Chrome collapses but desktop does not refreash

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigslippery

Chrome collapses but desktop does not refreash

Post by bigslippery »

Mint 17 x86_64 , Nvidia drivers, dual monitor, separate X screens. If I expand Chrome to full desktop using "+" then collapse using "-" it collapses but the desktop does not refresh leaving the Chrome window behind. All other apps I've tried work fine. I've tried nvidia 331 & 337 and chrome stable, beta, and unstable with no change.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
harrisonheli

Re: Chrome collapses but desktop does not refreash

Post by harrisonheli »

I have the same problem but also some other issues with Mint 17 mate

Here is my post

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=169770
jpeart

Post by jpeart »

I see the same problem. Mint 17 x86_64 and I have tried all of the available Nvidia drivers listed in the Mint drivers tool. So far it seems to be just Chrome that exhibits this behavior. The workaround I am using is to enable compositing from the Desktop Settings tool. Look under the Windows section for the compositing checkbox.

I don't really like this option because it has adverse side effects. If I want to play the latest X-Com game in Steam I have to disable compositing or it won't launch. Also when I watch videos in MythTV there is a strange horizontal line that moves down the image. I don't really need/want compositing but I use Chrome a lot and I can't stand it when I try to minimize the window and it appears to still be there when it really is not. So for now I'm living with turning compositing on/off depending on what I need to do.
jpeart

Post by jpeart »

After some more googling I found a solution. Under the advanced settings in Chrome there is an option to disable hardware acceleration. I unchecked this box and restarted the browser. I disabled compositing in Desktop Settings and minimized Chrome. It works as expected!

I got the idea from another thread on these forums. The thread is http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=169316

Hope this helps others with the same issue.
jpeart

Post by jpeart »

Here is an even better solution that does not require you to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome. Nvidia driver 331.89 fixes this minimize issue. I was able to install the latest Nvidia 331 driver with these steps.

1 - sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
2 - sudo apt-get update
3 - sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Return to “MATE”