double-click ceases to work when using incessantly

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

double-click ceases to work when using incessantly

Post by linx255 »

Hi,

I'm using Mint 16 Mate 64-bit and am experiencing a frustrating productivity impediment. Have you tried opening caja and then, double-click your way through a series of folders in your file system? Double-clicking on the first folder of course opens it, no problem. But then if you immediately double-click again on the next folder, it does nothing unless you wait another second.

I have tried changing the double-click mouse settings to no avail. I just have to wait a second for every folder I enter.

I navigate my filesystem a lot, and not only does this take longer to go where I need to go (every second counts due to the work I do), but I have to just about hold my breath to not click too fast but also not too slow. Sometimes the folder opens, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't you can't just keep clicking because it will never open-- you actually have to stop clicking and wait a second, and then double-click. It takes too much effort and physical strain to navigate files with this delay. :(

I'd appreciate any solutions! Thanks.

UPDATE: I hypothesize this to be traced to the code that controls mouse input; I've found this behavior when double-clicking in other contexts.
UPDATE: It is not just caja, it's anywhere, any program, any context.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
semeano

Re: double-click to open folder stops working in caja

Post by semeano »

Hi!

I have Linux Mint 15 (Olivia), MATE Desktop, with Caja 1.6.1 and I have the same issue since the begining.
I kinda got used to it and open the folder using the Enter key everytime that situation occurs. But if you find any solution please let me know.

Thanks!
semeano

Post by semeano »

By the way... I've been trying for the last hour to change the default file manager of MATE without success...
I've tried everything I've found here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=112854&f=90
... and nothing.

I'm trying to replace Caja for Thunar as the default file manager, but Caja always gets the best.

If I try to remove Caja it will ask me to remove "mate-core", "mate-desktop-environment", "mate-screensaver", "mate-session-manager" and "mint-meta-mate"... which didn't sound any good.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You might try a different mouse to see if you get the same behavior.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
semeano

Post by semeano »

Yes, it has the same behaviour.

By the way, I can't replicate this behaviour on Nautilus or Thunar. It's a "feature" of Caja only.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

It's not the mouse because it doesn't do this in Windows, though I have tried other mice in case of a Linux-specific problem with no improvement. At any rate I'd hate to have to give up my amazing, top-of-the-line performance laser Logitech M500! You don't even need a mouse pad with this thing! :)

I have finally noticed it does the same thing when I try to double-click to select text in a terminal or openoffice. This tells me there is something in the OS responsible for the way it handles clicks. It's as if Linux is dropping the clicks or not listening for them or there is an intentional / accidental delay built-in. Something along these lines, right?
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
omegadany

Re: double-click ceases to work when using incessantly

Post by omegadany »

Very frustrating indeed. Any solution ? Please!

I have found a workaround: it seems that if I set a very very short double-click timeout in Mouse Preferences then I can navigate without that annoying time restriction.

Return to “MATE”