How to use ARROW KEYS when switching WINDOWS with ATL+TAB?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Edd443

How to use ARROW KEYS when switching WINDOWS with ATL+TAB?

Post by Edd443 »

Hello. I'm a beginner in Llinux and Mate desktop and I'd like to be able to use the arrow keys after pressing ALT+TAB (and holding ALT) to switch between windows faster, just like you do in Windows OS and in other Linux window managers/desktops.

If you have several windows open, for example 25, and when you press ALT+TAB the window you want to go is in the 13th place (see picture) then you'll have to press TAB 12 more times before releasing ALT in order to select and switch to that window.
It would be much faster if you could use your arrow keys, because you would only have to press DOWN ARROW twice and RIGHT ARROW once (or vice versa) - JUST THREE KEY PRESSES - to get to that window thumbnail/icon.
And three key presses is much faster than TWELVE key presses.

Of course this is not as likely if you have just a couple of windows/programs open. But if you have three or more, It'll be ALWAYS faster to use the arrow keys than to press TAB several times.

All ideas are welcome (remember I'm just a beginner who wants things to be easy) EXCEPT TELLING ME TO USE ANOTHER WINDOW MANAGER! I'm looking for the solution in Mate, not in Gnome or any other desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yoburtu

Re: How to use ARROW KEYS when switching WINDOWS with ATL+TA

Post by yoburtu »

Hello,

Have you solved this problem in MATE?. I'm very interesting in this behavior.

Best regards.
Edd443

Re: How to use ARROW KEYS when switching WINDOWS with ATL+TA

Post by Edd443 »

Hello, sorry for not answering. I think I never got a notification about your reply or I totally missed it.
No, I couldn't find a way in mate. I switched to xfce ever since.
yoburtu

Re: How to use ARROW KEYS when switching WINDOWS with ATL+TAB?

Post by yoburtu »

Hello,

any news with this behavior?. I still can not do it yet in MATE Desktop 1.18.

It's a shame, this is the only reason I do not use MATE Desktop and I would like to use it.

Best regards.

Return to “MATE”