[Solved]How to backup Properties-Notes

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pasu

[Solved]How to backup Properties-Notes

Post by pasu »

Hi, in Linux Mint I can put a note on any file/folder by right clicking it and click the "Notes" tab. I wonder if there is a way to backup these notes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lew_Rockwell_Fan

Re: How to backup Properties-Notes

Post by Lew_Rockwell_Fan »

Don't they get backed up with the rest of your data? With whatever backup protocol you use? If not, do you know why not? That seems passing strange.
pasu

Post by pasu »

Lew_Rockwell_Fan wrote:Don't they get backed up with the rest of your data? With whatever backup protocol you use? If not, do you know why not? That seems passing strange.
Any backup tool you use requires you to choose the location/file to backup. Without knowing which file to backup, the only ways I can think of are either backing up the whole / structure or cloning the drive using tool like clonezilla. I am looking for a simple and easy backup solution which I can do it often and quickly.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Pasu,
What you want to know is where sticky notes are located on your disk ? don't you?
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
Lew_Rockwell_Fan

Don_Pedro wrote:Pasu,
What you want to know is where sticky notes are located on your disk ? don't you?
If so, that shouldn't be hard. Create one with a unique text string like "aunt martha is a carpenter on space ship Apathy" and then use mate-search-tool to find a file containing that string.
pasu

Post by pasu »

Lew_Rockwell_Fan wrote:
Don_Pedro wrote:Pasu,
If so, that shouldn't be hard. Create one with a unique text string like "aunt martha is a carpenter on space ship Apathy" and then use mate-search-tool to find a file containing that string.
Thanks for reply. Though I am not sure if that is called "sticky note" because it does not stick any where at all, I have tried the method you provided.
To create a property note with special string text
1. I right clicked on a random file which I wanted to put a note on, then chose "Properties".
2. When the property window pop up, I clicked on "Notes" tab and entered a random text like 09399r39ir3lr
3. I closed the popup window
4. Search the whole / directory for any file/folder that contain the text string above.

It took a long time because It searched all the location under the / directory. Howeveer it returned no result. I suspect the file it saved the note to is either encrypted or using non-ascii code.
Not a big deal but it eliminates the purpose of creating the Properties-Note in the first place by making it a temporary and non-recoverable. I wish there is a tool which can track the Ubuntu processes in deeper level so I know which resources are used/modified during a process.
Lew_Rockwell_Fan

pasu wrote: I suspect the file it saved the note to is either encrypted or using non-ascii code.
Or perhaps compressed. There may be a way to search inside compressed archive files that could be used in an extensive recursive search but if there is I don't know about it.
Or maybe just hidden. I didn't realize it, but I just tested it now - mate-search-tool defaults to not looking at hidden files. If you didn't set it to do that explicitly you might get results if you try it that way. After starting the gui you click "show more options". Then it may show "search hidden and backup files" as an option. If not there is a drop down menu "Available options". Highlight "search hidden and backup files" and click the add button. I just tested this by searching for text in a hidden file. With the default settings it didn't find it but when I added this, it did. I did not know this, so I've learned something from this, for which I thank you.
pasu wrote:I wish there is a tool which can track the Ubuntu processes in deeper level so I know which resources are used/modified during a process.
Possibly you could use the same program. If searching with the "show hidden" set doesn't find it for you, you could when you first boot up on a given day or maybe better yet just after midnight make a note and then search for files created today. I think if you did it immediately after midnight there probably won't be too many to look through. If instead you try after the first boot of a day there might be a lot of files changed in the boot process so you'd have more to look through. I'm just guessing though.
pasu

Post by pasu »

nm, found the answer after so long:

Found from the post herehttp://quia.cf/orange/pooxy4/nph-poxy.pl/es/20/http/askubuntu.com/questions/51742/move-emblems-and-notes-with-copy I can backup all the files in ~/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/ and get all my emblem settings along with notes. When I restore the files back to the folder, I need to use sudo. Also, I have to restart the pc before the restoration takes effect.

Return to “MATE”