[SOLVED] Mate PANEL problem, it appears green and white

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bruc

[SOLVED] Mate PANEL problem, it appears green and white

Post by Bruc »

Good morning,
I'm new about Linux. I decided to use linux mint mate 17 on my netbook EeePc Asus.
For two days everything was perfect, now I have a problem with my panel... I touched some settings about it, just to modify the appearance, but nothing more...
When I start Linuz for two seconds everything is ok, after my panel becomes green and white and I cannot touch it properly, besides that all the item on the panel aren't visible, but only green and white alternate rectangulars.
I tried, with the terminal, mate-panel --reset.. It works for seconds and then my panel becomes again green and white.

Please help me, I love Linux
I don't want to reinstall windows

Thanks a lot and have a nice day

Marco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Mate PANEL problem, it appears green and white

Post by caribriz »

Hello Marco -

I'm having a guess here - does your panel look a bit like this?

If so, could try resetting the mintmenu - try this command in the terminal (you will lose any menu customisations you have made):

Code: Select all

mintmenu --reset
press enter
Bruc

Post by Bruc »

Thanks a lot :)
It seems now that it works.. Thanks thanks!!!

Could I ask you why it happens?
Just to know and avoid other mistakes
Annoyingduck

Post by Annoyingduck »

Bruc wrote:Thanks a lot :)

That happened because you changed the mint menu icon to something larger than 24ppi. You can change the icon to anything you want, but unlike other desktops, on MATE the mint menu applet must be no more than 24ppi. Other app launchers can use almost any normal icon size, except for the mint menu. It goes haywire with larger icons. Anyways, if you mess up, the command posted above will fix it.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I think when you went to change the Menu icon, you chose mint-logo.svg from the list that appeared.

Instead, choose mintMenu.png from the list. It's the same green and white Mint icon, but the right size for the panel.

It happened to me too :wink:
Bruc

Post by Bruc »

Annoyingduck wrote:
Bruc wrote:Thanks a lot :)

That happened because you changed the mint menu icon to something larger than 24ppi. You can change the icon to anything you want, but unlike other desktops, on MATE the mint menu applet must be no more than 24ppi. Other app launchers can use almost any normal icon size, except for the mint menu. It goes haywire with larger icons. Anyways, if you mess up, the command posted above will fix it.

Thanks a lot, everything is ok now
have a great day

Marco

Return to “MATE”