where is all the sound in MATE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

where is all the sound in MATE?

Post by TJMcK »

I'm still getting used to LM17 Mate... one of the things I can't find is: Where are all the "event sounds" found in the control centre? Are sounds no longer a part of the desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: where is all the sound in MATE?

Post by coffee412 »

Right click on your little sound speaker icon on the lower right of your panel and choose properties.

Should get you there.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TJMcK »

coffee412 wrote:Right click on your little sound speaker icon on the lower right of your panel and choose properties.

Should get you there.
Actually I don't have a sound speaker icon in my panel...
I had no sound and other hardware issues a few weeks ago (since I upgraded from 17 to 17.1), so I upgraded to the current dev kernel. I have sound now, but the icon disappeared.

(I didn't have any sound effects before either... do I need to run Compiz for sound effects? I prefer not to run Compiz.)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

menu - control center - hardware - sound preferences
- check that your hardware is listed correctly/
- check which sound effects work okay.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TJMcK »

Pierre wrote:menu - control center - hardware - sound preferences
- check that your hardware is listed correctly/
- check which sound effects work okay.
Thanks for the quick reply Pierre.
I have no "sound preferences" under hardware. I only have: "Mate volume control". There is no option for testing sound. There are two tabs in MVC: 1) Playback and 2) Sound Themes. The sound theme tab only has two options" 1) no sound and 2) Linux mint theme. BUT the LM theme only has one option, and thats options for the alert sound! :( (I wouldn't really call that a theme...)

EDITED LATER: While looking for a MATE package in Synapse, I noticed that mint-meta-mate was not installed. And I recalled, some time ago, a discussion about how the meta info was an important part for the installation of a particular desktop. So I installed mint-meta-mate. What it did was, removed the mate-*-gstreamer packages and installed mate-*-pulse packages. Now I don't know why this occurred, but it did change the sound preferences. I now have a "sound" icon in the hardware section, and there are about five different tabs. It does have a sound effects tab; and in this tab there is an extra option to "enable window and button sounds", BUT it does not work! In the hardware tab you can test speakers, and I tried all the available devices, but the "test speakers" does NOT work! (BTW, I did reboot just in case...)
So, these package changes didn't help with my sound problems (even though it now does give me more options).
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Hi not sure whats going on with your sound I ended up installing PulseAudio Volume Control via synaptic.

my play back pic
catilley1092
Level 1
Level 1

Post by catilley1092 »

coffee412 wrote:Right click on your little sound speaker icon on the lower right of your panel and choose properties.

Should get you there.

coffee
That's what got me there also a few minutes ago through Displayport, though I found the solution in another Topic here. It's odd though, I fiddled with the very same settings accessing from the Start Menu > Sound & got nowhere. Don't understand the difference between accessing the same Sound Control via a different method, however it worked & it's all that counts.

Thanks for adding this as a solution.

System Specs:
Linux Mint 17.1 MATE x64
Dell XPS 8700
Intel i7-4770 CPU (3.40GHz w/3.90GHz Turbo Boost)
MSI R770 PMD1GD5 1GiB GDDR5 GHz Edition (AMD Radeon HD 7770)
Intel HD 4600 Graphics (Disabled)
7.1 Maxx Waves Audio (Disabled)
12GiB RAM (upgrade to 24GiB on the way)

Happy New Year!

Cat
Proud Linux Mint user since 2009
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Awesome glad it worked out for you.

Open your first post click edit and where you typed "where is all the sound in MATE?" insert SOLVED in front of the word where.

Again really happy it all worked out.
TJMcK
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TJMcK »

I'm the person who originally posted this message, and I still only have the one alert sound that the MATE desktop makes. I do have sound -- in general -- my music and video sound works perfectly.

To make my question clearer, I'm wanting sounds associated with my windows (and desktop operations). Example: I want a sound for when I minimize a window, and I want another sound for when my window is closed, and a different sound for when I open a window, etc. Is there no options for sounds like this in MATE? (As mentioned earlier, I do not want to run Compiz.)
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

5th post down it is for 1.6 but may be worth a shot let us know please

http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2845

I tried it never worked for me but I have pulse audio installed so not sure if it will work for you or not.

Return to “MATE”