Caja window tab - font not visible in Icon mode

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PGG

Caja window tab - font not visible in Icon mode

Post by PGG »

Upgrade from 17 Mate to 17.1 Mate all OK, except …

For the Window Appearance I use "Ambiance-Orange" with Ubuntu font to get back to the Ubuntu 10.04 look that I was previously perfectly satisfied with until the dreaded Unity reared its ugly head.

Now, in Caja, opening initial file manager window view OK, but when opening a new tab, default displaying as Icon mode, the caption font is not visible, greyed out, or only the faint shadow emphasis. Changing to list mode the font is perfectly OK, in Compact view the font again is not visible. All subsequent tabs opened exhibit the same behaviour. Only in Caja file manager, all other applications OK.

Changing the font to another, cold booting or etc. do not change the situation. Something happens (or does not happen) when invoking a 'New Tab'.

I note that 17.1 Mate uses overall Mate version 1.8.1. The version of Caja is reporting Caja 1.8.2. Is this an anomoly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Caja window tab - font not visible in Icon mode

Post by WinterTroubles »

Just a thought, as I don't use Mate, but, assuming that this issue isn't present with default theme, did you install the theme through PPA or as a direct download.. if installed as a direct download, is it the latest version. I'm asking because if it's the 'Ambience & Radiance colours suite' it was updated a few weeks ago and possibly an older version just doesn't play nice with an under the hood change in 17.1 Mate.

Edit.. The gnome-look page that shows the latest version number etc. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=147891
PGG

Post by PGG »

Thanks for your second pair of eyes onto what angle should be considered for this problem. Installed are:

Code: Select all

caja                        1.8.2-0+rebecca   amd64
caja-common                 1.8.2-0+rebecca   all
caja-extensions-common      1.8.0-0+qiana     all
caja-folder-color-switcher  1.0.3             all
caja-gksu                   1.8.0-0+qiana     amd64
caja-open-terminal          1.8.0-0+qiana     amd64

ambiance-colors             14.04.7-1~webupd8~ravefinity~0    all
This does now seem to be an issue with the 'ambiance-colours' package not meshing nicely with the Caja of the Mint Mate 17.1 update. The Caja tab opening in the default 17.1 Mint-X scheme works OK, but not when 'ambiance' theme (or any other non-Mint theme) has been applied later.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

Not being a Mate user I'm unsure of how themes works on your system.. So can't offer any specific advice and I assume that Mint-x orange doesn't quite do it for you.

I have ambience installed on my system and as it seems to be causing issues for you I wonder if you've tried http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=151181 as it's similar.

Other than that I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, although that doesn't mean another Mate user won't be able to offer other suggestions.
PGG

Post by PGG »

Yes, the Crunchy variation of Ambiance seems to work well - certainly the tabs in Caja no longer lose the fonts visibility. Most of the other displays seem to be up to par, albiet the windows switcher on the bottom panel only display the window shape thumbnails instead of the application icons or mini page representation thumbnails. But this is just something to get used to, with a little time using it...

I will try it some more, but keep an eye the previous 'Amibiance-Orange' theme to see if there is any change in the next increment. Trying to post a couple bug reports... I will put a 'solved' on on it when this comes about.

Thanks for your suggestions, appreciated.

-PGG-
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

PGG wrote:Thanks for your suggestions, appreciated.

-PGG-

You're welcome :)
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

I haven't got an answer for this but I am having the same problem with the Aurora theme. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=184691 Looks like this could be a bug of some sort as it's affecting more than one user and theme.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
PGG

Post by PGG »

@caz

I have posted a query on the http://gnome-look.org page hosting the 'Ambiance-xxx' theme, I assume that the 'Aurora' theme is also hosted somewhere there. Perhaps you might like to ask a similar question there also? Probably should put something on the 'Mate' forum as well.
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by caz »

@ PGG

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into posting a query for the Aurora theme.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
temcat

Post by temcat »

I encountered the same problem in the freshly updated Mint 17.1 MATE using Mist theme. By temporarily changing the theme to Mint-X and then back to Mist, I could restore font visibility in Caja's tabs.
temcat

Post by temcat »

As an update, this is still a problem for me.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

I have the same problem. Switching the theme temporarily fixes the issue with the grayed out text, but switching folders makes it reappear. I use Linux Mint 17.1 Mate.

I think I may have found a solution:

1. Open the Caja file browser

2. From the menu, select Edit -> Background and Emblems...

3. Drag the "Reset" pattern tile onto the folder that you want to reset (with the grayed out folder name)

Let me know if this works for you too.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I can reproduce it with several themes - Mist, Clearlooks, TraditionalOk...
No second tab required, just switch between compact and icon view (maybe several times) to make the font turn gray.
Mint-X and Menta aren't affected.

So it seems to be the issue in some themes, not in Caja itself.
Lando Calrissian

Post by Lando Calrissian »

I am using Linux Mint 17.1 Mate edition (x64). I had the same problem with invisible font in Caja with TraditionalOk theme.
I fixed my fonts in TraditionalOk with the following command:
sudo rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf
It will turn your fonts thin (which I like). I suggest you use "Best shapes" in font setting. I use Sans font size 10.

Additional tip: If you want Firefox to look native to your system font settings:
Open Firefox and visit about.config then set layout.css.dpi to 0. Then restart Firefox and the Firefox UI fonts should now follow system font settings.
Firefox application fonts have looked out of place in Ubuntu/Mint for 5 years. I don't know why because it's such an easy fix.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Lando Calrissian wrote:Additional tip: If you want Firefox to look native to your system font settings:
Open Firefox and visit about.config then set layout.css.dpi to 0. Then restart Firefox and the Firefox UI fonts should now follow system font settings.
According to Mozilla knowledge base and Arch Linux wiki, this tweak only has effect if your system's DPI is different from 96.
Lando Calrissian

Post by Lando Calrissian »

Monsta wrote:
Lando Calrissian wrote:Additional tip: If you want Firefox to look native to your system font settings:
According to Mozilla knowledge base and Arch Linux wiki, this tweak only has effect if your system's DPI is different from 96.
I use DPI 96 (default). Firefox fix works perfectly.
temcat

Post by temcat »

Looks like I've just found a reliable workaround. In Caja, choose Edit > Backgrounds and Emblems, then choose Colors and drag a non-white square (e.g. Apparition) to the folder background. Now font color will stay black even when a tab is opened.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Should be fixed by now in Caja 1.12.4 (in Mint 17.3).

Return to “MATE”