[solved] Qiana: Black screen after successful boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schleichkatze

[solved] Qiana: Black screen after successful boot

Post by Schleichkatze »

Mint 17 resides on a luks encrypted disk and is configured to autologin to the default user.

This morning, I bootet the machine: entered the pass phrase and all seemed to run well - except that Mate did not start up correctly. Instead showing the destop, only a black screen with a moveable mouse pointer is displayed. Clicking the the places, where are usually icons or buttons on the screen had no effect. Also the keyboard had no effect.

Next I entered a console via ctrl-alt-F2 logged in and started dmesg - no irregular message.

Next I started the machine with ubuntu 12.04 (on another disk) and then started Qiana on the Mint disk from VirtualBox and got exactly the same results: black screen with mouse pointer.

How to fix this issue?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pregrine
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Qiana: Black screen after successful boot

Post by pregrine »

Found the culprit: Parcellite.

Two days ago, I added a call to Parcellite to ~\.profile, because all other methods failed to get it started automatically at login.

The first strange effect was, that any mate-terminal after launching displayed a text from the clipboard as a kind of "message of the day" - not very nice, but also no desaster. The second effect are difficulties with Mate, causing problems at desktop startup or causing Mate to hang forever starting up.

Return to “MATE”