Automounting link to data partition SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Neville
Level 1
Level 1

Automounting link to data partition SOLVED

Post by Neville »

Is it possible to create a link on the desktop that takes you to a data partition without having to mount it every time?
The data partition is used by Windows and I would like to access it the same way as I do in Windows.
This question also applies to Ubuntu as well, if anyone can help me.

Cheers
Nev
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Automounting link to data partition

Post by altair4 »

Neville wrote:Is it possible to create a link on the desktop that takes you to a data partition without having to mount it every time?
No. You can't link to something that as far as the OS is concerned doesn't exist.

If your question is a two-parter: Can I automount a data partition then create a link to it on the desktop? The answer is yes.

You can actually do both my mounting it under /media:

*** Create a mount point:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/Data
*** Edit /etc/fstab and add as the last line something that looks like this ( I'm assuming this is an NTFS partition - An ext4 partition would be different ):

UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/Data ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
Note: To find the correct UUID number for your partition run this command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
*** If this data partition is currently mounted unmount it.

*** Then remount it with this command which also does a syntax check of your fstab statement:

sudo mount -a
You should end up with a mount icon on your desktop to that partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Neville
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Automounting link to data partition

Post by Neville »

Thanks Altair4,
I will give that a go. I am trying to set it up so that my wife can use it. She would prefer it to be the same as Windows i.e. one click on a link and you are there!!! :roll: :roll:

Cheers
Nev
ronkz

Re: Automounting link to data partition SOLVED

Post by ronkz »

@Altair, in my view this is the best of all your many helpful efforts. I just used it, it's easy, and it's beautiful indeed! Thank you!

Return to “MATE”