Panel icons not movable... (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Panel icons not movable... (SOLVED)

Post by tenfoot »

Using LM17.1 MATE

From time to time when I boot my desktop computer the screen resolution is incorrect. Instead of the default 1920x1080 it goes to 1278x768 and all the panel icons move to the right. The reolution is easily remedied by opening the Control Centre and clicking on Monitors when, magically, it goes to the correct resolution.

The only problem remaining is the placement of the panel icons. In the past all I have had to do is untick "lock to panel" and then move them to where I want them and all will be well for several months, until the computer throws another "hissy" and I have to go through the correction procedure again.,

However, today, the procedure did not work. The resolution is correct but I cannot move the icons to my proferred position. Clicking with the right mouse button and hovering over "Move" and dragging to the left has no effect whatsoever.

Has anyone else experienced this problem anf dound an answer, please? If so, I'd be delighted to learn your secret :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
ibbill

Re: Panel icons not movable...

Post by ibbill »

tenfoot sorry have not had this problem. I did set my resolution that I want all the time to default via the monitor settings.

Question have you tried adding a new icon to the panel and see if you can move that one.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Panel icons not movable...

Post by tenfoot »

ibbill wrote:tenfoot sorry have not had this problem. I did set my resolution that I want all the time to default via the monitor settings.

Question have you tried adding a new icon to the panel and see if you can move that one.
Thanks for your response.

Delighted to report that for some reason known only to "computers" the problem is now sorted :lol: So, what happened? In reality I have no idea. Several hours after my reporting the problem, I unthinkingly tried to relocate an icon and was able to do so. Encouraged by this one instance, I then chose all the others in succession andwas able to place them where I wanted them and all remained in their place.

Hopefully this problem will not occur again. If it does, I'll report back.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)

Return to “MATE”