Flash out of date, Firefox blocking it

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cb474

Flash out of date, Firefox blocking it

Post by cb474 »

Firefox is blocking flash player, because it is out of date. There is a new version for Linux of the flashplayer, 11.2.202.425, but the latest version in the LMDE repos is 11.2.202.424.

Is there a way to get the newer version of flashplayer for LMDE? Or is it okay to continue using 11.2.202.424?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Flash out of date, Firefox blocking it

Post by xenopeek »

Passed it on to the developers; they need to update mint-flashplugin-11 to the newer version.

Edit: to be clear, some websites will complain about Adobe Flash 11.x--regardless of what version exactly of that release you have installed. Some websites won't work with Adobe Flash 11.x. Adobe only supports version 11.x of Flash on Linux. If some website needs a newer release of Flash than what Adobe supports on Linux, you could install Google Chrome. That has Adobe Flash 16.x, supported by Google on Linux.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Flash has been updated to 11.2.202.425. Should be available to you through Update Manager shortly.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

xenopeek wrote:Passed it on to the developers; they need to update mint-flashplugin-11 to the newer version.

Edit: to be clear, some websites will complain about Adobe Flash 11.x--regardless of what version exactly of that release you have installed. Some websites won't work with Adobe Flash 11.x. Adobe only supports version 11.x of Flash on Linux. If some website needs a newer release of Flash than what Adobe supports on Linux, you could install Google Chrome. That has Adobe Flash 16.x, supported by Google on Linux.
Thanks for the help and passing it on. I appreciate it.

Yes, I know websites complain about Flash. But this was Firefox disabling it on all sites, because it's out of date. Perhaps a new Firefox feature?
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

I'm finding that websites are flagging v.11.2.202.425 as "vulnerable" and in need of updating, whereas they didn't do that with v11.2.202.424. So the update has created a problem which wasn't there before.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Brian49 wrote:I'm finding that websites are flagging v.11.2.202.425 as "vulnerable" and in need of updating, whereas they didn't do that with v11.2.202.424. So the update has created a problem which wasn't there before.
Hmm, I have yet to get that message. I was getting it the other way around, that I needed to update to .425.

Can you provide an example website?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The Chrome browser has a much newer version of Flash built into it. I use Firefox most of the time, but I use Chrome now and then when I come across a site that doesn't like the old version of Flash. You can also use pipelight to install the Windows version of Flash.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

cb474 wrote:Can you provide an example website?
http://www.speedtest.net/

also YouTube, and BBC iPlayer.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's now come through, on the updater,
but - had already manually updated these PCs,
using the latest flash file - from adobe.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Brian49 wrote:
cb474 wrote:Can you provide an example website?
http://www.speedtest.net/

also YouTube, and BBC iPlayer.
I'm not getting a warning on those sites.
cb474

Post by cb474 »

Firefox is blocking flash again, warning that it's out of date and vulnerable. This is obviously due to the zero day exploits in flash revealed last week and for which there have been a couple flash updates over the weekend.
mike77

Post by mike77 »

Mint Debian seems to be slow on providing flash updates. On Mint 17 it arrived several days earlier. Meanwhile, you can always download the latest version from adobe and copy the file

libflashplayer.so

to the flash plugin location (.usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/)

To do that, you need to open your file manager as root. (If you want to make absolute sure nothing goes wrong - though it won't - you can rename the current libflashplayer.so to something like libeflashplayer.so-old to keep it until you've made sure everything works as it should. And it will :-))

Restart firefox and check under addons>plugins that the new version is installed.
Joe Collins

Post by Joe Collins »

Just wanted to add for anyone else having this problem, as I just fixed it myself:

Use Fresh Player instead. It allows you to use Pepper Flash (which is bundled with Chrome) for Firefox too.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Edit: Adobe Flash 11.2.202.491 has just been released and with that Firefox will no longer give you warnings (till the next vulnerability sees light of day). For Linux Mint 13 and 17.x, and for LMDE 1 and 2, just use Update Manager to upgrade it.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

For LMDE1 I doubt that installing flashplayer-mozilla will help. The repo are frozen and this package is not up-to-date. Right?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You are correct killer de bug; my bad. LMDE 1 users will have to wait for mint-flashplugin-11 update (edit: it has been updated on both LMDE 1 and LMDE 2).
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Some can also try to install directly the new flashplayer-mozilla package from the deb-multimedia repo: the .deb is available here: http://www.deb-multimedia.org/pool/non- ... 3_i386.deb

Otherwise, the repo to add in your sources.list file is:

Code: Select all

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie main non-free
Warning: please be careful with possible dependencies errors!

Return to “LMDE Archive”