Different desktops in Linux mint mate 17?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Henrik Jansson
Level 1
Level 1

Different desktops in Linux mint mate 17?

Post by Henrik Jansson »

In Linux there is a function that you can choose between 4 desktops by clicking on a icon on the the panel.
But all 4 desktops looks the same.

Is it possible in some way to have different desktops to choose? So you do not have the same icons on all 4 desktops, not tha same background, and maybe not the same panels?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Different desktops in Linux mint mate 17?

Post by jungle_boy »

I didn't know this function in Mate, I know it is possible that in KDE.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Henrik Jansson wrote:Is it possible in some way to have different desktops to choose? So you do not have the same icons on all 4 desktops, not tha same background, and maybe not the same panels?
Got me to investigate further, but I haven't found anything yet for MATE :(
You might inquire about or suggest a new feature on the project website http://mate-desktop.org/

OTOH I discovered that XFCE lets you have different backgrounds (wallpapers) for each workspace. Just untick one box in Desktop Settings.
kacernator

Post by kacernator »

Henrik Jansson wrote:In Linux there is a function that you can choose between 4 desktops by clicking on a icon on the the panel.
But all 4 desktops looks the same.

Is it possible in some way to have different desktops to choose? So you do not have the same icons on all 4 desktops, not tha same background, and maybe not the same panels?
As I know this features has only KDE desktop and it is called "Activities".
Henrik Jansson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Henrik Jansson »

Is it also possible in some way to have different panels on each workspace? Maybe also different themes, and if I put an icon on the desktop on one workspace, it will be only on that workspace, and not on all four?
pringled

Post by pringled »

kacernator wrote:
As I know this features has only KDE desktop and it is called "Activities".
XFCE let's you do it as well, but outright. I think that's the extent of it though. Activities are a pretty cool and super underrated concept, imo. Nice to see someone else is aware of how they function, 9/10 people kinda ignore them it seems, thanks to there being zero effort to integrate them into the rest of the DE or draw attention to their existence or purpose on KDE's part.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I use Xfce and Lxde but I used KDE for several years. Didn't use Activities either but that was because I never felt I needed to use it. Just having 4 workspaces is enough for me. Most users' posts on forums that I've read on the subject said much the same.

Never tried that in Xfce but I don't usually tweak the DE all that much (mostly just a side panel) and I don't have DE extensions. Xfce is largely about speed for me and using multiple backgrounds et al is going to slow things down a bit. All that adds up. YMMV.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”