caja crashes when toggling 'show hidden files'

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

caja crashes when toggling 'show hidden files'

Post by linx255 »

- Mint 17 Mate 64-bit

Not a serious problem, but a minor nuissance particularly when setting up Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: caja crashes when toggling 'show hidden files'

Post by all41 »

How about using the Package Manager/Edit/Fix Broken Packages
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

It does this right out of the box after a fresh install and also in LiveCD. Fixing broken packages via Synaptic does not work, not surprisingly because it's not a dependency issue; all dependencies are accounted for. But even after trying that, an unstoppable, unending cascade of caja windows began to open, and mate-panel became unresponsive. Had to killall -9 caja from terminal. :( Can you reproduce the crash while booted into your LiveCD?
ofb

Post by ofb »

Live Mate 17 v2 64bit. No crash on my test box.

Nor does it occur on the install on my main box, or on the install on that test box.

That's a really strange error for a hardware issue to produce. Does your box do anything else odd?

EDIT: are you using the same Live ISO as you installed with? Could be a bum download or burn. Check that.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

I installed Mint from my one and only Mint 17 Mate 64-bit LiveCD ( USB stick, so no burn ), which I downloaded on or near the day it came out. You use "v2"; I don't know what version I use, or if it's a bad .ISO, but regardless, apt-get update / upgrade should conform my system to the latest, right? Does not Mint repair itself that way? I thought I was always using the latest kernel, latest packages, and everything. But, if it's a bad download, and Mint does not repair itself with update / upgrade, then I need to learn how to compare md5 checksums, huh?

And here's something else to consider: There are other issues I have that others with the same Mint version don't. I do kind of get the feeling that I'm not running the same thing as everyone else, but at the same time, I'm using very new, advanced, and unique hardware; don't know how that affects performance if at all. Just a wild guess but maybe my machine is faster than the ones Mint was developed on; perhaps there are race conditions or something that weren't a problem on machines slower than mine. My machine is so smoking fast I can't even keep up with it. It finishes everything so friggin' instantly I don't even have a chance to see what's going on! If timing is an issue it seems liable to crash some things and piss off some folks, like trying to flooring your sports car on a short neighborhood street. I don't know! :lol:
Last edited by linx255 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofb

Post by ofb »

but regardless, apt-get update / upgrade should conform my system to the latest, right?
Yup.
But, if it's a bad download, and Mint does not repair itself with update / upgrade, then I need to learn how to compare md5 checksums, huh?
Yup. Life is full of learning.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
I don't know!
Inhaled today, did we?

An overtorqued system can be instable.

But first things first. Make sure your downloaded a complete ISO by checking the ISO.

Next is check the intergity of the USB. If you tap Spacebar during the ten second countdown at the start of a Live session boot, you will get a number of options, including one to check the integrity of your DVD/USB.

It's currently useless.

Instead, slot the USB and open the file "MD5SUMS". Rightclick "open in terminal" to open a terminal in there beside that file, and then run the command that file tells you to.

You will get at least one error complaining about 6 nonstandard lines. Ignore that. That's just because of those six lines added to the file to give you the instructions you read.

You should get no other errors. If you do, make a new Live-USB with your md5sum-checked ISO.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Yup. Life is full of learning.
:roll: Oh come now, humans don't learn jack. We're trying to go to Mars and haven't even figured out how to live on earth, and we're on the brink of extinction. :lol: Or as George Carlin said, "We can't take care of ourselves and we want to save the f*n planet??" :lol: Just thought I'd check to see if md5 was necessary to learn; no sense in spending the time learning anything I know I won't use. A bazillion things to know about computers, and no matter who you are you only need to know a handful of the totality to do whatever work you do with it. Know what I mean? :lol: Not trying to cut corners just taking it slow and only going where really necessary.
Inhaled today, did we?
Actually no, sadly. I cannot breathe and it's extremely hard to get work done. :(

At any rate thanks for info, I'll do that if I have time and see what happens. Much appreciated.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

UPDATE!

Today I had two caja windows open, a couple of vlcs, and a terminal, nothing else. For no apparent reason, my caja windows crashed, disappeared, and then mate-panel started launching a bazillion cajas! I've noticed that caja occasionally crashes like this before, but now it does it regularly, almost daily. Md5 checksum is fine, and I've updated and upgraded with apt-get, and still, this.

Return to “MATE”