Howto install LMDE with LVM (with or without encryption)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Howto install LMDE with LVM (with or without encryption)

Post by Trapper »

So, with LMDE 2 Betsy not supporting full disk encryption will work be continuing on the scripts mentioned in this thread? I ask because I did use Tom Roche's latest available script with Betsy MATE RC and successfully created a full disk encryption install. There's a caveat though. Near the end of the install I got an error that was 'somewhat like' "CP: cannot stat '/lib/live/boot" Things did seem a little different from that point on but the script did finish, the install boots up, etc. It just feels funny though as if something did not complete correctly. I can't quite put my finger on it. I do know mdm seems a little quirky. As an example the auto logging function can be set but it doesn't happen., atleast not with gdm login themes. You have to physically click on the user name (on a one user system) before login proceeds without the password. Timed login does work but custom times don't appear to be honored. Other system qlitches don't specifically come to mind at the moment, but here are a few other little odd behaviors in other things that I am not experiencing with a non-FDE install. It's just feels like some configurations near the end of the script were not addressed or set up properly. I just can't put my finger on it. I will say that I am a bit disappointed that the developers haven't integrated FDE into LMDE 2 yet but I am sure their reasons for not doing so are valid and we'll eventually have it happen. I am excited and encouraged that we do still have an FDE option, via these scripts, until then.
TomRoche

LMDE Betsy issue

Post by TomRoche »

Trapper wrote:with LMDE 2 Betsy not supporting full disk encryption will work be continuing on the scripts mentioned in this thread?
2 responses:
  1. I intend to maintain these scripts until someone more competent (e.g., the "LMDE team") takes them over or replaces them with something better. That being said, there are other things that are currently much higher on my priority list, and are likely to stay above this.
  2. One of the reasons I put the scripts in a public repository was to ensure that others could fork them for any reason whatsoever, but hopefully to improve them.
Trapper wrote:I did use Tom Roche's latest available script with Betsy MATE RC and successfully created a full disk encryption install.
Sooo ... does that not empirically imply that LMDE Betsy *does* support full disk encryption? Perhaps you mean that the LMDE Betsy *installer* does not provide full disk encryption as an option? Or am I missing something?
Trapper wrote:There's a caveat though. Near the end of the install I got an error that was 'somewhat like' "CP: cannot stat '/lib/live/boot" Things did seem a little different from that point on but the script did finish, the install boots up, etc. It just feels funny though as if something did not complete correctly.
It certainly sounds like something did not complete correctly, so I made this issue to track the problem. If you (or anyone else out there encountering an error message like

Code: Select all

cannot stat '/lib/live/boot'
) can add more context regarding when the error message occurs, or detail regarding subsequent problems, please add it to the issue. And to anyone who's got a fix: please make a pull request.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LMDE Betsy issue

Post by Trapper »

TomRoche wrote:
Trapper wrote:I did use Tom Roche's latest available script with Betsy MATE RC and successfully created a full disk encryption install.
Sooo ... does that not empirically imply that LMDE Betsy *does* support full disk encryption? Perhaps you mean that the LMDE Betsy *installer* does not provide full disk encryption as an option? Or am I missing something?
I am saying I encountered no provision in Betsy's installer that allowed me to do FDE through it, therefore I reverted to your script.

I will do more test installs over the next several days and will attempt to better identify what is/isn't transpiring after copying of squashfs. It just seems something relating to Inside() needs alteration for Betsy.

Thanks Tom.
TomRoche

Re: LMDE Betsy issue

Post by TomRoche »

Trapper wrote:I encountered no provision in Betsy's installer that allowed me to do FDE through it, therefore I reverted to your script.
I guessed :-) As previously noted, it's "out there" until such time as the LMDE installer provides options (like the Debian installer) for LUKS and LVM2 (or equivalents): the LMDE folks are obviously in a better position to make changes to installers that track underlying changes.
Trapper wrote:I will do more test installs over the next several days and will attempt to better identify what is/isn't transpiring after copying of squashfs. It just seems something relating to Inside() needs alteration for Betsy.
Sounds good! Just to reiterate, please post to the issue with any discoveries, and please make a pull request if you have a fix.
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

Actually, when I tried another install on the same hardware the install seemed to complete correctly. I did get the "CP: cannot stat '/lib/live/boot" blurp again but I cannot find any problems at all with the install. Everything seems to be working as it should after several days of usage. Perhaps the first was just a sour install. I will wait until the LMDE2 final is released until I do more.

I did try an install on an older box with legacy nvida video. Had to run the installer in compatibility mode to get video. Uniquely, on first boot I had no video but when I booted up in recovery mode video came up exactly as it should but video discovery in a normal boot fails. That's a different problem though. The FDE install, itself, did go okay.

More after the final release.
TomRoche

thanks again

Post by TomRoche »

Trapper wrote:Actually, when I tried another install on the same hardware the install seemed to complete correctly. I did get the "CP: cannot stat '/lib/live/boot" blurp again but I cannot find any problems at all with the install. Everything seems to be working as it should after several days of usage. Perhaps the first was just a sour install.
Truly it is said by computer scientists, "shi+ happens" :-) Intermittency is the scourge of complex systems.
Trapper wrote:I will wait until the LMDE2 final is released until I do more.
Thanks for doing as much as you have! I *suspect* that, the more we in the community can do in this space, the more likely it is that the LMDE maintainers will pick up this functionality. (but ICBW)
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Hi TomRoche,

Since the original thread author didn't come here since 24 Jul 2013, and LMDE 2 has been released yesterday, I suggest creating a new tutorial in LMDE 2 tutorials section. This way you'll be able to update the first post as many times as you wish. :)
TomRoche

all hail new tutorial

Post by TomRoche »

Monsta wrote:I suggest creating a new tutorial in LMDE 2 tutorials section.
Done. Thanks for the tip!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Nice. This thread can be closed now, I guess?
TomRoche

Post by TomRoche »

Monsta wrote:This thread can be closed now, I guess?
I.e., make it read-only, since its manual procedure is referenced from the new tutorial--works for me.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Ok, you can simply click on "report this post" button (with the exclamation mark) and ask to lock it.
TomRoche

seek the new help, (not!) same as the old help

Post by TomRoche »

Monsta wrote:ask to lock it.
@Monsta: done. I'd point to the request, but can't see how.

@everyone else: if you have further comments, complaints, or questions regarding installing LMDE with encryption or resizeability, please go to the follow-on LMDE2 tutorial thread.

Return to “LMDE Archive”