[Solved] How to Change Multiple Workspaces to Just One

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] How to Change Multiple Workspaces to Just One

Post by White Phoenix »

I really do not like things put on my system when there is no apparent instructions/settings/options. I keep accidentally hitting a menu option on the toolbar when I click a window icon and suddenly the project I am working on disappears. I just now found the one I am currently working in a separate "workspace". I no clue how to get it back to the original workspace. This is a very large project and I don't want unwelcome interruptions like this.

There doesn't seem to be any instructions or help on this. I cannot find any settings even in the Control Center. Properties for the Desktop has no options for workspaces.

How do I get just ONE "workspace"? I do not need this. I don't even understand why it is suppose to be useful and I really don't want a discussion on why it is. Just how to find where the options/properties is so I can set it to only one workspace.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.3 / Cinnamon
Toshiba Satellite L655d-S5151 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM)
Dell Optiplex 3010 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM, dual boot with Windows 7 Pro w/XP Mode
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to Change Multiple Workspaces to Just One

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

just right click on the workspace on the panel and choose preferences,there you can set it to one or you can right click the workspace on the panel and choose "remove from panel".
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

If it' s that icon next to the Menu. The option "Remove from Panel" is grayed out. I've clicked on everything on my desktop. The only other thing that has Remove from Panel is the menu. Nothing is showing an option to set the number of workspaces under Preferences.

Aha! I think I know why I can't find what everyone keeps having me look for. I am not using the default MATE menu, but Menu Linux Mint which is installed by default to replace the MATE Menu.
Dell Optiplex 3010 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4GB RAM, dual boot with Windows 7 Pro w/XP Mode
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

You're confusing the hide all windows button with the workspace selector. This is the workspace selector.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2gxjl87.png

If you don't have it on your panel you can add it by right clicking the panel, choose add to panel then use the instructions I provided before.

Hamza21.com
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix »

I wasn't confusing anything. I clicked on everything I could click on to see if it was the right thing.

Thanks for at least getting me close. It's Workspace Switcher. There is another thing called Windows Selector, but I guessed you meant Workplace Switcher. Why would Linux be set to automatically use workspaces and not have the Workspace Switcher active? Was there a presumption that everyone would like this and not want to change it?

Since it was pre-installed I figured it was part of MATE and should have some sort of control options already accessible. I never used Linux before so I wouldn't know automatically that I had to install a separate applet. Apparently no one else did either, since they kept giving me instructions assuming the applet was installed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

White Phoenix wrote:
Thanks for at least getting me close. It's Workspace Switcher. There is another thing called Windows Selector, but I guessed you meant Workplace Switcher. Why would Linux be set to automatically use workspaces and not have the Workspace Switcher active? Was there a presumption that everyone would like this and not want to change it?

Since it was pre-installed I figured it was part of MATE and should have some sort of control options already accessible. I never used Linux before so I wouldn't know automatically that I had to install a separate applet. Apparently no one else did either, since they kept giving me instructions assuming the applet was installed.

Most Linux distros have at least 2 workspaces by default,it's pretty standard in Linux. Moreover, a workspace switcher should have on your panel by default as well. I'm not sure why it was not on your system.

Hamza21.com
lud

Re: [Solved] How to Change Multiple Workspaces to Just One

Post by lud »

Thank you for this post. was very helpful.

Return to “MATE”