[SOLVED] display goes to sleep in 10 minutes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snoopsean

[SOLVED] display goes to sleep in 10 minutes

Post by snoopsean »

Even with the correct settings, the display goes to sleep after 10 minutes when i watch a movie with vlc or totem

I have factory reset my monitor
I have unchecked "activate screensaver when computer is idle"
I have gone into power management and selected "put computer to sleep when inactive for" and made it "never"
I have gone into power management and selected "put display to sleep when inactive for" and made it "never"
I have rebooted.
I have checked "disable screensaver" in vlc options (it was set by default)
I have checked "disable screensaver" in totem (it was set by default)

here is the relavent info from inxi -Fxz
System: Host: linuxbox Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: s5-1014
Mobo: FOXCONN model: 2A8C version: 1.1 Bios: American Megatrends version: 6.10 date: 12/28/2011
CPU: Dual core Pentium CPU E5800 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 12799.8
Clock Speeds: 1: 3199.962 MHz 2: 3199.962 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G41 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

The monitor is a dell se198wfp

I was able to prevent this in linux mint mate 13 by setting "put display to sleep when inactive for" to "never"

Update:
i continued and tried the following:
set default session to "mate" in login window (it was Xclient script) (didnt help)
disabled power manager as a startup application (didnt help)
went to bios and made the primary video port be INTEGRATED instead of PCI (didnt help)
set the screensaver to 2 hours like darcy recommeneded (didnt help)
made both settings in "power management" to 1 hour (didnt help still turned off display after 10 min)

i then checked something called xset which has some settings in there. i ran xset -q

Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

i then tried xset -dpms to disable DPMS (it changed to DPMS is disabled, but didnt solve problem)
i then ran xset s 0 0 to set the screensaver to never start (that seems to work)
unfortunately you have to do it everytime you restart.

Solution:
Turns out it was all me. I had gone into startup applications and disabled the screensaver app (saving 5 or 10 megs of ram). Unfortunately when you do that, the xset screensaver settings take affect.

So really, you need to make sure the screensaver app is enabled in startup applications. If you dont want the screensaver app (for whatever reason), you need to turn off the screensaver xset settings with the following command:
xset s 0 0
You have to do this every time you log in, so you can add it as a line in your ~/.profile file if you want it to work every login.

Again, easy way to fix this is just make sure the startup application "screensaver" is turned on. You will see the process "mate-screensaver" in your list of processes when you select "System Monitor"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Darcy

Re: display goes to sleep in 10 minutes

Post by Darcy »

This is a common problem (bug) and the best solution I have found is don't make both settings in Power Management "Never".
Also set screensaver to 2 hours.

It is a strange problem.
DarinB

Re: [SOLVED] display goes to sleep in 10 minutes

Post by DarinB »

I have the same problem
what should I set the powermanagement to? of not both never?

This is a common problem (bug) and the best solution I have found is don't make both settings in Power Management "Never".
Also set screensaver to 2 hours.
Darcy

Re: [SOLVED] display goes to sleep in 10 minutes

Post by Darcy »

Sorry, I should clarify. If you have this problem making both settings "Never" will not solve the problem. The best you can do is make it 1 hour.

I am having difficulty in finding the original fix to this problem that I found about 2 years ago. All I can remember is that involved a little bit of coding.

Sorry for any confusion, I am still looking for a solution, or least what causes the problem.

Return to “MATE”