<SOLVED> Mint 17 Mate 32 bit main panel without start button

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bejo

<SOLVED> Mint 17 Mate 32 bit main panel without start button

Post by bejo »

Hi everybody.

My start button has suddenly disappeared. By rightclicking on the main panel I get to a menu to add things to the panel - the original startbutton including the search functionality unfortunately is not in there.
The start button disappeared after a tryed to install python 2.7 in order to find out about add-on prgramming for thunderbird. It did not work out, because the installation of the openssl part did not work. I rebooted the system and now the start button is gone.
I did not find any helpful hints here or via google. Other users experience a loss of the main panel - I lost only the start button on it.
Does anybody know how to get it back? Does it have something to do with my unsuccessfull python installation? I am glad for every answer.

Thank you for your help. Johannes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint 17 Mate 32 bit main panel without start button

Post by all41 »

try:

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
bejo

Post by bejo »

Thank you for the answer all41.
It is not working. I found this command before by googling and tryed it out a couple of times. All it does, is that my panel is empty afterwards. The start button still is missing.
Does it have something to do with the python installation? Where can it come from, if not from there?

Thanks again for all hints.
Regards, Johannes.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi Johannes,
Have you tried to reset your menu?

Code: Select all

mintmenu --reset
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
bejo

Post by bejo »

Hi again.

Thanks for the answer. Also this did not work. I installed Linux Mint 17.1 xfce - the problem logically does not occur any more. The python version now is 2.7.6 which should work without changes for me. So there is no need to install any python version and I hope I will keep my mint start button forever now;-)

Best wishes to everybody, Johannes.

Return to “MATE”