[SOLVED] Can't have multiple desktops with Compiz?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evencoil
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't have multiple desktops with Compiz?

Post by evencoil »

New installation of Mint 17.

I believe I have gotten Compiz to work, although it's been tough and filled with buggy interaction with the panel manager. But at least for the current boot it seems to be working correctly, except for the following:

I cannot increase the number of workspaces. I have added a "Workspace switcher" to the panel, and I can open it and change it from 1 to 4, but nothing changes and when I open it again its been set back to 1. If I revert from Compiz back to Marco then I can change the number of workspaces just fine.

Any idea what's going on here? It is undoubtedly related to Compiz, which seems to always been a pain to get working correctly.

Also, I am open to the idea of switching which panel manager I use if someone can suggest one that works well with Compiz and is easy to install in Mint 17.

I am also open to the idea of ditching Compiz--but then this would all be a non-issue :). I've sadly become dependent on wobbly windows ;)

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't have multiple desktops with Compiz?

Post by LinWinux »

This used to be a bug of sorts awhile back too. Just set your workspaces to 1 only. Then use the CCSM manager to set up the amount of workspaces that you want. CCSM overrides most visual desktop settings so if it doesn't work in "standard" mode, that usually means the same setting can (and should) be configured with CCSM instead. Worked for me at the time. Stopped using Compiz though because even though it's one of the coolest things in the world, it does decrease system performance ... even on a newer, really fast, and ram loaded machine like mine. :roll:
Hope this helps. Mark as solved if it does ...

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
evencoil
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't have multiple desktops with Compiz?

Post by evencoil »

Thanks. I didn't realize that Compiz had a setting for that. (For others' reference: it's in CCSM --> General Options-->Desktop Size.)
bigal
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [SOLVED] Can't have multiple desktops with Compiz?

Post by bigal »

Is there a setting for it in LM17 Cinnamon?
Lots of Minty machines but there again I like lamb and I do live in Wales!
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Well, the question here had to do with Compiz on the Mate desktop, and not Cinnamon. I don't like Cinnamon but if my understanding is correct, Cinnamon is supposed to be a bit like a mix of Gnome Shell (Gnome3), Unity, and Linux Mint's own design. Your question should probably be asked in the main setup forum for Mint since this is the Mate sub-forum. Mate is completely different from Cinnamon. Mate is a complete and separate desktop manager ...
Cinnamon is also a complete and separate desktop manager ...
As are Unity, Gnome3, XFCE, and so on ... :wink:

*ONE* desktop manager for Windows ...
*MULTIPLE* often highly configurable awesome desktops for Linux ... 8)

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
bigal
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bigal »

Sorry LinWinux, I apologise. I should have known better than to hijack someone else's post. I'll go away and shut up.
Lots of Minty machines but there again I like lamb and I do live in Wales!

Return to “MATE”