How to get from Cinnamon to MATE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WrightHouse

How to get from Cinnamon to MATE?

Post by WrightHouse »

I would like the same on all my systems since there is a noticeable difference. I have a 13 year old Dell E1705 laptop that updated nicely from Cinnamon 16 to 17. BUT 6 year old Toshiba Satellite A205 would only update from Olivia MATE 15 to 17 after 2 days of trying to fix the errors I was getting regarding video drivers (xorg/nvidia). I tried to put the MATE 17 on the Cinnamon 16, but it kept ignoring the boot to disk. I like MATE best for my uses. Any suggestions? Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to get from Cinnamon to MATE?

Post by MrBob22 »

Padawon learner, much information needed to help you we can. See posting guidelines...type of system, hardware specifics, etc...
Anyway, can you boot the Cinnamon system? If so, log out, and click on the little wheel icon to click on your log-in options. Maybe you already have the option to boot into Mate. (I just did this when my update to Mint 17 had an error and then launched into Cinnamon (which I did not want). I was reminded by not one but two moderators about the log in screen options... BTW, did you read the minimum requirements for Mint? Sounds like older hardware that may be pushing the boundaries. Good luck, MrBob22
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to get from Cinnamon to MATE?

Post by LinWinux »

OMG, a 13 year old and a 6 year old computer ... in this day and age of $50 to $75 computers on e*ay which may only be 3 or 4 years old ... ??? I believe that must be a record age (13 years) that I've ever heard of anyone running a *buntu version of Linux. I couldn't even imagine actually getting any real (fast & efficient) work done with something that old. Lacking graphics, almost impossible to find printer drivers, lack of ram, cpu power, just to name the most immediate obvious. I'd rather spend the $50 or so instead of taking hours or worse, even days of time out fiddling ...
My hat's off to you though, for your diligence & patience. :o
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. It was just so shocking (to me).

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.

Return to “MATE”