[SOLVED] Button CANC doesn't send items to trash bin

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Button CANC doesn't send items to trash bin

Post by overkill22 »

I noticed this some times ago, if I select an item and then press "canc" this item will not go into the trash bin, but directly delete permanently.
In Caja 1.8.2 --> settings in the "behavior" (second tab, don't know if the translation is correct), at the bottom there are 2 checkboxes regarding the trash bin.
The last one is something like "add a command that overtake the trash bin".
I already unchecked this, but it is not working.

How can I solve?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Button CANC doesn't send items to trash bin

Post by ibbill »

Hi What is CANC and can you post a pic of the caja

Pardon my ineptness on this but where is this located

In Caja 1.8.2 --> settings in the "behavior" (second tab, don't know if the translation is correct), at the bottom there are 2 checkboxes regarding the trash bin.
The last one is something like "add a command that overtake the trash bin".
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Sorry, probably CANC is just on the Italian translation.
The button is DELETE and usually is on the top right corner of the keyboard
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - press the DELETE button on your keyboard,
has the same effect as DELETE from the R/click menu

- you have to click on "move to trash" to move it to the recycle bin. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Pierre wrote:yep - press the DELETE button on your keyboard,
has the same effect as DELETE from the R/click menu

- you have to click on "move to trash" to move it to the recycle bin. ..
there is no way to set a default action to move always to the recycle bin?
i think in lubuntu can do this, and if you want to skip the recycle bin you can press shift+delete.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

just noticed that all the files I deleted with the "delete" button, went in the hidden foler

Code: Select all

.trash-1000
So I couldn't see them in the trash bin or in other places. I noticed it because my HD space finish despite I was deleting a lot of files.
After deleting the folder trash-1000 I saved 120 GB of space.

This means that in Linux Mint MATE, if you delete the files using the button "delete" (top right of the keybord), these files don't go to the trash bin and also are not deleted. they simply go to a hidden folder somewhere in your computer.

Any hope to fix this and use the "delete" button as "send to the trash bin" ?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Moving to the trash bin can only be done, if you delete on the partition, where your home resides. You obviously delete something on a different partition or on a external drive. Moving deleted files from other partitions and drives to the trash bin (inside your home) would actually mean to copy them and then delete them physically. Depending from the amount and size of the deleted files this could take a huge time; further more the system would not know what to do with those files, if you would restore them, if the external drive would not be mounted at that time. Out of this the hidden folder .Trash-1000 (number is dependent from the user's GUID) gets created and used. At least on Cinnamon (I don't use Mate) the user gets asked, if those files shall get deleted, if you unmount the drive or partition. Otherwise deleting this folder is OK for freeing space.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Cosmo. wrote:Moving to the trash bin can only be done, if you delete on the partition, where your home resides. You obviously delete something on a different partition or on a external drive. Moving deleted files from other partitions and drives to the trash bin (inside your home) would actually mean to copy them and then delete them physically. Depending from the amount and size of the deleted files this could take a huge time; further more the system would not know what to do with those files, if you would restore them, if the external drive would not be mounted at that time. Out of this the hidden folder .Trash-1000 (number is dependent from the user's GUID) gets created and used. At least on Cinnamon (I don't use Mate) the user gets asked, if those files shall get deleted, if you unmount the drive or partition. Otherwise deleting this folder is OK for freeing space.
That's interesting. I didn't know that.
In fact I have all the folder usually stored in the HOME, linked in another partition (this is because if I want to change or reinstall OS don't have to format all my documents, images, music etc).

So, if I delete something on another partition it will ALWAYS go to the hidden folder (that is something like the trashbin). And in MATE no question asked before deleting.
If I want to delete completely the files, I have to manually delete the hidden folder.
Correct?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

overkill22 wrote:So, if I delete something on another partition it will ALWAYS go to the hidden folder (that is something like the trashbin).
Yes. But in Cinnamon also those objects in .Trash-1000 get shown, if the trash bin in nemo (the Cinnamon-file-manager) gets opened. Whether there is a limitation in mate not doing the same is something, an experienced user with mate has to answer.
overkill22 wrote:If I want to delete completely the files, I have to manually delete the hidden folder.
Correct?
As said, in Cinnamon this is not necessary, but if the DE does not give another option, than you must do it this way. It is safe, the folder .Trash-1000 gets automatically re-created, when you delete the next object via trash bin.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Cosmo. wrote:
overkill22 wrote:So, if I delete something on another partition it will ALWAYS go to the hidden folder (that is something like the trashbin).
Yes. But in Cinnamon also those objects in .Trash-1000 get shown, if the trash bin in nemo (the Cinnamon-file-manager) gets opened. Whether there is a limitation in mate not doing the same is something, an experienced user with mate has to answer.

I don't think that CAJA (the MATE-file-manager) offer this option. I wait some MATE expert user to answer

Return to “MATE”