[Rebecca] GUI is sluggish after opening two applications

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chickengod

[Rebecca] GUI is sluggish after opening two applications

Post by chickengod »

So, I haven't seen this issue in Qiana when I open Firefox and Chromium. I have done a reinstall twice and I keep getting the same issue. I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

I am using an Atom N570 with integrated GMA3150 chipset with 1GB RAM. My older ASUS 1000HE which has an N450 and Intel GMA950 with 1GB RAM doesn't have this issue with Qiana 32bit.

Interestingly enough, this sluggishness also happens in a game I play, Tales of Maj'Eyal 1.2.5. The same version is installed on the ASUS but its performance outshines my Rebecca system.

I can't seem to figure out the cause of the issue myself. I have tried changing settings using driconf. In my first install, I tried using the unrecommended updates just to see if things would change. I am almost tempted to try the unrecommended software updates again but thought I'd ask first before I do something that I regret.

In case it helps, I am running Turpial and Deluge in the background when this happens. However, it doesn't make a difference even if I turn off these programs.

EDIT: I ran the game again and disabled OpenGL shaders. it runs faster now. But the sluggishness still continues on the GUI.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BlackVeils

Re: [Rebecca] GUI is sluggish after opening two applications

Post by BlackVeils »

to me it seems clear, unfortunately in this day and age of the internet, the web browser is a very heavy program. it seems you are maxing out your ram, or using enough that the system is using swap.

2 browsers open with 1gb of ram is a lot, and you say other programs are running.

the better performance with your slower computer is likely due to using 64-bit (if thats what you have), and 64-bit systems require more ram!

so, put simply, try these things:

* use a 32-bit system

* change swappiness value to 5, how-to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapF ... ange_it.3F

* install flashblock and adblock plus in the firefox and chrome if available.

* maybe install 'preload', i think that will use more ram, but it will be faster to load something which has already been used in a session.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install preload
* use a light desktop and lighter program alternatives where possible, for faster performance and less ram consumption. the xfce desktop would be ideal.
chickengod

Post by chickengod »

BlackVeils wrote: the better performance with your slower computer is likely due to using 64-bit (if thats what you have), and 64-bit systems require more ram!
I did not know this.
* use a 32-bit system
Am I under-utilizing my CPU if I go this route?
* change swappiness value to 5, how-to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapF ... ange_it.3F
I've done this and unfortunately, it has not made a difference.
* install flashblock and adblock plus in the firefox and chrome if available.
I'll add this and see how performance goes.
* maybe install 'preload', i think that will use more ram, but it will be faster to load something which has already been used in a session.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install preload
Ah, you learn something new everyday. Thanks!
* use a light desktop and lighter program alternatives where possible, for faster performance and less ram consumption. the xfce desktop would be ideal.
I can't seem to get comfortable with XFCE. I may add this as another DE and see how it pans out.

Overall, i have not noticed these issues when this same netbook had Qiana. I was thinking there might be a bug or something I can tweak in the settings. I'll try your suggestions though and see how it works out in the next few days and update this with a reply. Th
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You may have 3D hardware acceleration problems with that card. I can't find anything for ubuntu 14.04 (the Mint 17 base and a good place to look). But have a look at this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/109731/f ... 786#109786

Whatever you find, don't do it if it does not specifically say it works with ubuntu 14.04. Especially if it involves a 3rd party ppa, which you should avoid anyway. That video card is old enough that if there were any such patched they'd have been moved from upstream into the current kernel anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”