[SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 panel slow with location shortcuts

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sourcefinder

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 panel slow with location shortcuts

Post by sourcefinder »

When I make a location shortcut on the panel in Linux Mint 17 MATE 64 bit, for example to the documents folder, this shortcut reacts very slow (about 4 seconds necessary to open the documents folder). I have an 128 Gb SSD (system disk) and a normal HDD as data disk. It doesn't matter to what disk I make the shortcut; it remains slow.

When I move this location shortcut to te desktop, the shortcut reacts normal (fast), but of course shortcuts on the panel are easier to use...

In Linux Mint 13 MATE 64 bit the location shortcuts on the panel are reacting normal (fast).

My system is an i7 4770 with 8 Gb RAM and, as said, an SSD as system disk and an HDD (2 TB) as data disk.

Does anyone has the same experience? Can it be fixed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sourcefinder

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 panel slow with location shortcut

Post by sourcefinder »

At the moment I added this post, i came to an idea, that solved the problem:

By dragging the 'home folder' shortcut from the desktop to the panel, this shortcus reacts fast. I looked at the properties, I discovered that the home folder shortcus was note made as a location shortcus, but as an application shortcut, using caja.

So I added a new application shortcut on the panel, using caja /home/xxxx/documents as command. This works!

So I think I can conclude that there is a bug with the application shortcuts on the panel (where I used file:///home/xxxx/documents as command).
Pogo1

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 panel slow with location shortcut

Post by Pogo1 »

sourcefinder wrote:At the moment I added this post, i came to an idea, that solved the problem:

By dragging the 'home folder' shortcut from the desktop to the panel, this shortcus reacts fast. I looked at the properties, I discovered that the home folder shortcus was note made as a location shortcus, but as an application shortcut, using caja.

So I added a new application shortcut on the panel, using caja /home/xxxx/documents as command. This works!

So I think I can conclude that there is a bug with the application shortcuts on the panel (where I used file:///home/xxxx/documents as command).
There was recently a thread where somene found that caja was slow to start because the file that started it called startcaja had a three second delay as its first line. apparently commenting out that delay made caja start instantly.

See here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=151635

Pogo.

Return to “MATE”