Mouse is acting a fool.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Misswham1

Mouse is acting a fool.

Post by Misswham1 »

I have just installed 17 a mth ago and everything was fine until 3 days ago when my mouse has started acting crazy. If I move it across the screen, it starts highlighting everything, clicking on things I dont want it to etc. When I hold the mouse over the bookmarks in firefox, it starts opening pages and moving my bookmarks around to where I cant find them anymore. Its has lost its mind. I have used 3 mice and they all are doing the same. I have gone to my mouse settings and i have moved everything to slow and it wont stop. It is doing it in Chrome and in my folders also. What could be the problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Mouse is acting a fool.

Post by ibbill »

Hi Just a couple ideas a few others have had with this.

Have you tried a different usb port for your mouse.

Do you have a joystick hooked up.

Is this a lap top by any chance.
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

Yes the other mice were in another usb and no joystick and its a desktop. I accidentally hit send and all I did was running the mouse back up to correct something and it went past send and it sent without my clicking. This is frightening.
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

Just changed it to yet another usb and its still doing it. This just started. OMG, I just came from Ubuntu because it started acting crazy and I was confident that I wouldnt have problem with Mint.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

OH my sorry about this problem your having. Are you saying this same problem happened in ubuntu also.

Type this in a terminal lsusb and post the results may help someone else help you here.

How long have you been using Mint Mate. 17

Last suggestion I have is to run in a terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
reboot.
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

I didnt have this problem in Ubuntu but I had a problem with delayed reactions with the mouse and when I would type something, it would take an addtional 3 to 5 seconds to show up on the screen. I had been using ubuntu for 7 yrs before that happened. It happened after an update one day. I have been using mint for about a mth. Here are the results.

olivia@olivia-VPCL116FX ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 003: ID 054c:040d Sony Corp.
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 045e:00b0 Microsoft Corp. Digital Media Pro Keyboard
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 005: ID 0e8f:00fb GreenAsia Inc.
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ca:18b5 Ricoh Co., Ltd Sony Vaio Integrated Webcam
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1926:0065 NextWindow 1950 HID Touchscreen
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 044e:3017 Alps Electric Co., Ltd BCM2046 Bluetooth Device
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 054c:0408 Sony Corp.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 054c:0374 Sony Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Hope someone else jumps in here. Did you run updates and reboot and the same problem exist? Do you use the touch screen along with the mouse?

Seeing as how this just started for no reason. You may want to try the solution of turning off your touch screen thread ANSWER #2 change number 9 to 5 as this is your touch screen number. If it does not help you can always just remove it. Rebooting always helps also.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/581190/h ... -sony-vaio

Good luck let us know how you made out.
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

Ran updates and rebooted and still the same, never ever used the touchscreen because It's a desktop. Now it is touchscreen but not once have I used it in my life, heck I had even forgotten it was touchscreen because when I bought it, I was told by different forums that touchscreen didnt work in linux so I never tried and I just touched my screen and it doesnt work. I dont know what to do. It isnt my mouse because like I said, I have used others and still the same. Any other suggestions besides just trying another distro? I have set this up just to my liking and this started this week and I didnt change any settings. Could it have been from one of the updates?
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Same issue here ,and it's a PS2 mouse. It's only happening with firefox.
I thought at first desktop being hacked, but no network connections to be seen when this occured.
I happens very randomly ,and seems to happen when a webpage some particular code (javascript/html/flash) is handled.
I'm still trying to pinpoint the source of this.
I'm on a Mint 17.1 , with all suggested updated ,and I'm on a nvidia graphical card.
Only 2 plugins enabled in FF : shockwave flash and stylish (default mint option).
I'll keep you posted if I can see when it exaclt occurs. (html code ,javascript or flash)
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Misswham1 Can you try 3 more things sorry nothing is helping. Can you use the usb port that you keyboard is in and switch the keyboard where your mouse is plugged into. See if anything changes please.

Can you boot up from Your mint cd or dvd and see if any problems with the mouse or keyboard.

Turn off the computer and unplug the power cord for a few seconds then plug in and reboot.

Misswham1 that is all I can think of hope someone else can help really sorry about that.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

I went into synaptic under all and type mouse this is what shows installed on mine.
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

I went and tried it through a live cd and I booted in windows and then the same happened. I just went to target and bought an OLD SCHOOL mouse with the cord and it works fine. The others I had were wireless. So I will stick with the wired mouse. Thanks for your suggestions but it seems to be working fine now. This wireless mess is probably too much now. Wired is just better. I dont use much wireless for things.

Thanks all
Misswham1

Post by Misswham1 »

Im glad I didnt try another distro because this one works fine and from what I have read, its the most popular, even over Ubuntu and I was an Ubuntu FOOL. I know this is almost the same because I loved Unity but I'm satisfied with this very much.

Return to “MATE”