Make MATE use Nemo instead of Caja?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skyzo

Make MATE use Nemo instead of Caja?

Post by skyzo »

I can open nemo just fine in MATE but when I click Computer or any Drive Caja opens and I would like to change the default file browser to Nemo. Is this possible? If so, how?

I just installed Linux Mint coming from Ubuntu and I really like it, Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Make MATE use Nemo instead of Caja?

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Under preferred applications in the systems tab there is a place to change the file manager though I never used it.

http://hacklog.in/setting-caja-as-default-file-manager/
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
skyzo

Post by skyzo »

Yes I saw that but it doesn't seem to do much, I already got it to something called "Files" which shows Nemo's icon but still Caja is the default file browser. I'm not sure what this option really does because I can choose Audacious as my file manager and that changes nothing in the system.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Being that Nemo (cinnamon) is based upon Gnome 3 and Mate is based Gnome 2 they could some incompatibility issues. I once read an old thread on this fourm of a hack using donf editor to change default file managers but I wouldn't recomend it as Caja draws desktop and removing it can cause some major instabilities on your system.

Hamza21.com
SorinN

Post by SorinN »

It is possible to change Caja for Nemo - and this combo is running well

they only problem is to make them(project managers) understand we need this coop Mate-Nemo

I use right now the nemo with unity patches because can draw the desktop
my session is mate with > nemo as desktop drawer and filemanager + awn as dock / panel + compiz as windowmanager (+emerald)

seem strange but is working very well and stable ...this way I got almost 100 points from 100
caja is good but utdated as functionality for example Move-To can only move to trash or desktop - it is important for companies or individuals to send to > folder of choice OR favorite folders OR mail app etc
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

SorinN wrote:
caja is good but utdated as functionality for example Move-To can only move to trash or desktop - it is important for companies or individuals to send to > folder of choice OR favorite folders OR mail app etc
Use tabs! When I firsted using Linux I had a habit of using right click>send to but after discovering tabs I just drag and drop files to move them.

Hamza21.com
BenWiley4000

Post by BenWiley4000 »

UPDATE: This worked well for me in UbuntuMATE when I was just installing Nemo from the standard repositories. However, when I realized I wanted to have Nemo plugins I purged my existing installation and reinstalled Nemo and plugins from the webupd8team repo. Now, enabling desktop icon drawing for Nemo gets rid of the MATE desktop background and replaces it with a solid blue one. That's not what I want, so I've gone back to having Caja handle the desktop instead of Nemo (if you've already blue'd your background you need to restart).

Original post:

Even after setting the default for xdg-open to Nemo instead of Caja I was concerned that Caja was continuing to draw the Desktop. Despite some concerns raised earlier in the thread, it's fully possible to switch from Caja to Nemo in MATE, just not well-documented-- after doing some digging around I found the solution. You can run the following two commands in the terminal:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.mate.background show-desktop-icons false
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true
Sources:
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1631 (part 1)
http://www.fandigital.com/2013/01/set-n ... buntu.html (part 2)

I also figured out how to get this on my own. If you're not sure how to find the setting you're looking for but you can guess a word that might be in it you can use gsettings and grep to find matching dconf schemas. For example:

gsettings list-schemas | grep background
or

gsettings list-schemas | grep mate
Once you know the schema, you can look for keys to modify, like so:

gsettings list-keys org.mate.background
I know this is an old thread but I'm posting this for the benefit of anyone who could be googling.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

Ok so here it is how to fully ditch Caja in favor of Nemo in Mate Mint 18 as of Sept 2017.

Remarks:
Caja is great but on my current hardware setup very slow comparing to Nemo. (freking nVidia)
I am writing it here for my own future reference, which is probably crazy considering downtimes on this site.
Strangely Mint has under his belt such a great developers, but when it comes to maintaining website sucks so much.
But maybe they are just two bunches of different ppl, blah blah nvm °)

So here we go:
Install Nemo from Web Update Repo.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/nemo/ubuntu xenial main

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/nemo
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nemo

Add yourself an add on for compression.

sudo apt-get install nemo-fileroller

Update your xdg.

xdg-mime default nemo-folder-handler.desktop inode/directory application/x-mate-saved-search application/x-gnome-saved-search

Go to Preferred Apps and change it there too.

Nemo is using Gnome not Mate terminal, don't bother they are same thing with different name, using same settings, so.

sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal

If you wanna set yourself default terminal, do, it wont affect Mate Menus.

Your Advanced Mint Menu is using Places.
Look thru file-system for places.py.

On mine they are currently at:

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins

so do:

sudo xed /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py

I assume you have xed, but nano will do, or anything.

You could at this stage replace all words "caja" with "nemo" but be careful, this is few lines better go manually.

Look for classes:
def do_standard_places
def do_custom_places

You will have commands definitions like ex:
command = ( "caja \"" + path + "\"")

Change "caja" to "nemo".

6. Re-log
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

Considering those "else if's" in scripts you could actually purge Caja, install something else and set your xdg, and this would work probably too. Maybe Caja share some its own libs with something else maybe not, but most likely not.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I used to replace file managers in various Linux DEs but not any more. While Linux isn't nearly as integrated as WIndows, it is somewhat integrated. And the file manager is highly integrated. Other fms never seem to work as nicely.

Actually if you really, really DO want to replace the Mate one I'd suggest pcmanfm ... it's actually quite powerful and fast (it's the LXDE fm) and loads minimal dependencies. Which, as noted, could be a problem with Nemo.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

Its exception for me too, I run Mate as it comes usually, but this time I had to.
Waiting time and cpu utilization was unbearable, its not as kinky as Caja but looks good too.
Selection_738.jpg
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

Thats way I say this is probably probably only way, but script clearly say.
Well actually it says something strange °°)

if self.de == "mate":
                command = ( "nemo \"" + path + "\"")
            else:
                command = ( "xdg-open \"" + path + "\"")

Return to “MATE”