Old Adobe Flash Player

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LMNewb

Old Adobe Flash Player

Post by LMNewb »

Hi All,

I just updated to the latest 64-bit LMDE from 32-bit LM 10. Works flawlessly! Great job Clem and team!

However, I noticed that LMDE respin shipped with Adobe Flash 11.0, rather than 11.2 It's particularly important to keep Flash Player up-to-date, as it has historically been a source of vulnerability. When can we expect an update? Do we have to add an experimental repository to get the update?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Old Adobe Flash Player

Post by mank_in »

You can try Flash-aid add-on. See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... flash-aid/
Last time i am using it, it's have option to update flash for mozilla and google-chrome.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

No need for Flash-aid which was made for Ubuntu.

as root run:

Code: Select all

update-flashplugin-nonfree --install
FlashPlayer - Debian Wiki - http://wiki.debian.org/FlashPlayer
äxl

Post by äxl »

flashplugin-nonfree is removing mint-meta-codecs and mint-flashplugin. I guess it's not that bad but it's not updating automatically, is it?
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

what about just installing the flash file manually in to its directory. although i forgot what it is for chrome :?
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

CapitalG wrote:what about just installing the flash file manually in to its directory. although i forgot what it is for chrome :?
Chrome has flash built in.

Personally I have never messed with flashplugin-nonfree, I have always used flashplayer-mozilla from the debian-multimedia.org repo. Rather than being a script that downloads flash from Adobe, the dmm package actually installs flash.

$ apt-cache policy flashplayer-mozilla
flashplayer-mozilla:
Installed: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Candidate: 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1
Version table:
*** 3:11.2.202.235-dmo1 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ unstable/non-free i386 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Myself

Post by Myself »

I have been forced due to nasty bug in 18.xxx.Chrome 64bit to install version 19beta and on going to YouTube I get asked to update to latest version of Flash. If I allow old version of Chrome Flash to play on a once off basis CPUs run at 100% and Chrome Locks-up just like version constantly did when left sitting for a few minutes with only a DuckDuckGo page open.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

craigevil wrote:
CapitalG wrote:what about just installing the flash file manually in to its directory. although i forgot what it is for chrome :?
Chrome has flash built in.
not in the 64 version.
äxl

Post by äxl »

CapitalG wrote:what about just installing the flash file manually in to its directory.
For Chromium you should copy libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins

Installing flashplugin-nonfree has no side effects for me so far. Plus it's in linuxmint.com/latest and you get the newest version (File: libflashplayer.so Version: Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202).
Though I don't know what's so bad about Flash-Aid. It shows exactly what it does and every other browser (besides Chrom*) relies on the plugin.

- - - - -
EDIT: For whoever had the problem with blue video output - You don't have to deactivate hardware acceleration. When using Nvidia drivers and VDPAU you should locate libflashplayer.so and run the following command in its directory:

Code: Select all

sudo perl -pi.bak -e 's/libvdpau/lixvdpau/g' libflashplayer.so
Restart browser should finalize it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/967091 and ubuntuusers.de (CC)
Last edited by äxl on Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CapitalG

Post by CapitalG »

thanks for the tip on the blue output. i had never seen that before and was wondering if something was wrong with my lcd :lol: adobe sucks! :x wish we could get away from flash, but too many sites use it.
äxl

Post by äxl »

CapitalG wrote:thanks for the tip on the blue output.
There's another solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... comments/9
wish we could get away from flash, but too many sites use it.
HTML5 can already show videos without plugins. But you're right; standardization is a long process.
fgiusti

Post by fgiusti »

I guess the linux mint way would be to wait for the update of mint-flashplugin-11.

What's the linux mint way to notify the package maintainer about that? Anyone knows where the source code is? I tried to find it without luck, if my technical knownledge is enough I would like to contribute with the update.

$ sudo apt-cache show mint-flashplugin-11
Package: mint-flashplugin-11
Version: 11.0.d1.98
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Clement Lefebvre <root@linuxmint.com>
jcd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jcd »

Bump!

It really is about time to update flash player or not provide it through an unmaintained package at all...

The adobe-flashplugin package, for example, seems to provide a more recent version, and would probably be more suitable to be installed by default.
newkansan

Post by newkansan »

I agree. I don't like having to choose between Mint and security. Last Mint release it was an old version of Java that was included and not being updated, now that they've fixed that we're left with an old version of Flash, the other cross-platform, historically most-attacked vector (beside Java). Mint team, we'd appreciate an update on this. Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”