Clone my mate panels to new machine

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xXx

Clone my mate panels to new machine

Post by xXx »

Hello there fellow mint users.
Here is my situation:
I have Linux Mint 17.1 Mate 64bit.
I have two customized mate panels (with many mandatory launchers on them) apart from the default Mint panel.
Is there any way to clone these panels to a new Mint Mate system?
I know i can re-make them from scratch, but this is very time-consuming.
I need to make one ( perhaps two ) Mint systems for backup scenarios, so i can be Up N Running in no time.
Thanks in advance.
xXx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Clone my mate panels to new machine

Post by ibbill »

Sorry have never heard of anyone ever doing that.I have search every where for an answer with no luck.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

You should have config files under your home dir; I don't use mate, but if they're not weirdly named, then
$ cd
$ find -iname "*mate*"
should show you where they are.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Why not simply setup one machine the way you like, and then clone the system to a custom installation image that you can then install anywhere you like. Here's a link to help you out.

http://www.howtogeek.com/109736/how-to- ... cd-or-usb/
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
xXx

Post by xXx »

I have found a somewhat "faster" solution than creating my panels from scratch:
All my scripts are in /home/username/work/scripts/ they are about 80 bash scripts (with icons and names associated in panels to the original system).
a) copy all the .desktop files from /home/username/.config/mate/panel2.d/default/launchers/ from the original system, to a new location.
b) copy all my scripts and from /home/username/work/ from the original system, to a new system at the exact same location.
so in the new system (as well as i have had in the original) i have:
/home/username/work/scripts
/home/username/work/icons
/home/username/work/apps
c) move the previously copied .desktop files to the new system in /home/username/work/apps/
Now i have all my "apps" ready to operate from /home/username/work/apps/ by double clicking on the icons.
Eventually i am re-creating the panels by just dragging and dropping icons from /home/username/work/apps/ to newly created panels in the new system.
Now all characteristics (icons,names,descriptions) are already set for my scripts (much less work) to the panels.
Once i have tgzipped my /home/username/work directory, i can move it to any new system that has a user named like the one in the original system,
or one could simply do sed -i 's/userold/usernew/g' *.desktop while in /home/usernew/work/apps/ and "apps" will be ready to operate again.
Not the solution i really wanted, but faster than creating from scratch and has some other benefits too (i.e. one can copy the .desktop files to /usr/share/applications and have it in the menus ready in no time,
much more portable, much more easily re-configurable).
Hope this helps someone out there...
Thank you for all the answers.
I really liked the cmost's answer and when i have the time i will try it ( it's been for a long time in my to-do list ).

Return to “MATE”