need help with default file manager - mint 17 mate

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikira

need help with default file manager - mint 17 mate

Post by mikira »

hi to all

i want to set thunar as default file manager in mint mate 17 but caja seems to manage my desktop only and thunar as preferred application manages all other, is there any way to set thunar to be default in whole systrem and if possible remove or disable caja permanently.. or if there are some other file managers u can recommend that are light and simple as thunar.

thanx in advance

greetings from croatia :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: need help with default file manager - mint 17 mate

Post by karlchen »

Hello, mikira.

I am not a Mate desktop user. So I do not use Caja. Yet, nonetheless, I know this:
+ Caja is the default file-manager on the Mate desktop
+ Thunar is the default file-manager on the xfce desktop
+ Nemo is the default file-manager on the Cinnamon desktop
All three file-managers are (modified) forks of the Ubuntu file-manager Nautilus. (Sorry, not sure Thunar is a Nautilus fork, maybe not.)
Although there may be minor differences between Caja, Thunar and Nemo, they should be pretty similar. Therefore I will not recommend replacing the Mate file-manager by the xfce file-manager on a Mate desktop environment.

What you can, however, do is e.g. add a second file-manager which is more to your liking to your system.
E.g. I added the two-panel file-manager Gnome Commander on all of my systems, xfce desktop or Cinnamon desktop. It will not handle the desktop. It will merely serve as a file-manager for operations on files and folders.

In case you have questions on how to use Caja correctly for particular purposes, you should ask and wait for a Mate user to explain. I would be amazed if there were tasks which can be accomplished by Thunar, but not by Caja. But who knows?

Cheers,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added note that I am not really sure that Thunar is a Nautilus fork, maybe the xfce guys created it from scratch
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

@karlchen
Thanks for jumping on here with your answer and for the gnome commander reference. I installed it and it looks very interesting.

@mikira
I use LM 17.1 Mate and have thunar installed, but not as the default file manager. It works very well that way.
Caja has a problem with the file names under the icons at times. They seem to disappear, but actually turn very light gray.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Thunar is a fork of Nautilus? I'm not sure about that.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Buzzsaw.

Maybe I am wrong, and Thunar only looks to me like it might be a Nautilus fork, whereas in fact the xfce guys created it from scratch. Sorry to have called it a fork in this case. :oops:

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
mikira

Post by mikira »

thanx for the answers guys, well i belive that the best way is to switch to xfce :D cause i used it a long time and got used to it, and thunar is simple and easy to set up and use caja is harder and complicated, i switched to mate cause xfce on mint 17 got harder on hardware not as in previous version like 13 i had that was far lighter and faster, mate seems fine but i cant get used to it it misses some things that i liked on xfce.. thanx anyway guys
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

i am posting after you seemed to make a decision to leave Mate. I am fairly new to MInt17.1 , 17.2 and had problem s with Caja ,too, was confusing and -thanks for the aside comment on the text under icons disappearing, I thought it was something i did wrong.
but,i read about PCman fm and Nemo , installed them both, made a desktop shorcut to a superuser pc man fm too. and, put in gnome two panel commander.
Now, after 11months using Linux/mint17 i finally got Caja down, like it except for that disappearing text i just found out about from you
thanks for the help
In case you get back to Mint Mate, caja is really fairly easy and light. i put it into an older parts machine and works quite well. all parts in this machine are 5yrs old cpu, gpu and board as well as ddr3memory which isnt really out of date. xfce may have been an option were the parts a bit older as it was a lighter/faster version when i first checked all Linux desktops out last year
good luck anyway.

Return to “MATE”