LMDE BREAKAGES - (Tracking SID!) -{CLOSED}

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jlsmith722

Re: LMDE (Tracking SID, or other non-standard) BREAKAGES!

Post by jlsmith722 »

Caution Updating
This afternoon's dist-update wanted to remove 56 packages! Included were gnome-shell, gnome-session-fallback,and most Mint packages. This was after an uneventful upgrade.

.Upgrade:
The following packages have been kept back:
gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0
The following packages will be upgraded:
gnome-menus libcluttergesture-0.0.2-0 libgirepository-1.0-1 libmx-1.0-2
xserver-xorg-video-intel
5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,695 kB of archives.
After this operation, 456 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y

dist-upgrade:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
alacarte apturl awn-applets-python-core awn-settings bleachbit bluez
compizconfig-settings-manager deskbar-applet gedit gimp gnome-about
gnome-applets gnome-bluetooth gnome-panel gnome-session
gnome-session-fallback gnome-shell gnome-tweak-tool gnome-user-share gufw
mint-common mintbackup mintdesktop mintmenu mintnanny mintsystem
mintupdate-debian mintupload mintwelcome mintwifi ndisgtk python-awn
python-bugbuddy python-evolution python-gconf python-glade2 python-gmenu
python-gnome2 python-gnomeapplet python-gnomedesktop python-gnomekeyring
python-gobject python-gst0.10 python-gtk2 python-gtksourceview2
python-gtkspell python-notify python-pyatspi python-rsvg python-sexy
python-vte python-webkit python-wnck software-properties-gtk
system-config-printer totem-plugins
gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 56 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 183 kB of archives.
After this operation, 88.4 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Saw similar remove issue yesterday, thus took a break and HOLD

today Sid sounds like in good mood: 1 to remove but replace with new version
well, just hold on and check later..

Code: Select all

libgcr-3-0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  glib-networking-common glib-networking-services libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1
  libgcr-3-common libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-menu-3-0
  libtracker-sparql-0.12-0 libvte-2.90-common libx11-protocol-perl
  python-gobject-2
  acpid baobab binfmt-support brasero brasero-common btrfs-tools
  cups-pk-helper dictionaries-common docbook-xsl docbook-xsl-doc-html eog
  file-roller gedit gedit-common gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-glib-2.0
  gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0
  gir1.2-peas-1.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gjs glib-networking
  gnome-dictionary gnome-font-viewer gnome-keyring gnome-menus gnome-panel
  gnome-panel-data gnome-screenshot gnome-search-tool gnome-shell
  gnome-system-log gnome-terminal gnome-terminal-data gnome-themes-standard
  gnome-utils gnome-utils-common gucharmap libatkmm-1.6-1 libbrasero-media3-1
  libdatrie1 libfreetype6 libgail-3-0 libgdict-1.0-6 libgirepository-1.0-1
  libgjs0b libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-bin libglib2.0-data libgnome-keyring0
  libgnome-menu2 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin libgtk-3-common libgucharmap-2-90-7
  libgudev-1.0-0 libjaxp1.3-java libjaxp1.3-java-gcj libjs-jquery
  libjson-glib-1.0-0 libmutter0 libpam-gnome-keyring libpanel-applet-4-0
  libpangomm-1.4-1 libpeas-1.0-0 libpeas-common libperl5.14 librsvg2-2
  librsvg2-common libtext-iconv-perl libthai-data libthai0 libtotem0 libudev0
  libunique-1.0-0 libvlc5 libvlccore4 libvte-2.90-9 libvte-common libvte9
  linux-kbuild-3.1 menu mutter-common perl perl-base perl-modules python-gmenu
  python-gobject python-vte seahorse totem totem-common totem-mozilla
  totem-plugins udev unetbootin unetbootin-translations user-setup vlc-data
  xdg-utils xfsprogs xserver-xorg-video-intel
105 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 99.0 MB of archives.
After this operation, 11.2 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

jlsmith722 wrote:Caution Updating
This afternoon's dist-update wanted to remove 56 packages! Included were gnome-shell, gnome-session-fallback,and most Mint packages. This was after an uneventful upgrade.
Interesting. I chose last night to dist-upgrade my system from testing to unstable (and then install GNOME Shell from experimental), so it was nigh impossible to tell what was being done (other than 700 MB was being downloaded and pretty much everything changed). But everything worked out fine, and today there are only a handful of relatively minor new updates that I can apply.
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

gcp wrote:
timh wrote:
Gnome login window has no font only this: [] [] [] []
the font mismatch may be solved by an full reinstall of the gdm3 package. Do NOT logoff or reboot between! :mrgreen:
Reinstall not working :(
I tried settings in the files, gsettings and the gnome-tweak-tool nothing worked.
The gnome-tweak-tool say under theme & Shell Theme nothing and I can't change anything.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

try d-u again
sid want to remove 1 package, as highlight, however a newer one will be installed

went ahead , fully d-u, reboot, all is well.

libgcr-3-0
The following NEW packages will be installed:
glib-networking-common glib-networking-services libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-1
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

I have a new message during boot now.

Immediately after the message "Loading initial ramdisk" the nest lines that appear are:

This software is considered Deprecated
Please consider to switch to btrfs utilities

:?:
Anyone know what this is all about?
karashata

Post by karashata »

jlsmith722 wrote:I have a new message during boot now.

Immediately after the message "Loading initial ramdisk" the nest lines that appear are:

I'm not 100% certain, but I did a little digging around to try to find some pertinent information. I think it could mean that the current btrfs-tools package has been replaced with newer/better utilities by the upstream developers and the current package is no longer recommended. Checking the Debian package repos, btrfs-tools is still the only package available, so I can't really make heads or tails of it. I suppose as long as you've got the most recent version of btrfs-tools installed, you probably can't do much else, unless you're willing to dig up the most recent utilities package and build it yourself...

Another possibility is that you have an older/different software package installed for managing btrfs partitions that's since been replaced with btrfs-tools, in which case you're best bet would be to install btrfs-tools and replace that other package.

As far as I know, there's nothing entirely wrong with using depreciated software, as long as it works. Eventually, however, it will get out-dated since it's usually not being worked on anymore.

I hope that helps.
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

Karashata
Thanks for the info. Although Now I am really confused since I do don't have a btrfs system. I formatted the partition as ext4.
Could Debian be deprecating ext4 in favor of btrfs??
Ahh the joys of working my fumble fingered way to knowledge! :lol: :lol:
karashata

Post by karashata »

I highly doubt that, btrfs is still actively in development and hasn't reached a state where it's recommended for actual use. (At least, from what I've managed to find this is said to be the case.) I don't have any btrfs partitions either but the btrfs-tools package is still installed on my system, I think it may be a dependency of something else I have installed...

In any case, I'm fairly sure that message is ultimately harmless, since it only serves to inform you that the software you currently have installed is depreciated (meaning you may want to think about replacing it with whatever's taken its place...) Since you're not using any btrfs partitions anyway, you can probably just ignore it completely.
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

Thanks again Karashata, I will do that. I am very good at ignoring things :lol:
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

I wondered what was up with that also, since I see it since updating to Sid and I'm not using btrfs.

It is the default file system in Fedora 16, however.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Hello everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself and ask some questions.
First I am a convert from Linux Mandriva "Cooker". Well before that a convert from Windows.
Anyway I have settled in on Linux Mint Debian XFCE and am loving it.
I like to be on cutting edge or close to it. I am still learning LInux and Mint but feel pretty comfortable in debugging problems and don't mind the breakages now and then.
I have read every post in this thread (all 19 pages at this time) and am ready to stick with SID.
You guys might not think I am ready yet but I like challenges (opportunities). Looks like there is alot to learn here and you guys are excellent teachers.
I am an IT Manager where I work and support all Windows based systems. It would be great if I could convert the office to Linux but my work world isn't ready for that just yet.
Ok enough about all that now on to my questions.
I hope you guys will be patient with me as I learn.
To start with here is my current sources.list file.

## SID List
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import backport romeo
deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free #"Debian Security"
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main non-free #"SID Multimedia"
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free #"SID"
deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
I am on a Dell Latitude Laptop with an Nvidia card in it.
I noticed that Mint 12 is now released and since I am on Mint Debian I assume all my packages are up to date with what is released in 12.
I am getting the following message when I do a dist-upgrade.
I have seen some posts relating to this but I don't understand what I need to do to resolve this.

xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom
  xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips
  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740
  xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon
  xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
  xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
Thanks for helping. I hope I can help out also as I get more familiar with SID and Linux Mint Debian.
Dan
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

Welcome!
dcihon wrote: I noticed that Mint 12 is now released and since I am on Mint Debian I assume all my packages are up to date with what is released in 12.
Mint 12 is Ubuntu-based, so it's tracking completely different repos than LMDE. If you're tracking Unstable and you've updated your system, then you will be up-to-date with Unstable. Apples and oranges, but your apples are up-to-date.
dcihon wrote: I noticed that Mint 12 is now released and since I am on Mint Debian I assume all my packages are up to date with what is released in 12.
I am getting the following message when I do a dist-upgrade.
I have seen some posts relating to this but I don't understand what I need to do to resolve this.

xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-wacom
  xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips
  xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740
  xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-mach64 xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic
  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-openchrome xserver-xorg-video-r128 xserver-xorg-video-radeon
  xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage
  xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
  xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware
  xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
Hmm. I've seen that sort of message when I've done an update instead of a full dist-upgrade. Are you sure that you ran "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"?

If so, then perhaps you have these packages pinned (in /etc/apt/preferences)? My system has been modified quite a bit from its origins, and I don't remember if LMDE pinned some packages by default. I think maybe the latest version does...

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not having any problems, however (those are all updates for specific hardware).
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

dcihon, i thought that the xorg issue was solved here but i can see it isn't :shock: my bad, i should double-check it and not give it as closed.

anyway, the problem is
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xserver-xorg-core : Depends: libpixman-1-0 (>= 0.21.6) but 0.20.2-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
you have 2 options:
- light one (that i'm not sure if is going to work :lol: ): search for libpixmax in synaptic and force the unstable v. to install;
- heavy one (i'm almost sure it will work) is this one: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... an#p482881
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

@zerozero
Thanks for the help.
What I did was disable the linux mint repo from my sources.list and that got the xorg updates to install. System is running ok with those installed.
dcihon, i thought that the xorg issue was solved here but i can see it isn't :shock: my bad, i should double-check it and not give it as closed.
That had to do with me not getting kernel 3.1 working correctly. I kind of mixed to issues into one in that thread. That part did get solved as I noted in that thread.

After getting the xorg taken care of I now have the following message.
danc@danc-linux-mint ~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for danc:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
gtk2-engines-murrine
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

I will do some research on this issue and see what I can find.
Thanks for the help.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

dcihon, glade the xorg hold-back is solved and the system is running well;

i just want to make 2 clarifications here (and sorry if they are redundant)
1- disable the mint repo should be just a temporary measure (until you solved that issue), after that you can enable it again safely;

2- one should maintain our system with dist-upgrade instead of simple upgrade, only this way the system installs new required lib, get rid of old ones and "intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages"
upgrade
Used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, nor are packages that are not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.
dist-upgrade
In addition to performing the function of upgrade, this option also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones, if necessary.
dist-upgrade can be/is more aggressive and can lead you to breakages, but i prefer not to upgrade at all, if i see a very fishy output.
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

@zerozero
Thanks for the tutorial on upgrade vs dist-upgrade
before I read your post I used the synaptic package manager and it showed an update for gtk2-engines -murrine and I did it.
Here is what it did. I am not sure what all this means.
If things are ok or not. Still learning.
I probably cause my own problems. I am in the ready .... fire... aim mode.
I have done some reading before I attempt things but don't always find my answer or don't understand the answer and just end up firing away and then see what happens and deal with that.
I don't mean to waste anyone's time.
Thanks for your patience.

Retrieving bug reports... Done
Parsing Found/Fixed information... Done
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
debconf: (Unable to load Gtk -- is libgtk2-perl installed?)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
(Reading database ... 199428 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gtk2-engines-murrine 0.90.3+git20100323-0ubuntu3 (using .../gtk2-engines-murrine_0.98.1.1-3_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gtk2-engines-murrine ...
Selecting previously unselected package murrine-themes.
Unpacking murrine-themes (from .../murrine-themes_0.98.2_all.deb) ...
Setting up gtk2-engines-murrine (0.98.1.1-3) ...
Setting up murrine-themes (0.98.2) ...
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

Immediately after the message "Loading initial ramdisk" the next lines that appear are:

This software is considered deprecated
I'm also getting this message after a few harmless-looking package updates today. It's annoying that there's no indication of what it is that's deprecated. Moreover, this message isn't recorded in any log. Evidently whoever devised the message has given very little thought to the end-user.
jlsmith722

Post by jlsmith722 »

Brian49:
I had the same question and it was pointed out that btrfs-tools package is installed, probably as a dependency.
Seehttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p499196
Sure enough enough when I checked:

apt-cache policy btrfs-tools
btrfs-tools:
  Installed: 0.19+20111105-1
  Candidate: 0.19+20111105-1
  Version table:
 *** 0.19+20111105-1 0
        500 http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
I have had this for about a week and it has not caused a problem. So I do what I do best. ignore it. :P

Jim
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

The thing is, I've uninstalled btrfs-tools, with no dependencies flagged up, and the "deprecated" message is still there. Seems like it must refer to the Ext4 file system or some component of it, but without further information that's just guesswork on my part.

Return to “LMDE Archive”