LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wayne128

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or other non-standard) BREAKAGES!

Post by wayne128 »

GeneC wrote:
I guess my spirit of adventure makes me think I will try when It gets here, but from what I have seen, I dont like. :? Odd that I experiment with everything else, but always go back to the old Gnome Desktop. I added XFCE4 to this for a while, but its gone. Compiz would not autoload when switching between Gnome and XFCE. I may try a straight XFCE install.
I do not add xfce on top of other desktop. so far a have a few xfce partitions, they are snappy may be because they are lighter.

on those xfce 4.8 distros (not Debian based), I can see it seems to be a mini-gnome, the network browsing Icon makes its file manager look even more like nautilus.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

wayne128 wrote: I do not add xfce on top of other desktop. so far a have a few xfce partitions, they are snappy may be because they are lighter.
Hey Wayne!

Yes, that was not the best experiment. I did not see the full benefit of XFCE by putting it on top of Gnome. I can see a fresh install of the base Mint XFCE in the future. :wink:
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

I dislike the concept of gnome-shell. I have more control over how I want the GUI to look and behave in Gnome 2.30/Compiz as it is now. Gnome Shell is a step backwards. It's the GUI I have now, with LESS configurability. It may be fine for folks who want "clean, simple, minimalist", but I like the shiny bells and whistles compiz brings. I like being able to configure my own color schemes, my own expo layout, my own virtual desktop management method. And Gnome 3 expects me to swallow this big ugly black menu that takes up 1/4 of the screen.. thanks, but I'll pass. I'm happy with Expo and the rotating desktop sphere in Compiz.

The same thing that happened with KDE. Version 3.5 offered the user a plethora of configuration over colors, styles, panels, menus, etc. Version 4.0 offered a black bar whose color couldn't be changed. And Gnome decides to follow the KDE model of "success" and institute a mandatory black bar menu, while removing configuration options present in the previous release. Gnome 3 also seems to adopt the ridiculous KDE 4 level of bloat in a menu. I've NEVER liked search functionality within a menu. If you have to search while you're in a menu, you have too many items in your menu! Thus you have also defeated the point of having a menu at all.

Should version 3 get stuffed down our throats I can use the same GTK, Emerald, and Icon themes in XFCE and still use compiz. About the only thing I'd be losing would be some gnome-panel apps and GnoMenu. But thankfully Debian isn't Ubuntu, and I can see Gnome 2.x sticking around as an option for quite some time.

And it is nice to know there are other "Well aged" linux users here, I'm not the sole lunatic who upgraded to Sid, and doesn't mind getting my hands dirty fixing things via CLI.

the wonder patch seems to be in liquorix 2.6.37 as well:

Code: Select all

sudoku@amitabha ~ $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/sched_autogroup_enabled
sudoku@amitabha ~ $ uname -r
2.6.37-5.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Has anyone here installed Nautilus-Elementry? And if so how is system stability?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

.....And it is nice to know there are other "Well aged" linux users here, I'm not the sole lunatic who upgraded to Sid.....
It seems us older fellas like to experiment.... Who said "... You cant teach old dogs new tricks..."
Nice to meet you all.
....fixing things via CLI....
That one is still a work in progress for me. Only been at this Linux thing for about 8 months. :wink:
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

Well, like I said---Gnome3 is not Gnome-Shell---Gnome3 basic is just Gnome2 with the 3 libraries...so even after Gnome2 goes to the wayside (about a 1~2 year plan), you can still use basic to run the same as now. Compiz is not running with Gnome3 (yet), but I'm betting that won't take too long either...

Now that Gnome-Shell is "released", I'm also betting that there will be a hackfest to extend its feature-set & capabilities. I predict that in a 1~2 year timeframe we will be looking at a different animal.....Gnome did learn to some degree from KDE & allowed a one click choice at GDM to determine if you wanted G-S or Gnome3 basic....you just choose between "Gnome3" for the G-S session or "Gnome" for the Gnome3 basic session. Yes, there is little choice on theme/icons right now, but I am sure that will open up soon.....The one thing that the Gnome devs did do right is make mod writing easier--good amounts of config are simple .xml files
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

GeneC wrote:
.....And it is nice to know there are other "Well aged" linux users here, I'm not the sole lunatic who upgraded to Sid.....
It seems us older fellas like to experiment.... Who said "... You cant teach old dogs new tricks..."
Nice to meet you all.
....fixing things via CLI....
That one is still a work in progress for me. Only been at this Linux thing for about 8 months. :wink:
Amen to that!!! I was a UNIX guy in the 70's--a Mac guy in the 80' & 90's (did beta work for OSX late '99 & '00) & moved to Linux in '04 (Yellowdog Linux & then to Ubuntu with the Warty release Oct '04)--CLI is the ONE thing that will give you power...Chroot into a "broken" install & aptitude update then aptitude upgrade....or use aptitude to remove or downgrade---so easy & powerful. If anyone wants--I have a customizable chroot script that will save you tons of grief......PM me & i'll send it to you....
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

Amen to that!!! I was a UNIX guy in the 70's--a Mac guy in the 80' & 90's (did beta work for OSX late '99 & '00) & moved to Linux in '04 (Yellowdog Linux & then to Ubuntu with the Warty release Oct '04)--CLI is the ONE thing that will give you power...Chroot into a "broken" install & aptitude update then aptitude upgrade....or use aptitude to remove or downgrade---so easy & powerful. If anyone wants--I have a customizable chroot script that will save you tons of grief......PM me & i'll send it to you....
the real fun is when your grub get borked, and you have to boot from a live cd, chroot, & update-grub :)

I remember when an OS came on one 5 1/4" disk. My old 8088 running DOS. Two 5 1/4" drives, no HD, CGA graphics, and an external 2400 modem. BBS anyone? :)

Curious if anyone else here is glad to be rid of Ubuntu and breathing easier now that they're using a Debian based system. Debian is just so much more .... organic than Ubuntu
autocrosser

Post by autocrosser »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:the real fun is when your grub get borked, and you have to boot from a live cd, chroot, & update-grub :)

I remember when an OS came on one 5 1/4" disk. My old 8088 running DOS. Two 5 1/4" drives, no HD, CGA graphics, and an external 2400 modem. BBS anyone? :)

Curious if anyone else here is glad to be rid of Ubuntu and breathing easier now that they're using a Debian based system. Debian is just so much more .... organic than Ubuntu
Yep--been there--done that :lol: When Grub2 was very new--during Karmic Testing,,,,,lots of non-booting b0rkage. Let's see---how about loading a program into a terminal with punch tape????? Port system, about '71 Was writing in HP basic. I just missed owning a Mac Lisa...my first Mac was a toaster box in '84 & then I moved "up" to a Color Classic---upgraded it with a 1G drive--cost me $200 at the time......

As far as Ubuntu.....Well, I left due to a "spat" with one of the developers about Unity....I will guess that will become a very familiar comment in the next few months......I had wanted to work with Debian & Mint moving there gave me the final nudge to do it, so here I am.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Todays update of Tomboy from 1.2.2 to 1.6 broke for me. (Would not load at all, even tried a full reboot). I see no other mentions on the other forums. Thinking it was just specific to me, and (being a bit tired). I took the easy way out, and uninstalled and downloaded the old 1.2.2 from "testing". Its working fine again. I pinned 1.2.2

Here is the error I got running "tomboy"

gene@zordon ~ $ tomboy
/home/gene/.themes/Night-Impression/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:237: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/tomboy/libtomboy.so
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Tomboy.XKeybinder:tomboy_keybinder_init ()
  at Tomboy.XKeybinder..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.GnomeFactory.CreateKeybinder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Services.get_Keybinder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.GConfKeybindingToAccel.AddAccelerator (Gtk.MenuItem item, System.String gconf_path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray.MakeTrayNotesMenu () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager, ITomboyTray tray) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTrayIcon..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Tomboy.StartTrayIcon () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Tomboy.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I tired updating to 1.6 again.

/usr/share/themes/Night-Impression/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:237: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
/usr/share/themes/Night-Impression/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:237: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.
(Reading database ... 149273 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace tomboy 1.6.0-1 (using .../tomboy_1.6.0-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement tomboy ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_y)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_y)
Setting up tomboy (1.6.0-1) ...
Still no good.

I'm done for the day. :shock:
Just a tad tired.

Check back tomorrow. :wink:
Last edited by GeneC on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

The annoying breakage I ran into today (4/10/2011): lmms and wine can not be installed concurrently. Either or OR the other can be installed, but not both.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GeneC wrote:Todays update of Tomboy from 1.2.2 to 1.6 broke for me. (Would not load at all, even tried a full reboot). I see no other mentions on the other forums. Thinking it was just specific to me, and (being a bit tired). I took the easy way out, and uninstalled and downloaded the old 1.2.2 from "testing". Its working fine again. I pinned 1.2.2

Here is the error I got running "tomboy"

gene@zordon ~ $ tomboy
/home/gene/.themes/Night-Impression/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:237: Murrine configuration option "scrollbar_color" is no longer supported and will be ignored.

Unhandled Exception: System.DllNotFoundException: /usr/lib/tomboy/libtomboy.so
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) Tomboy.XKeybinder:tomboy_keybinder_init ()
  at Tomboy.XKeybinder..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.GnomeFactory.CreateKeybinder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Services.get_Keybinder () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.GConfKeybindingToAccel.AddAccelerator (Gtk.MenuItem item, System.String gconf_path) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray.MakeTrayNotesMenu () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTray..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager, ITomboyTray tray) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.TomboyTrayIcon..ctor (Tomboy.NoteManager manager) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Tomboy.StartTrayIcon () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Tomboy.Tomboy.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I tired updating to 1.6 again.

(Reading database ... 149273 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace tomboy 1.6.0-1 (using .../tomboy_1.6.0-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement tomboy ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/main_window_y)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_x)
WARNING: Failed to parse default value `' for schema (/schemas/desktop/gnome/f-spot/ui/viewer_y)
Setting up tomboy (1.6.0-1) ...
Still no good.

I'm done for the day. :shock:
Just a tad tired.

Check back tomorrow. :wink:
Yes, it appears to be broken.
Reported at the Debian forum, as well.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... b385d19d15
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

autocrosser wrote:YES---I've been in for quite a while now---Vote to sticky this thread......

And yes, I was "caught" by the udev update---unplug/plug brought the mouse back & I was going to bug-search the issue when I saw TheGreatSudoku's thread....I had installed apt-listbugs---but I "thought" that it wasn't a "real" big problem---truth is that it wasn't....just annoying :lol:

Who's tracking Gnome3? I've been waiting for the big 3.0 update & most of my install is still at 2.92.91/92--any repos anyone can think of other than experimental?
I have been playing around with Gnome 3 for a couple of weeks now and like it pretty well (gnome-shell) when it is working. I'm currently broken again on 2 systems with the updates / upgrades of the past couple of days. On both systems, desktop with nvidia GTX260 and laptop with ATI/Radeon x1200, I get to the login screen and when I enter my password it tries to load up the background and crashes with an error, although my awn dock still comes up in a 2d looking form and allows to me still to get to some of the GUI tools and apps. I've noticed a lot of 3.0.* version updates coming through. Hopefully, they'll get it all fixed in a bit. So, doesn't really seem to matter if it's xorg ATI or proprietary nVidia from the debian repos, there's some update(s) that breaking the systems the same way, I haven't dug too far into yet.
slaymo

Post by slaymo »

Starting tracking Sid overnight. Upgrade went well. Running audio and wine programs and games fine (WoW has improved framerates), didn't have to config xserver just booted straight into the nvidia beta driver with no dramas (Nvidia 9800GT using NVIDIA 270.30) :D Installed 400+ updates and two new kernels (liqurix and the standard 2.6.38-2-amd64).

My hardware is as follows;
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processors
4gb corsair DDR 3
ASUS M4N98TD EVO motherboard
9800 GT Nvidia (getting old i know but glad it worked out of the box with sid so far)

My LMDE is standard repositories pointing to sid for base/security/multimedia - i like the standard kernel so far and may not even need the liqurix one I installed as well.

All in all a very pleasing and non-eventful upgrade :)
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

sidneyk wrote:
autocrosser wrote:YES---I've been in for quite a while now---Vote to sticky this thread......

And yes, I was "caught" by the udev update---unplug/plug brought the mouse back & I was going to bug-search the issue when I saw TheGreatSudoku's thread....I had installed apt-listbugs---but I "thought" that it wasn't a "real" big problem---truth is that it wasn't....just annoying :lol:

Who's tracking Gnome3? I've been waiting for the big 3.0 update & most of my install is still at 2.92.91/92--any repos anyone can think of other than experimental?
I have been playing around with Gnome 3 for a couple of weeks now and like it pretty well (gnome-shell) when it is working. I'm currently broken again on 2 systems with the updates / upgrades of the past couple of days. On both systems, desktop with nvidia GTX260 and laptop with ATI/Radeon x1200, I get to the login screen and when I enter my password it tries to load up the background and crashes with an error, although my awn dock still comes up in a 2d looking form and allows to me still to get to some of the GUI tools and apps. I've noticed a lot of 3.0.* version updates coming through. Hopefully, they'll get it all fixed in a bit. So, doesn't really seem to matter if it's xorg ATI or proprietary nVidia from the debian repos, there's some update(s) that breaking the systems the same way, I haven't dug too far into yet.
I just grabbed some more updates and now gnome-shell is working again on both of my machines. There are some other apps and such that were working before that aren't now, for instance mintmenu and any of the menu applets from the AWN dock. Now mintmenu didn't work properly before but I could start it and get the familiar menu back with familiar links to other programs. I think it may have something to do with python, but I'm not sure. Gnome-shell 3.0.* came through after I got home this morning at 8:30CDT along with a few other updates and back to gnome-shell goodness. I actually like it, just waiting for some more customization options to come through and I would like to get my screensavers back, although xscreensaver was a working option. I have to check it out later to see if it still is.
sidneyk

Post by sidneyk »

slaymo wrote:Starting tracking Sid overnight. Upgrade went well. Running audio and wine programs and games fine (WoW has improved framerates), didn't have to config xserver just booted straight into the nvidia beta driver with no dramas (Nvidia 9800GT using NVIDIA 270.30) :D Installed 400+ updates and two new kernels (liqurix and the standard 2.6.38-2-amd64).

My hardware is as follows;
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processors
4gb corsair DDR 3
ASUS M4N98TD EVO motherboard
9800 GT Nvidia (getting old i know but glad it worked out of the box with sid so far)

My LMDE is standard repositories pointing to sid for base/security/multimedia - i like the standard kernel so far and may not even need the liqurix one I installed as well.

All in all a very pleasing and non-eventful upgrade :)
I have been using the standard 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel for a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues with it that I'm aware of. I've had a few other issues, playing around in the experimental repos, but not any kernel issues. It seems solid and pretty fast, especially running on 6 cores. I've an Nvidia GTX260 and I believe the proprietary drivers through dkms got upgraded without a hitch yesterday to 270.** something. I'll have to check, but I think that's what I saw coming through on the terminal during upgrades. I was also tracking unstable and experimental all night long waiting for updates to come through to fix my broken gnome-shell install and they finally came this morning and I was only broken a little over a day this time around. Living on the edge...ya gotta love it, lol.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

sidneyk wrote: I have been using the standard 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel for a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues with it that I'm aware of. ...............................Living on the edge...ya gotta love it, lol.
Yep! all has been going well with the new kernel, surprised to see so many guys tracking "testing" having some problems with it. I have Nvidia also, and that is running with no hitches. :wink:
slaymo

Post by slaymo »

sidneyk wrote:I have been using the standard 2.6.38-2-amd64 kernel for a few weeks now and I haven't had any issues with it that I'm aware of. I've had a few other issues, playing around in the experimental repos, but not any kernel issues. It seems solid and pretty fast, especially running on 6 cores. I've an Nvidia GTX260 and I believe the proprietary drivers through dkms got upgraded without a hitch yesterday to 270.** something. I'll have to check, but I think that's what I saw coming through on the terminal during upgrades. I was also tracking unstable and experimental all night long waiting for updates to come through to fix my broken gnome-shell install and they finally came this morning and I was only broken a little over a day this time around. Living on the edge...ya gotta love it, lol.
Yeah mate, standard kernel seems pretty rock solid so far, touch wood. Everything on my system that should be working is working (the only thing not working is a linksys wifi usb adapter but I'm not surprised it isn't, it's never worked in linux). These past couple of months are the first time I've seriously used Linux in a decade, back then I was living on the bleeding edge even just running the debian "stable" (oh how times have changed). I'm interested in giving experimental a go for the multimedia repo as I've seen a few of the guys and gals here doing that with minimal fuss. My problem is finding a good aussie mirror that contains the experimental multimedia packages, they seem to be few and far between. If worst comes to worst I can probably handle not running an aussie mirror for multimedia experimental, I'll just have to get used to downloading at around half the usual speed (at least till the government get round to installing the fibre optic to the home we've been promised here in Aus). Gnome-shell is my next experiment, looking forward to giving it a go (and recovering from the breakages it's been causing) :) Gonna be a fun few weeks holidays for me I thinks :P
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

wayne128 wrote: But I have Aptosid -KDE on Sid and Debian gnome on Sid,
Debian gnome-sid is with 2.6.38-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Aptosid kde -sid is with 2.6.38-2.slh.3-aptosid-686
Did full DU ( Dist-Upgrade)

Aptosid kde - sid is now with 2.6.38-2.slh.7-aptosid-686. No issue. But I do not use Tomboy note.

Debina gnome -Sid is now with 2.6.38-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64.
No issue on Synaptic's Mark All Upgrades icon, perhaps it is Mint specific?
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

wayne128 wrote:
Did full DU ( Dist-Upgrade)

Aptosid kde - sid is now with 2.6.38-2.slh.7-aptosid-686. No issue. But I do not use Tomboy note.

Debina gnome -Sid is now with 2.6.38-2.dmz.2-liquorix-amd64.
No issue on Synaptic's Mark All Upgrades icon, perhaps it is Mint specific?
Yes, It appears the "mintsystem" update is the culprit. . :evil:
Re: LMDE BREAKAGES - read here first - Update 30 mar 2011
by zerozero on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:57 pm

yeahh mintsystem is the one for sure and also for removing the mark all upgrades button in synaptic;
the only 2 updates i had today was mintsystem and mint-x-theme

and these are the installed files related to mintsystem

CODE: SELECT ALL
/.
/etc
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/mintsystem
/etc/linuxmint
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/10-mintsystem-synaptic.overwrite
/etc/linuxmint/adjustments/README
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/mint-fortune
/usr/bin/rtfm
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/linuxmint
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/adjustments
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/adjustments/synaptic.glade
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/adjustments/window_main.ui
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/mint-adjust.py
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/templates
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/templates/apt.conf
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintSystem/templates/preferences
/usr/local
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/bin/apt
/usr/local/bin/highlight
/usr/local/bin/mint-md5sum
/usr/local/bin/search
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/mintsystem
/usr/share/doc/mintsystem/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/mintsystem/copyright
bliss of ignorance

zerozero
Level 4

wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Life is interesting!

Did DU on Debian-gnome-Testing ( another partition). it get 2.6.38 kernel as expected.
and reboot with kernel crash...

Reboot a few more times and it did not repeat the boot crash..
does not sound good when Sid did well but Testing had issue.
However once it boots up, it run well for hours.

Anyway just track for a while to observe.

Return to “LMDE Archive”