LM17 Mate No desktop icons on startup

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zeke99

LM17 Mate No desktop icons on startup

Post by Zeke99 »

On startup there's no icons on the desktop. When right-click on the desktop no meny appear. If I click on the Meny in the lower left corner and click for example on the HomeFolder nothing happens.
If I start a terminal and write caja absolutely nothing happens for about 30 seconds but then I get the following messsage:

(caja:2848): Unique-DBus-warning **: Error while sending message: Did not recieve a replay. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a replay, the bus security policy blocked the replay, the replay timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

After I recieve this error message in the terminal window my desktop icons appear on the desktop and the caja windows I tried to start from the startmenu earlier is popping up.

Anyone experienced the same?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michaelredhill
Level 1
Level 1

Solved Re: LM17 Mate No desktop icons on startup

Post by michaelredhill »

I had the problem. The items were present in the desktop folder but did not display on the desktop. Rebooting did not solve the problem.

From Control Panel, un-check Computer, Home, Rubbish Bin, Network, & Mounted volumes. Close Control Panel, & reboot.
Desktop now displays correctly.
From Control Panel, re-check Computer, Home, Rubbish Bin, Network, & Mounted volumes.
Zeke99

Re: LM17 Mate No desktop icons on startup

Post by Zeke99 »

After some more testing I discover that when I try to mount a network server in fstab through a vpn-tunnel my desktop icons dissapear and caja hangs.

//192.168.0.160/serveratwork home/username/serverHD cifs username=name,password=xxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

As soon as I put the line above in my fstab and restart my desktop icons dissapear. Works perfect in LM13, 14, 15 but not in 17.
Will do some more testing but if someone stumble upon the same I'm very interrested to hear how you solve the problem.
Zeke99

Post by Zeke99 »

Some more info.

It's a completely fresh install.

I'm able to mount a local nas in fstab without any problem:
//192.168.2.142/NasShare home/username/freenas cifs username=username,password=xxxxxx,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

but when trying to mount a server from a different ip-group in fstab it hangs caja.
//192.168.0.160/serveratwork home/username/serverHD cifs username=name,password=xxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

After 7-10 minutes of inactivity caja starts working and my icons is appearing on the desktop.
Obviously caja and samba isn't working well together at boot. Hmm, back to testing..
Zeke99

Post by Zeke99 »

Been a while ..
Tested more. Same error if you use LM17 Cinnamon-64, LM17 Mate-64, LM17 Mate-32, Xubuntu 64.
I suppose this means that this post isn't correctly placed since it not only hangs caja but also nemo and nautilus.

As soon as you put //192.168.0.150/serveratwork home/username/serverHD cifs username=name,password=xxxxxx,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0 in your fstab it hangs the filemanager 6-7 minutes after reboot.
Bring the computer to work so the connection don't have to go through the vpn-tunnel (dual smoothwall). It works perfect.
Take the computer home and caja hangs 6-7 minutes upon reboot.
Tested with a Dell optiplex 755 dualcore. Hangs the filemanager.
Get some more muscle, a Fujitsu Siemens Celsius 470 with 3GHz Intel Xeon quadcore and 12Gb memory. Also hangs the filemanager 6-7 minutes.
LM13, 14 and 15 works perfect but not LM17.

Obviously the problem isn't with caja but more likely with the latest kernel or the latest samba-version so I will see if I can find the right forum for this issue. If anyone have a clue whats causing this or a tips for the right forum please let me know.
Have a nice weekend folks..

Return to “MATE”