Why does MATE look different in Mint?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Why does MATE look different in Mint?

Post by Fred Barclay »

I used the MATE edition of Mint some time ago, and was a bit confused. I understood it to be the continuation of Gnome 2, but it looked nothing like it--in fact, it sort of reminded me of Windows 10. I figured that looks are not everything, since Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3 and looks nothing like it (and is far superior, IMHO)
Now, however, I just installed MATE as a desktop in Debian Jessie. It looks so similar to Gnome 2! Why is the same desktop different in Mint and Debian?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why does MATE look different in Mint?

Post by tenfoot »

Is it because Mint uses the Mint Menu by default and places the Panel on the bottom of the screen, whereas Debian uses the Menu Bar (I think) and places the Panel at the top of the screen?
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
raptir

Post by raptir »

Yeah, as above it's simply a matter of the default configuration being different. You can remove the mintmenu from the panel, add a top panel and add the standard menu if you want. Xfce sees similar changes in Mint, where it uses whiskermenu instead of the default application menu, and puts the panel at the bottom.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

The beauty of Linux DE's in general (including MATE) is that everything is highly customizable. You can have MATE look like traditional Gnome 2, Windows XP, Windows 7, Apple's Mac OS, XFCE or literally anything in between. Enjoy! :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “MATE”