Caja starting slow

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Caja starting slow

Post by Arp »

Hi,

I just installed Mint 16 with Mate 64Bit, and I noticed, that when I go to Places -> Home Folder, or which ever is there, it takes a couple of seconds to open it. After that I can go into any folder / device almost instantly, but the start of caja is rather slow.
It seemed to be faster in Mint 15.
Anybody else noticed this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Caja starting slow

Post by georgegerm »

Arp wrote:Hi,

I just installed Mint 16 with Mate 64Bit, and I noticed, that when I go to Places -> Home Folder, or which ever is there, it takes a couple of seconds to open it. After that I can go into any folder / device almost instantly, but the start of caja is rather slow.
It seemed to be faster in Mint 15.
Anybody else noticed this?
i use mate 15 and notice caja is also slow. it seems from my perspective slower than previous versions. some amy not agree but it is my perspective.
viva el minto REVOLUTION!!!!!
james.ryan

Post by james.ryan »

Hi,

i have the same problem here. I upgraded from LM15 to 16 via apt. Caja starts instantly, when I open a drive from the desktop and takes ages when using the Places menu. I did not notice this behavior using LM15.

Maybe someone has an idea, how to fix this. But it's only a flaw in the perfect linux distro.

Thanks
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

i think i will wait till i am free and install mate 16. from dvd. fresh install. no video on skype, cheese,yet camera works on a windows partition...
besides i know i have a trojan 100 percent now, that is as of yesterday. call bundespolizei trojan. with linux if once you are infect in firefox is as i see if game over.
it changes very rapid, the popularity of linux has grown. extra with good distros as mint. consideration must be slowly made to better alternatives than clam or avast.
caja was dead in the water before this however.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

--called--
Aphotica

Post by Aphotica »

The same happens to me.

If I run "caja" from a terminal, it opens instantly. If I call it up from the applications menu, it works instantly. The problem is somewhere in the Places menu. I'm going to mess with dconf-editor and see if I can fix this.

I'll keep updating.
georgegerm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgegerm »

thats good. also while you are it in mate consider no video on cheese, or skype. the trojan issue maybe a look at thing also. i am not being sarcastic. i do miss the older mints.
Honest Mistake

Post by Honest Mistake »

It looks like I have the same problem. Caja opens very slowly when started from MATE menu bar or panel shortcut (with about 4 seconds delay). When started from terminal, desktop, another caja window or even mint menu it starts instantly. And once started it works normaly. Strange.
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arp »

georgegerm wrote: the trojan issue maybe a look at thing also
What trojan issue? Please clarify.
yp2

Post by yp2 »

Hi,

I have solution for caja slow start. I dig in config files especially

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
in entry that's refer to inode/directory stands caja.desktop.
I look in to caja.desktop in

/usr/share/applications/caja.desktop
On the bottom of this file I found this line:

Exec=/usr/bin/startcaja
startcaja does nothing only takes time. So I change in ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list entry that's refer to inode/director to caja-browser.desktop . Now caja starts normally from places menu.
Desktop file for caja-browser start caja like this:

caja --no-desktop --browser %U
I think that was the problem :)
Check it :)
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arp »

Hi yp2,

That does not really help... for example, in my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list file, there are just a couple of lines regarding file associations for VLC... nothing about caja.desktop.

But I do have

Exec=/usr/bin/startcaja
in /usr/share/applications/caja.desktop.

What exactly did you change? Did you change this line to

caja --no-desktop --browser %U
?
james.ryan

Post by james.ryan »

Hi,

I looked at this file: /usr/bin/startcaja. It says

sleep 3
caja -n "$@"
and I changed it to

#sleep 3
caja -n "$@"

Then caja starts instantly. Does anyone know why this line was added before the caja startup command? Is this delay necessary for some mounts etc? I did not notice a different behavior with the delay command commented out.

Merry Xmas!
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arp »

Thanks,

Works like a charm and is very simple! :)
yp2

Post by yp2 »

In my mimeapps.list

cat ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list | grep inode
after change entry for inode/directory look like this

inode/directory=caja-browser.desktop
inode/directory=caja-browser.desktop
This change takes care of slow caja start.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

georgegerm wrote:... i know i have a trojan 100 percent now, that is as of yesterday. call bundespolizei trojan...
I also want to know how you know this. I searched the ubuntu forums for 'bundespolizei'. Nothing. Same on fedora or arch forums. Those are the most comprehensive linux support forums by far. Yes, more so than mint forums.

The only web search hit I got pertaining to linux was on one blog. Those are often written by incompetents who think they know what they're talking about, if they're not just shills.

So I definitely want to hear how you "100 percent" know this.

Re. caja starting slow ... I use dolphin for my file browser in mate, and it takes even longer to start. But once it does it's still faster. More power.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
twistedturtle

Post by twistedturtle »

I looked at this file: /usr/bin/startcaja. It says

sleep 3
caja -n "$@"
Thanks. :) IMHO this is the better solution, it actually fixes the issue instead of creating a workaround which may change the behaviour of caja.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the other one, just looked up what the new command did in caja manpage. For anyone who wants to know --no-desktop means it doesn't manage the desktop. --browser is meant to open a browser window, just seems to open up caja. %U is an application parameter which treats any arguments to the caja command as a list of urls to open (works on others too ie. firefox).

Doubt if any of that makes much difference but, assuming there's no ill effect and so far there hasn't been, I'd rather just comment out the line causing the lag. :)
Mematis

Post by Mematis »

Thank you for this topic. The line "sleep 3" explains it all. No matter how fast or slow a computer I tested this on, the response time from starting caja from the Mate menu was always between 3 and 4 seconds, so I figured there had to be a deliberate delay.

Thanks again.
APSy

Post by APSy »

Hi there,

I dont know if it helps someone, but my issue with LM 14 was that i had many files in my Templates folder which is in your home dir by default. The purpose is that you can create new files with right-klick and than you can browse the files you put into the Template folder. I have put into my folder a small CMS because it was a "Template" for me which i needed all the time, at the end i got about 10k files in int and whole Caja was really slow. I didnt know that the reason were the Template folder but one night i just moved them, dont know why and recognized that Caja got up to his normal speed, so i now just have about 10 files as Templates.

Hope this will help someone who got the same problem like me

cheers APSy
philhippos

Post by philhippos »

I have found the same issue in '/usr/bin/startcaja'.
Delete this line and caja starts normally again:

sleep 3
I don't see any reason, why one would like to have this sleep-command, other than only for debugging purposes, so I like to change this, because it annoyes everyone.
I could find only https://github.com/tuquito/ubuntu-system-adjustments, but this seems not the be the "real" package, because it only contains some minor things and seems to be some private thing...
And on the Linux Mint Github https://github.com/linuxmint this package is not listed...
Can someone tell me, where I can change the package "ubuntu-system-adjustments"?

Return to “MATE”