single "x-caja-desktop" window appears at login

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fraxinus_63

single "x-caja-desktop" window appears at login

Post by fraxinus_63 »

NB - I am starting a new thread for this issue as I am not sure whether or not it is the same as other recent posts which complain of multiple instances of x-caja-desktop on login. In my case, there is only ever one x-caja-desktop window, rather than several of them cascaded.

When we login to one of our Mint PCs, we sometimes find that, instead of the normal desktop display, we see the window "x-caja-desktop" showing desktop contents. This only happens sometimes, at random. I am very keen to fix it, however, as it is on a computer with more than one user and people are finding it annoying and confusing.

Can anyone offer advice? We are running Mint 13 MATE, 32-bit, fully updated with backports enabled.

Thanks in anticipation!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: single "x-caja-desktop" window appears at login

Post by gtsfer »

I have seen the issue where Caja opens multiple windows on startup myself. But only once or twice. So I'm not sure if this works yet. But I did it and am waiting to see if it prevents this thing again. It's VERY rare for me to see it. You may have seen this in another post, probably where I got it from. Terminal commands:

cd .config/caja
> desktop-metadata
sudo chattr +i desktop-metadata
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Thanks gtsfer. I had seen this fix before on other threads and I will try it. The only reason I started my own thread here is that my problem seems subtly different from the more commonly reported one (multiple unwanted windows on login ...).

One thing I learn from this is remembering how glitches like this can seem to 'non-enthusiasts', who can find them annoying or even frightening. If this happens to me, I curse inwardly, close the unwanted window and carry on working. Other family members, however, are antagonised by it and may ask me to get rid of MATE if this continues - even though it does a very good job for us in all other respects.
Windowsfree2013

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

I am glad you posted this thread, as I too am seeing a single window at random times. I am running LM13 (64bit). I will attempt this fix later and report results.

fraxinus_63 wrote:Thanks gtsfer. I had seen this fix before on other threads and I will try it. The only reason I started my own thread here is that my problem seems subtly different from the more commonly reported one (multiple unwanted windows on login ...).

One thing I learn from this is remembering how glitches like this can seem to 'non-enthusiasts', who can find them annoying or even frightening. If this happens to me, I curse inwardly, close the unwanted window and carry on working. Other family members, however, are antagonised by it and may ask me to get rid of MATE if this continues - even though it does a very good job for us in all other respects.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Windowsfree2013 wrote: One thing I learn from this is remembering how glitches like this can seem to 'non-enthusiasts', who can find them annoying or even frightening. If this happens to me, I curse inwardly, close the unwanted window and carry on working. Other family members, however, are antagonised by it and may ask me to get rid of MATE if this continues - even though it does a very good job for us in all other respects.
I definitely get that. But after a while I look at the flip side too. That OTHER awful operating system (not to be named in my post anyway :lol:) is terrible at doing updates. It takes forever and you still have a virus-prone, slow a$$ system. It gets worse with every update as that registry file is packed with leftover junk.

Just the other day I wanted to crush my stepfather's W7 machine. I had to install a ZIP utility for him. The first one I employed installed an AVG toolbar (after I checked the "no dammit" box too), then hijacked his homepage and his search engine. Fixing it was easy of course. But is this kind of sloppy software necessary? :( Not for me anymore. It takes some time and commitment, yes. Keep at it, we'll find a resolution to this one too.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Oh hey, see this too. There's an update for Caja that might just fix this, the post by Monsta on the 19th March. Just run Update Manager, even if it doesn't say to. Mine didn't yet, I'm set to check for updates every 5 days. I wonder if that's a good or bad interval?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=161628
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

@gtsfer

I tried this a few days ago:

Code: Select all

cd .config/caja
> desktop-metadata
sudo chattr +i desktop-metadata
Result - kernel panic! However, the problem has not recurred at all in recent days, since this experience, during which time the computer has been used a great deal. So I'll see how things work out, and post back if anything happens that might be of interest to others with this problem.

Thanks for advice re. available updates for Caja. Those that you mention are for LMDE - I'm using Mint 13 main edition and I can't find any Caja updates pending for that. However, I'll keep an eye open!
Windowsfree2013

Post by Windowsfree2013 »

since update, i have not had the issue.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Neither have I since the Caja updates.
danindenver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danindenver »

I'm running Mint 13 w/ 32-bit Mate and I'm seeing this.

It happened a few times, randomly, several months ago, but now it happens every day. :cry:

I've tried other fixes that I've found, such as running "sudo /usr/sbin/mdmsetup"
I have tried every single combination of configurations to change the "Login Window Preferences (as superuser)" and have come to the conclusion that this does absolutely nothing.
There must be some other place to edit this and I can't find it, yet.

Has anyone found a lasting solution?

I'm very frustrated. I am fully updated.
BTW, I did allow some backports, for a while, and was not happy with some of them. I won't do that again. And I don't doubt that this is what let the bad bugs in.

I know the best thing would be to upgrade to 17LTS, but I wanted to wait until I had a new computer for that.
(And I don't want to lose my START key functionality, again.)

Return to “MATE”