Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vankish

Re: Nvidia Graphics Drivers - Install Guide

Post by vankish »

LionHeart- wrote:You're going to have to try and install the official Nvidia drivers from the website. It seems to me that you have GeForce GT 740M, Try and download that, and just rename it to NVIDIA-Linux.run for simplicity it should be a .run extension by default. Now here are the steps.

1. Go into Synaptics and type on the search "xserver-xorg-video-nouveau" and delete just that package.
2. Go into Synaptics and type on the search "nvidia" and uninstall everything that has the name nvidia on it.
3. I would restart at this point, Now you need install NVIDIA-Linux.run. The linux operating system is case sensitive so type as you see. To install, press Ctrl+Alt+F1, log in and type theses commands "sudo service mdm stop" now to find NVIDIA-Linux.run. "cd /home/YOUR-USER-NAME-HERE/Downloads and once your in the "Downloads" directory type "sudo sh NVIDIA-Lniux.run" and say "YES" to everything.

If you're having problems finding NVIDIA-Linux.run in the "Downloads" folder from the command line, just move the NVIDIA-Linux.run file to your /home folder and all you have to do is run the "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux.run"
4. After everything is set and done, start the service again "sudo service mdm start" and to go back to your desktop press "Ctrl+Alt+F8" but for simplicity you can just restart your computer.

Let me know the description of any errors you encounter.

If I make this, Could I resolve the problem?, Could I configure the laptop to use the Nvidia Card?
indaba42

Post by indaba42 »

Hi vankish, I also have a Z510 and had lot's of trouble with the grafic the last year. Then all was easy out of the box with mint17 and the nvidia-343.13 driver. The new 343.22 is faulty so the only solution I found was to upgrade to kernel 3.16.3 and use the 340.32 driver from nvidia. Together with primus and bumblebee all features of the Z510 are available. I e.g. run Orbiter (a complex Windows space simulation) in wine with no problems. Here is what I've done:

* install new kernel 3.16.3
1. download newest stable kernel from:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
the needed files are:
linux-headers-3.16.3-generic_xxxxxxxxx_amd64.deb
linux-headers-3.16.3-xxxxxxxxx_all.deb
linux-image-3.16.3-generic_xxxxxxxxxxxx_amd64.deb
(or ...._i386.deb for 32-bit OS)
2. create folder e.g. <kernel-upgrade> in home
3. move *.deb-files from <download> to <kernel-upgrade>
4. open terminal and enter:
cd <kernel-upgrade>
sudo -s dpkg -i *.deb

* install ia32-libs
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

* add ppa & update/upgrade system
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
* sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa (only if you want wine 1.7.26)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

* kill and re-install grafic-driver
sudo apt-get purge bbswitch-dkms bumblebee-nvidia
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo apt-get install nvidia-340 nvidia-settings
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus primus-libs-ia32
sudo reboot

now you can run nvidia-settings to 'see' the GT740M
good luck ..... thos.
indaba42

Post by indaba42 »

Err, sorry I forgot: you have to reboot after the kernel installation !!!
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

Just incase this hasn't been added before. Please do this after any "UP" or "dist-upgrade". Do this before any re-boot.

"sudo apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-dkms"

It should solve any loss of X.
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645

Return to “LMDE Archive”