Adding KDE 4.8 to LMDE Testing, apt-get question

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
BostonPeng

Adding KDE 4.8 to LMDE Testing, apt-get question

Post by BostonPeng »

Now that I'm finally back on the LMDE testing repos (major thanks to zerozero for all his help) I'm wanting to move to KDE 4.8.3. I'm following the instructions at http://qt-kde.debian.net/ but it says to run

Code: Select all

aptitude -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade
I usually install with apt-get and I know it's a bad idea to mix apt-get and aptitude on the same system. I did some checking and I think the apt-get equivalent command is

sudo apt-get -t=experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade
Can someone either confirm my finding or correct it? I tried running that as a test and got this:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin kscreensaver
  kscreensaver-xsavers libplasmaclock4abi2 libtaskmanager4abi2
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libkactivities-bin libkactivities6 libkwineffects1abi3 libkwinglutils1
  libkworkspace4abi1 libplasmaclock4abi3 libtaskmanager4abi3 plasma-netbook
The following packages will be upgraded:
  dolphin freespacenotifier kate kate-data katepart kde-baseapps kde-baseapps-bin
  kde-baseapps-data kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kde-style-oxygen kde-wallpapers
  kde-wallpapers-default kde-window-manager kde-workspace-data kde-workspace-dev
  kde-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdebase-runtime kdebase-workspace-dev kdelibs-bin
  kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-dev kdelibs5-plugins kdepasswd kdepimlibs-kio-plugins
  kdeplasma-addons kdm kdoctools kfind khelpcenter4 kinfocenter klipper kmenuedit
  konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole ksysguard ksysguardd kwrite
  libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kabc4 libakonadi-kcal4 libakonadi-kde4
  libakonadi-kmime4 libgpgme++2 libkabc4 libkateinterfaces4 libkatepartinterfaces4
  libkcal4 libkcalcore4 libkcalutils4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5
  libkdecorations4 libkdecore5 libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4
  libkemoticons4 libkephal4abi1 libkfile4 libkholidays4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4
  libkimap4 libkimproxy4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkldap4 libkmediaplayer4
  libkmime4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4
  libkonq-common libkonq5-dev libkonq5-templates libkonq5abi1
  libkonqsidebarplugin4a libkontactinterface4 libkparts4 libkpimidentities4
  libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkresources4
  libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksignalplotter4
  libktexteditor4 libktnef4 libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 liblsofui4
  libmailtransport4 libmicroblog4 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4
  libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasma3 libplasmagenericshell4
  libprocesscore4abi1 libprocessui4a libqgpgme1 libsolid4 libsolidcontrol4abi2
  libsolidcontrolifaces4abi2 libsyndication4 libthreadweaver4 libweather-ion6
  oxygen-icon-theme plasma-containments-addons plasma-dataengines-addons
  plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-runners-addons
  plasma-scriptengine-googlegadgets plasma-scriptengine-javascript
  plasma-scriptengine-python plasma-scriptengine-ruby plasma-scriptengine-webkit
  plasma-scriptengines plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-folderview
  plasma-widget-lancelot plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace
  systemsettings
137 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 8 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 186 MB of archives.
After this operation, 22.0 MB of additional disk space will be used.
That looks right, although I'm troubled by the removal of kscreensaver. Does this look right to the smarter folks among us?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
craigevil

Re: Adding KDE 4.8 to LMDE Testing, apt-get question

Post by craigevil »

apt-get -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade

was how I did it, then I used Synaptic to upgrade to the versions in Debian Experimental.

No issues so far.

$ apt-cache policy kscreensaver
kscreensaver:
Installed: 4:4.7.4-2
Candidate: 4:4.7.4-2
Version table:
*** 4:4.7.4-2 0
500 http://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/debian/ unstable/main i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

wasn't removed here.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks, Craig. I was worried about the syntax on that apt-get. They give aptitude instructions but I couldn't tell how I should word it for apt-get. As soon as I finish snagging a Tiny Desk Concert podcast I'll fire up the upgrade. I owe you another round. 8)
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Hmm. I get that syntax wasn't right after all.

~$ sudo apt-get -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
E: The value 'experimental-snapshots' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a release is not available in the sources
Could I need an equals sign after -t? That would leave me using

and that seemed to work when I tried it the other day.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Since I am on Debian and not LMDE I do not use a APT Preferences file.

so apt-get -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade worked for me, using = is most likely correct.

Or you could just use Synaptic and mark everything in the qt-kde repo for upgrade. Only about 5 or 6 packages to mark which will then cause everything else to upgrade. Which is what I did earlier to upgrade most of kde to 4.8.3-2

$ apt-cache policy systemsettings
systemsettings:
Installed: 4:4.8.3-2
Candidate: 4:4.8.3-2
Version table:
*** 4:4.8.3-2 0
1 http://ftp-mirror.internap.com/pub/debian/ experimental/main i386 Packages
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Thanks again Craig. I just pulled the trigger on the upgrade, and I hope the wifi at Starbucks doesn't take an hour to download everything. :D

ETA: Woops! It might help if I enabled the qt-kde repos before I tried to dist-upgrade to them. Once I did trhe line without the "=" worked just fine. D'oh!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Crap. I lost kde-workspace-bin and kscreensaver and now I can't even log into KDE. HELP!
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I was able to snag kde-workspace-bin and libpng15-15 from kde-qt and Debian web pages and I'm back on KDE. It's not a perfect solution but it will work for today, especially since I'm out of time for now. And of course I bumped by buggy power supply cable and lost my electricity but I can deal with that later. Thanks for the assists!
OolonColluphid

Post by OolonColluphid »

BostonPeng wrote: I usually install with apt-get and I know it's a bad idea to mix apt-get and aptitude on the same system.

:? I had never heard that, what is the reasoning behind that statement? I'm thinking it may casue some difficulty to system administrators in mid to large networks but wouldn't figure it would make much, if any, of a difference to most desktop users.
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I can't recall who I heard it from or the exact reasoning of the statement but I think it has to do with the fact that apt and aptitude do things differently enough that you could cause some confusion between the two. I did do a quick Duck search on the matter and found this on Linux Questions:
Another note,make sure if you use aptitude you stick with aptitude.Useing another manager to remove a pakage will just make aptitude install it automatically next time.
I also found this page on Superuser.com that is saying that there were problems in the past but things have changed enough that it doesn't make that much difference.

I did some more searching to see if I could find a more recognizable authority on the issue and found a thread on the Debian Forums that said you can move from apt to aptitude but the first command you should run in aptitude is

# aptitude keep-all
I guess I need to update my mental docs, but I'd still prefer to play it safe and stick with apt, especially with moving to both testing and experimental. I was without a computer for a while when I broke my laptop's LCD and I'd rather stick with things I know have less risk of borking my poor laptop. Tux knows I ask so much of poor Katia (my laptop) as it is. :lol:
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

ok, I'm in the same boat. I ran sudo apt-get for the commands and now sudo apt-get -t=experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade wants to remove most of kde

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  akonadiconsole akregator amor ark blinken blogilo bomber bovo cantor cantor-backend-kalgebra cervisia
  cvsservice dolphin dragonplayer filelight gdebi-kde granatier gwenview jovie juk kaccessible kaddressbook
  kajongg kalarm kalgebra kalgebra-common kalzium kanagram kapman kapptemplate kate katepart katomic kbattleship
  kblackbox kblocks kbounce kbreakout kbruch kcachegrind kcalc kcharselect kcolorchooser kde-baseapps
  kde-baseapps-bin kde-config-touchpad kde-full kde-plasma-desktop kde-plasma-netbook kde-runtime kde-standard
  kde-style-oxygen kde-window-manager kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin kde-workspace-dev kdeaccessibility
  kdeadmin kdeartwork kdebase-runtime kdebase-workspace-dev kdeedu kdegames kdegraphics kdelibs5-dev
  kdelibs5-plugins kdemultimedia kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-groupware
  kdepim-kresources kdepim-runtime kdepim-strigi-plugins kdepim-wizards kdeplasma-addons kdesdk
  kdesdk-dolphin-plugins kdesdk-kio-plugins kdesdk-misc kdesudo kdetoys kdeutils kdewebdev kdf kdiamond kdm
  kfilereplace kfind kfourinline kgeography kget kgoldrunner kgpg khangman khelpcenter4 kig kigo killbots
  kimagemapeditor kinfocenter kiriki kiten kjots kjumpingcube kleopatra klettres klickety klines klinkstatus
  klipper kmag kmahjongg kmail kmenuedit kmines kmix kmousetool kmouth kmplot kmtrace knetwalk knode knotes kolf
  kollision kolourpaint4 kommander kompare konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konquest konsole
  konsolekalendar kontact kopete korganizer kpartloader kpat kppp krdc kremotecontrol krename kreversi krfb
  kruler krusader kscd kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers kshisen ksirk ksnapshot kspaceduel ksquares kstars
  ksudoku ksysguard ksystemlog kteatime ktimer ktimetracker ktouch ktron ktuberling kturtle kubrick kuiviewer
  kuser kwalletmanager kwordquiz kwrite libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kcal4 libkabc4 libkastencontrollers4
  libkateinterfaces4 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkblog4 libkcal4 libkde3support4 libkdepim4 libkdewebkit5
  libkhtml5 libkleo4 libkmediaplayer4 libkonq5abi1 libkonqsidebarplugin4a libkontactinterface4 libkopete4
  libkparts4 libkpgp4 libkpimidentities4 libkprintutils4 libkrossui4 libktexteditor4 libktnef4 libkutils4
  libkworkspace4 libmessagelist4 libplasma3 libplasmaclock4abi2 libplasmagenericshell4 libsmokekdecore4-3
  libsmokekdeui4-3 libsmokekfile3 libsmokekhtml3 libsmokekio3 libsmokeknewstuff2-3 libsmokeknewstuff3-3
  libsmokekparts3 libsmokektexteditor3 libsmokekutils3 libsmokeplasma3 libtaskmanager4abi2 libweather-ion6
  lokalize lskat marble okteta okular palapeli parley plasma-containments-addons plasma-dataengines-addons
  plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-netbook plasma-runners-addons
  plasma-scriptengine-googlegadgets plasma-scriptengine-javascript plasma-scriptengine-python
  plasma-scriptengine-ruby plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba plasma-scriptengine-webkit plasma-scriptengines
  plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widget-lancelot plasma-widget-networkmanagement
  plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace polkit-kde-1 python-kde4 rocs ruby-kde4 ruby-plasma smb4k step
  svgpart sweeper system-config-printer-kde systemsettings umbrello
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  mate-notification-daemon
The following packages have been kept back:
  freespacenotifier kde-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdelibs-bin kdepimlibs-kio-plugins kdoctools libakonadi-kde4
  libakonadi-kmime4 libkcalcore4 libkcalutils4 libkcmutils4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecorations4 libkdecore5
  libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkholidays4 libkidletime4 libkimap4 libkimproxy4
  libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkldap4 libkmime4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4
  libkntlm4 libkonq-common libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkpty4 libkresources4 libkrosscore4 libkscreensaver5
  libksgrd4 libksignalplotter4 libkunitconversion4 libkxmlrpcclient4 liblsofui4 libmailtransport4 libmicroblog4
  libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libprocesscore4abi1 libprocessui4a libsolid4
  libsolidcontrol4abi2 libsyndication4 libthreadweaver4
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kate-data kde-baseapps-data kde-runtime-data kde-wallpapers kde-wallpapers-default kde-workspace-data
  kdelibs5-data ksysguardd libakonadi-kabc4 libgpgme++2 libkephal4abi1 libkonq5-templates
  libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libqgpgme1 libsolidcontrolifaces4abi2 oxygen-icon-theme
16 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 256 to remove and 54 not upgraded.
Need to get 135 MB of archives.
After this operation, 527 MB disk space will be freed.
I'm a fair noob with all of this. Now I'm scared to reboot lest my system be broken
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Once I confirmed the syntax of the upgrade command my dist-upgrade to KDE 4.8.3 went without much problems other than having to manually snag those two packages. I was actually able to perform the upgrade without such a long removal list. I'm not sure how much I can help but I'll see what i can do. What's in your sources.list? That will probably help the smarter folks track down your issue as well.
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

My sources.list file

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free

BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

@jazzcat:
You're looking at different repos than I used so rather than possibly giving you bad advice I'll see if Craig or one of the other smarter folks can advise you. When I moved to testing I started using the Debian testing rather than the Mint testing so it's likely to give you different results than I had. And my upgrade was long enough ago that I honestly don't recall what got me which responses other than what I pasted here. Hopefully Craig, or even Gene or ZeroZero, will look at the thread and help out.
jazzcat

Post by jazzcat »

Thank you for your response. I wasn't sure about the repos. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Return to “LMDE Archive”