Cant access Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wolverine789

Cant access Desktop

Post by wolverine789 »

I can no longer access desktop. I beleive its happened since I installed and added the 'numlockx' application to my startup. I can get to a terminal and have rebooted from there but the system just stops at a black screen. Entering startx is even worse in that I dont even have mouse activity. How can I go back to my previous working state? I have LM17 with MATE. Can anyone please help? :(

PS - Since posting have tried to run commands at terminal and getting error msg - WARNING **: Unable to start: Cannot open display:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cant access Desktop

Post by austin.texas »

wolverine789 wrote:I can no longer access desktop. I beleive its happened since I installed and added the 'numlockx' application to my startup.
Were you using a special video driver or the default?
Please boot your live Mint DVD, open a terminal, enter the command:
inxi -Fxz
You can use Firefox on the live DVD to post the result here.

If you think the numlockx is causing the problem, in the live DVD environment, open the File Manager and go to /home/yourusername/.config/autostart on your hard drive, and delete the .desktop launcher for numlockx
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
wolverine789

Re: Cant access Desktop

Post by wolverine789 »

inxi -Fxz locks up screen and PC, but....

mint@mint ~ $ inxi -Gxz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] bus-ID: 00:0d.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV4C GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

In Driver Manager, changed to recommened nvidia-304 and applied, ran sudo nvidia-xconfig then rebooted from hard drive but still no desktop appearing.
This was the driver I had set up and which worked before. (see my one other only post). I'm thinking the numlockx app maybe isnt as big an issue right now.
Also, couldnt find autostart

Return to “MATE”