Moving downloaded apps from "all"

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angry_elf

Moving downloaded apps from "all"

Post by angry_elf »

I would really appreciate advice from anyone on this irritating problem. I'm running 17.1 with Mate, and have been very happy with it so far, but when I download and install programs, they always end up in the "all" drop down menu,(the app menu you get when you click on "menu" in the lower right hand of the screen) instead of in the appropriate folders, such as accessories, education, games, etc. I have tried right clicking on the menu and using edit, simply holding and dragging the icon to the appropriate folder, but nothing seems to work. Would someone be kind enough to clue me in?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Moving downloaded apps from "all"

Post by karlchen »

Hello, angry_elf.

You cannot remove applications from the "All" pseudo menu on any desktop environment, Mate, Cinnamon or xfce.
The reason is trivial:
There is no real menu named "All". It is merely a pseudo menu. Under "All" the Mint menu will display all application launchers which are present in any of the real sub-menus.

Conclusion:
In case an item appears under "All" it must be present in at least one real sub-menu. This sub-menu may, however, not be the one which you expect in some cases.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
angry_elf

Re: Moving downloaded apps from "all"

Post by angry_elf »

Thanks for you reply. I would be happy if I could somehow put certain applications in certain sub files, but it sounds like this would be impossible as well. At least I have an answer, and I'm still very happy with Mint. Best distro yet, IMO.

Return to “MATE”