Mint 17.1 + Mate - where is that mateconf-editor?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 17.1 + Mate - where is that mateconf-editor?

Post by sebbo »

hi there,

new to Linux Mint. And new to Desktop Linux. I'm very ambitious to switch completely from Windows to Linux by end of this year. I have some years experience with Linux on those singleboard computers (Raspberry, Odroid etc.) but Desktop LInux has always failed to keep me interested for more than a few weeks. But times have changed and i'm very interested in giving this a try.

So. My First question:

i have seen a lot of tutorials and postings that mention the use of the "mateconf-editor". It seesm that in the version i installed which is Mint 17.1 with Mate (i think - but i'm not sure - version 1.8.1) it is not pre-installed any more.

I googled and it says you can

sudo apt-get install mate-conf-editor

but it cant find it in the repositories that come with pre installation.

I tried to find another one but no success so far.

Any hint?

excuse me if this is a stupid question. There might follow a few one from me in the next time ;)

Thank you!

br
sebastian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 17.1 + Mate - where is that mateconf-editor?

Post by sebbo »

While waiting for approval for the thread, i figured out that installation is somehow possible via the GUI Package manager.

Can someone explain me the difference between cli apt-get and the (Synaptic?) package manager?

mateconf-editor is now installed and can be openend, but it does not seem to conain anything.

I was initially searching for the config editor because it was mentioned in a posting that discussed how to change the default mint wallpaper that is also used on the lock screen.

Thanks!!
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Newer versions use dconf-editor instead.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sebbo »

dconf-editor

that works. Had to install it first though.

Thanks a lot!

Return to “MATE”