Unexpected Desktop Behavior[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Unexpected Desktop Behavior[SOLVED]

Post by all41 »

Using Qiana Mate V2 with all 1 thru 3 level updates

The key word here is non-maximized--meaning smaller than the desktop background, but not minimized.
Moving any such non-maximized window (Firefox, open documents, Terminal, any open window ) to the top edge of the desktop causes a transparent blue window covering my entire desktop.
Moving any such non-maximized window to the right or left edge of the desktop causes a transparent blue box to appear about half the desktop size.
Releasing the mouse button at those R&L edges makes the opened window resize to fill the transparent blue outline, and if I move it back to the center of the screen--the window resizes back to the same original size as before I moved it.

I think this is probably the result of some custom settings I have changed, but can't figure out which setting that might be.
I have not been able to screenshot this transparent blue desktop or box because it only appears when the left click button is held and that disables screenshot capture via keyboard.

I cannot duplicate this on my other Mint 17 Mate computers.

This change of size thing is actually somewhat useful when expected to occur. It is not causing any issues that I know of--but I would like to know what it's all about.
I feel I am overlooking something that will be most obvious to more experienced users.
Any ideas will be welcomed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
ofb

Re: Unexpected Desktop Behavior

Post by ofb »

Menu > Accessories > Take Screenshot

Mint has a great little dialog box for this, and one of the options is a 5 second delay, which is perfect for snapping open menus and other things that don't work with the PrnScn key.

No idea on the blue box. Does it happen with the live-session too? With the vid driver installed of course. This might indicate if it's graphics card related.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unexpected Desktop Behavior[SOLVED}

Post by all41 »

Hi ofb,
Thanks for the heads up on the screenshot timer. I had forgotten about this, and it was even right there in my face. .
As I was preparing screenshots I discovered my problem. . A few days ago I had unwittingly enabled side-by-side tiling in Windows Preferences/Placement. I did not immediately notice any behavior changes so I didn't change it back, and forgot to pursue the answer regarding this functionality----and even as I was thinking I had already molested, violated, and exploited the configuration in every possible manner. Crow pie is not to bad.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “MATE”