17.1 MATE *side-by-side tiling* horrible bug

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freed00m

17.1 MATE *side-by-side tiling* horrible bug

Post by freed00m »

Hello,

The problem is:
Enable side-by-side tiling combined with Macro set in window preferences.

Then by draging windows to the sides will spawn a red rectangle (before dropping) showing you the new size area the window will be resized to.

The problem is with the red rectangle overlays, because enabled side-by-side tiling are shown even on maximizing windows (drag'n'dopped on the top of the workspace). When done quickly, the red rectangles are stuck there and you can't click anything, I have to switch workspace back and forth or manually click mintMenu to get rid of the stucked red overlays.

If anyone comes across any kind of a solution, please tell me, I really wan't to use side-by-side tiling.

P.S. It happens on MATE 1.8 on all systems I know it has MATE.

I am not using compiz, I use "Macro" which I think is when you enable compositing. I use compositing because without it brightness OSD is broken (grey square), when volume OSD works fine withou compositing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
freed00m

Re: 17.1 MATE *side-by-side tiling* horrible bug

Post by freed00m »

I reported a bug and it seems to be fixed with latest update.
Red overlays are no longer present for me.
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-desktop/issues/165

:( to bad, then perhaps it wasn't the update?

You can reopen this I guess and I'll look into dconf if I find any suspicious value I changed.

Note, I updated kernel (version in my signature) and level 4 + 5 This mean xorg and mesa also got updated.

Marco / nonmarco (without compositioning) doesn't seems to fix the issue. With marco I had transparrency overlays.
freed00m

Post by freed00m »

I also fixed the OSD gray square for brightness adjustments when compositioning is off.

I don't know if that helped with the overlaying
You might try to apply this patch for the gray square.

file /usr/share/mate-power-manager/acme.ui

https://gist.github.com/nachanon/458ea39d53518d63f87c

I didn't know how to apply gist patch so I did it manualy by removing red lines and adding the green ones :D

Return to “MATE”