Strange MATE Panel Drawer app behavior

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Strange MATE Panel Drawer app behavior

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff »

I've been using panel drawers for some time. I used to love them, they were my favorite panel app. I have three of them, each with four icons for things I use frequently. I just upgraded from Mint MATE 13 to 17.1, but strange behavior has been happening for two or three months, probably starting with some update or other. When I click the button, either the drawer doesn't open, it opens on the wrong monitor, the icons are in the wrong drawers, the drawers are empty, or the drawer stretches to take up the whole height of the screen with icons invisible off the top, or some combination thereof. Why is it doing this, and is there something I can do about it? The drawers used to be so convenient. :(

Here's a screenshot with them all open (the icons are just to look nice, those aren't actually the appliations they usually represent):
http://www.almightywebsite.com/img/drawers.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Strage MATE Panel Drawer app behavior

Post by MartyMint »

I don't know why...Drawer has been a problem on occasion.

On some boots, it's there. On others it isn't. Sometimes the drawer is empty.

I'm also using MATE. Wish I could help other than to say you're not alone.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Re: Strange MATE Panel Drawer app behavior

I reset the panel and had to re-arrange my panel apps and it's working for now. I suspect it will get screwy again because I didn't address the core problem.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Indeed, same as last time, rebooting made the drawers go all funny again...
Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera »

Dug up this thread because the same thing is happening to me. I'm glad it's normal abnormal behavior; the computer most of it is happening on mutters enough about wanting to retire.

I have several drawers on a left-side panel for frequently used items. Before today, I've had a disappearing drawer -- same one is gone now, drawer hates character palette -- and a stuck-shut drawer (character palette again). Today, I logged out and in again to get rid of a persistent printer tray icon, and all my drawers went rubber-band. Half of them take all the launchers to the far end, too -- there goes convenience, LOL.

Every time I think the dust has settled. :roll: All I can think of is to go hunting config files with my trusty text editor. [sigh] Or clutter the panels with custom launchers. :oops:

Hope it gets sorted out some time. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the minty goodness, drawers or no.
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.
Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera »

After wasting a lot of time looking for solutions that didn't seem to exist, I rebuilt most of my drawers. I temporarily dumped custom launchers on the desktop so I wouldn't have to do all the work over, then started deleting the drawers. During the deletion process, the "disappeared" drawer (containing character palette) reappeared! It was locked shut again. I think it was what messed things up. I have not tried to put the character palette in a drawer again, since it seems accursèd. All drawers, even the one I did not delete and re-do, are working fine now.

Dang...I really need that character palette, and it's a nuisance just sitting on the panel. [sigh] :(

Addendum: The character palette is indeed villainous. I dared myself to try it again, on a different panel, away from the other drawers. As soon as I added the cp, the drawer locked up. When I deleted the drawer, there was a major screen flicker, with panels and whatnot winking out and coming back. The other drawers, the ones I rebuilt, have lost a lot of launchers. All the customized ones, of course. :roll:

The character palette is hereafter banned from my desktop. No more nested widgetry.

No more drawers either, I guess. I started putting things back, and suddenly all the drawers went rubber-band again.
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

Return to “MATE”