17 install and screensaver note

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robertmf

17 install and screensaver note

Post by robertmf »

MINT/MATE 17 i386/32
Since I don't like Unity, I switched over my main desktop from Ubuntu to MINT/MATE. :D Install went fine. No issues with panels or theme rendering as mentioned in previous threads.

UBUNTU-TWEAK

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
SCREENSAVER
Removed mate-screensaver and installed xscreensaver, which has a [Preferences -> Disable] option
If you don't get satisfaction, also install caffeine, which sends a keystroke to xscreensaver every 1min. or so.

WIFI
Thinking of dropping Ubuntu, some months ago I installed MINT/MATE 14 on my other box to play with. This also works "the way I like from Ubuntu of yore". It doesn't have built-in wifi. I find the PANDA usb adapter works => Chromcast dongle on TV.

WEBCAM
cheese works. ((I never did get it to work with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)
[/color]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pogo1

Re: 17 install and screensaver note

Post by Pogo1 »

robertmf wrote:MINT/MATE 17 i386/32
SCREENSAVER
Removed mate-screensaver and installed xscreensaver, which has a [Preferences -> Disable] option
If you don't get satisfaction, also install caffeine, which sends a keystroke to xscreensaver every 1min. or so.

Could you give a step-by-step on this for me Robert. I really like the antspotlight screensaver, but can't see how to get it in the standard LM17 MATE screensaver dialog and I have no idea how to remove the standard ones and install xscreensaver.

Pogo.

Update: That went rather well. I was poking around the Software Manager and found the xscreensaver suite, and installed them. They didn't run. I went back and found the MATE screensaver suite and uninstalled them, and then xscreensaver came up.

This is getting to be a useful system. :D

Return to “MATE”