MintMenu random freezing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minterator

MintMenu random freezing

Post by Minterator »

I have mintMenu 5.5.3.1 through backports.

It seems to randomly freeze as soon as you open it, as if it has focus and maintains it no matter where you click. Ctrl+Alt+Del frees it up.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: MintMenu random freezing

Post by nomko »

Backport packages are packages which are tested, but contains a high risk of not interacting properly with (older) software (or packages). Also backport packages have a huge influence on the system stability by changing the behaviour of some packages that aren't familiar to those packages. Random freezes, unexpected program endings, stability issues, etc. can be an indication that the backport package did altered some packages negatively. The usage of backport packages is is strongly discouraged for these reasons. Some users do turn on backport package for experimental purposes.

If you prefer a stable and secure system, please turn off the usage of backport package and downgrade the (upgraded) backport packages. In most cases, and hopefully yours as well, this will fix the arisen problems.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Minterator wrote:I have mintMenu 5.5.3.1 through backports.

It seems to randomly freeze as soon as you open it, as if it has focus and maintains it no matter where you click. Ctrl+Alt+Del frees it up.
It's strange that you reported it only now - this version has been around for two months...

Anyway, this focus issue is caused by a small change that has been made for fixing the flickering during mouse scrolling in certain situations. More info can be found here. See, we fixed one thing but broke another one. :lol:
This change has been reverted in Mint 17, but we didn't revert it in Mint 13 backports. I've filed a new pull request to fix that.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Monsta wrote:
Minterator wrote:I have mintMenu 5.5.3.1 through backports.

It's strange that you reported it only now - this version has been around for two months...

Anyway, this focus issue is caused by a small change that has been made for fixing the flickering during mouse scrolling in certain situations. More info can be found here. See, we fixed one thing but broke another one. :lol:
This change has been reverted in Mint 17, but we didn't revert it in Mint 13 backports. I've filed a new pull request to fix that.
Thank you. I fix some things myself, but I don't always have the time or inclination. I've got LM13 working on Intel z77 with kernel 3.10.42 and minimal tweaks. I'm gonna bump another thread in the MATE section, possible bug in LM17.

Return to “MATE”