MDM not working (as a service anymore)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thorx89

MDM not working (as a service anymore)

Post by thorx89 »

Hi,

All of a sudden, I started having some serious issues with MDM -- in short, it won't start, leaving me at the console.
Tinkering around a bit, I found out that startx works just fine and so does starting /sbin/mdm directly, however, accessing mdm via the service interface (service mdm start/restart/stop) always fails. sudo /etc/init.d/mdm start fails as well.
No logs are being generated in /var/log/mdm .
My current version of mdm is 1.2.5, and I'm on Linux Mint Maya 13.

I have currently installed lightdm to get by temporarily, but I would like to solve this issue.
Anyone having the same problem? Any luck solving it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: MDM not working (as a service anymore)

Post by karlchen »

Hello, thorx89.

The correct commandline is

Code: Select all

sudo service mdm start/restart/stop
Yet, during the late boot phase the upstart routines are run by root. So no "sudo" needs to be prefixed. And more importantly the command should be executed automatically and correctly.
When mdm is not running, what does the commandline

Code: Select all

service mdm start
tell you exactly?

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
thorx89

Post by thorx89 »

Hi,
thanks for the reply.
It doesn't really say anything, it simply doesn't work anymore.

Logs in /var/log show that the "mdm main processes terminated with status 127".
I can't seem to be able to get it to spill out any more information.
thorx89

Post by thorx89 »

OK, I figured it out.

I did "man service", finding out that it runs scripts in /etc/init.
Then I went went line by line /etc/init/mdm.conf , which led me to discover that the error was in one of the files mdm.conf was trying to source in, namely in /etc/profile .

Now it's working just fine. :-)
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Sorry to "necro" the thread, but could you tell me what was wrong with those config files? Because I'm having the same problem, i.e. MDM not starting, after I installed Cinnamon 2.0 under LM 14.

Thanks in advance!
virtualxtc

Post by virtualxtc »

Same issue here. There are other posts else where claim it's font related, but I can't seem to trace it to that. Clearly the OP has a better knoledge of this and it would be sweet if someone told us exactly what is wrong with /etc/init/mdm.conf because the lines in it I see about /etc/profile seem harmless to me, but I really have no clue what they do. Or beter yet, if someone could post a working version of /etc/init/mdm.conf we could diff against that might help shed some light.

For others finding this post, it didn't work for me, but you might want to check here to see if it helps you: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=136307
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Well I installed Linux Mint 16 on a different partition, and was the definitive fix for this issue ... ;)

Rehdon
Pela

Post by Pela »

I think fontconfig made startup services confusion...

I solved this way:

installed fontconfig-infinality (cool!)

on reboot mdm won't start, then execute:

sudo update-rc.d -f mdm remove
sudo update-rc.d mdm defaults

reboot and mdm works again.

hope this help
Pela
athom

Post by athom »

Thanks for the solution ! I had this problem several times when I installed "Lacie Network Assistant".package file
I don't know why :O
tonywhelan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tonywhelan »

I had installed Lacie Network Assistant today and suffered this mdm failure afterwards.

After 2 hours of getting nowhere I found Pela's post and it worked perfectly. Everything is back to normal again.

Thank you Pela !!! :D :D
Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon household.
If your issue is solved, please edit your first post in the topic, adding [SOLVED] to the title.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Pela wrote:installed fontconfig-infinality (cool!)
MDM is incompatible with infinality and Mint developers state that it should be fixed on infinality's side.
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

This post and an ubuntu wiki recovery page got me back into a blocked or hung up Mint17 . I had installed some font hinting tweak from infinality and fontconfig. it broke the mdm and/or some samba auto upload integration something or other
It was still helpful to me now Sept.4th 2014.
thanks
had run out of hope. i had to learn how to use the recovery mode 'drop to shell 'something so i could read and write to get rid of the offending infinality issue

Return to “Software & Applications”