'Add to desktop' not working 'SOLVED'

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leadwtZ

'Add to desktop' not working 'SOLVED'

Post by leadwtZ »

I can place applications on the panel, using the right click option prior to opening an app, but the 'add to desktop' is not working. I have just had to do a complete re-install (LMmate 17) followed by online upgrade to Rebecca due to other issues but it worked ok before that.

Is this a broken install/programme somewhere?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 'Add to desktop' not working

Post by Fornhamfred »

Yes I have tried this on another distro and it does not work. However if you want to move items from the menu to the desktop you can left click the item and drag it to the desktop.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It seems to work ok on my system but I installed 17.1 Mate directly not an upgrade.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that on the 3 installs that I made of Linux Mint ( 2 in VBox and one real ) Mint doesn't seem to take kindly to upgrades from 17.0 to 17.1. I ended up installing 17.1 directly instead on the VBox one I kept.. Could be a user error on my part.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Fornhamfred wrote:Yes I have tried this on another distro and it does not work. However if you want to move items from the menu to the desktop you can left click the item and drag it to the desktop.
Thanks but afraid that does not work. I have found out that it is a 'permissions' issue but how to resolve that? More searching.
altair4 wrote:It seems to work ok on my system but I installed 17.1 Mate directly not an upgrade.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that on the 3 installs that I made of Linux Mint ( 2 in VBox and one real ) Mint doesn't seem to take kindly to upgrades from 17.0 to 17.1. I ended up installing 17.1 directly instead on the VBox one I kept.. Could be a user error on my part.
That is interesting because I find that the system is running quite a bit slower since this upgrade. :D First time around I upgraded with no issues at all. :?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Where did you right-click to place an app on the desktop?

I've tried it in mintMenu - works fine for me in both Mint 17.1 Rebecca and LMDE 2 Betsy.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Monsta wrote:Where did you right-click to place an app on the desktop?

I've tried it in mintMenu - works fine for me in both Mint 17.1 Rebecca and LMDE 2 Betsy.
Hi, just in the 'menu'. You get the option to 'add to desktop' 'add to panel' etc.

I was just about to 'solve' this as re-installed 17.00 then upgraded again to 17.1. Everything is working better. Must have been one of those little gremlins that run around in Linux. MInd you much better than the elephants that run around in Windows!!

Thanks all.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

leadwtZ wrote:Hi, just in the 'menu'. You get the option to 'add to desktop' 'add to panel' etc.
Yes, this is mintMenu.

Return to “MATE”