davedarkblade

Re: building Cinnamon (sid)

Post by davedarkblade »

iLobster wrote:Both
Oh! What a good landing spot!
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

and neither... Tracking Sid, I never bothered to use "incoming" or "latest" .. this shows up in "main"

my repo in /etc/apt/sources/list

Code: Select all

#Linux Mint Repository
deb http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/linuxmint-packages/ debian main upstream import romeo backport
which raises an interesting question .. do I need to update my sources.list to include "incoming" or "latest" ?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

GS, no need, the mint repo is the same regardless of the release you are tracking.
GeneC wrote: As expected the debian fontconfig, and libcairo packages broke my fonts (only in Chrome this time, though)? So I am back to a 'stock' LMDE_SID (if that is possible) :shock:
Clem is saving your fonts, my friend :D
Kassad

Post by Kassad »

I report a successful install of Cinnamon on LMDE.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide detailed instructions due to the rather tedious enterprise. Two things I am sure about, though.
One is that you should install the new gnome-shell 3.2.2.1 using the debian wheezy main repository.
Secondly, once you have the new shell working then use the following archive provided by mocturtl on page 9 of this thread:
mockturtl wrote:If anybody's feeling adventurous
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8181658/cinnamu ... ezy.tar.gz
md5: 5ac21ed145c75d7c5fb7b46874ea8bc5
Find the right order to have all of the packages installed.
Restart and choose Cinnamon.
It is a dream beauty.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Kassad wrote:I report a successful install of Cinnamon on LMDE.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide detailed instructions due to the rather tedious enterprise. Two things I am sure about, though.
One is that you should install the new gnome-shell 3.2.2.1 using the debian wheezy main repository.
Secondly, once you have the new shell working then use the following archive provided by mocturtl on page 9 of this thread:
mockturtl wrote:If anybody's feeling adventurous
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8181658/cinnamu ... ezy.tar.gz
md5: 5ac21ed145c75d7c5fb7b46874ea8bc5
Find the right order to have all of the packages installed.
Restart and choose Cinnamon.
It is a dream beauty.
That's great news, Kassad. Welcome to the forums.

I'll update that post with new snapshots as bugs are fixed and features added.
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

zerozero wrote:
stz*j wrote:Today's dist-upgrade broke my cinnamon :lol: gnome-shell 3.2 has entered testing!
same :lol: but now the latest git compiles :D :D

Y'know, I'm really starting to enjoy Cinnamon. Recompiled my debs easily enough and now things look so much more configurable :)

@mockturtl, many thanks for the link to those extensions a little way back there. didn't expect those (favourite extensions of mine in gnome-shell) to be ported so soon! Expecting more spices to come up in the new website http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/ :D Meanwhile, another screenshot, with theme AnTaRtIkA by rvc and showing the system-monitor extension ;) Really is freezing in Antarctica here, thermal showing -273.15? :lol:
cin shot 2.png
Wonder what else is possible, things are certainly becoming more and more interesting .
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

Some troubles with installing Cinnamon to LMDE amd64 (sorry for cyrillic 8) )

cinnamon :
Зависит: libecal1.2-10 (>= 3.2.2) но он не может быть установлен (looks like mistake in dependence -- there is libecal-1.2-10 in system (with "-" in a middle))
Зависит: libedataserver1.2-15 (>= 3.2.2) но он не может быть установлен (same as upper -- there is libedataserver-1.2.-15 installed)
Зависит: libgjs0c (>= 1.29.18) но он не может быть установлен (there is no such file in debian, but there is one in Ubuntu)
Зависит: libpulse-mainloop-glib0 (>= 1:0.99.1) но 1.0-4 будет установлен (looks like Ubuntu dependence, should take off "1:" before 0.99)
Зависит: libpulse0 (>= 1:0.99.1) но 1.0-4 будет установлен (same as upper)

Easy to correct. Maybe someone do?
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

iLobster wrote:Some troubles with installing Cinnamon to LMDE amd64 (sorry for cyrillic 8) )

cinnamon :
Зависит: libecal1.2-10 (>= 3.2.2) но он не может быть установлен (looks like mistake in dependence -- there is libecal-1.2-10 in system (with "-" in a middle))
Зависит: libedataserver1.2-15 (>= 3.2.2) но он не может быть установлен (same as upper -- there is libedataserver-1.2.-15 installed)
Зависит: libgjs0c (>= 1.29.18) но он не может быть установлен (there is no such file in debian, but there is one in Ubuntu)
Зависит: libpulse-mainloop-glib0 (>= 1:0.99.1) но 1.0-4 будет установлен (looks like Ubuntu dependence, should take off "1:" before 0.99)
Зависит: libpulse0 (>= 1:0.99.1) но 1.0-4 будет установлен (same as upper)

Easy to correct. Maybe someone do?
Dobre :)

We can't use apt, yet, to get cinnamon from the LMDE repo. (I agree, those look like Ubuntu packages.) We have to compile it ourselves.

Maybe someone can post updated .deb files for amd64?
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

mockturtl wrote:Dobre :)
We can't use apt, yet, to get cinnamon from the LMDE repo. (I agree, those look like Ubuntu packages.) We have to compile it ourselves.
Maybe someone can post updated .deb files for amd64?
What a noob I am! I have read this topic again from the beginning -- I'm trying to develop a bicycle ))) You guys fight the same enemy from the last year's December! :lol:
Well, I will sit and wait for corrected packages, then. Hope it won't happen in april... :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

iLobster, these are amd64 20120131-snapshot you can give'en a try (no warranties)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

zerozero wrote:iLobster, these are amd64 20120131-snapshot you can give'en a try (no warranties)
No warranty needed. :P
Thanks 'zz'. they worked fine, as is.
I wondered if I would have problems, as I am working from a fully updated LMDE-SID. I believe you are from 'testing'?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now I just need to play with it some.

Question?
I see Cinnamon 1.2 now upgradeable from synaptic. Will this upgrade work, or break things. (I suspect break things) :?:
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

Finally got Cinnamon running.
Used the .deb file.
It said the package was in Synaptic but it won't install from there (broken package.)
Told it to install from the .deb it worked.
That was fun.
I wonder what will break it next.
LMDE forever!!!!!!!
Now I need some frosting on my Muffin.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sweet :D Gene :lol:

1- yeahh they were compiled in testing, g00d to see that they work as-is in sid 8)
2- for me cinnamon 1.2 (from the mint repo) appears as upgradeable but held back and should stay like that :P because even if installs is a feature-downgrade.
edit: this is what i get when i D-U

Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  cinnamon
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Hi Dan,
i see you did it as well :lol: 8)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Debian must have worked some on their font configs. All the Mint libcairo(ubuntu) and fontconfig files got written over, but most everywhere the fonts look the same as before, very good. That is except for in Chrome/Chromium. Fine in Firefox (where they looked crappy before.) :?: :lol: Nothing wrong with Firefox, just got to get use to it.

Thanks for those .debs. :wink:
christopherccg

Post by christopherccg »

zerozero

Post by zerozero »

that's an ubuntu pkg.
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

zerozero wrote:iLobster, these are amd64 20120131-snapshot you can give'en a try (no warranties)
Thanks a lot! Only cinnamon package was needed. Cinnamon appears in DE box, but don't work as far as original Gnome shell :( Look like upgrade from "Latest" to "Debian Testing" was unsucessful :?
Both Cinnamon and Shell show me screen with "Oops, something gone wrong, and it did not recovered" on it and then go to logon screen. Only Classic gnome works. Is there any special hardware requirements for Shell/Cinnamon? Maybe the main problem Radeon HD3200 -- I use "Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780".

UPD: I switched to fglrx -- no effect :(
stz*j

Post by stz*j »

@iLobster, try posting the output of

cinnamon --replace
when running from gnome-fallback, that might help :) On a side note, if you're running compiz, turn it off from the startup applications preferences.
iLobster

Post by iLobster »

stz*j wrote:@iLobster, try posting the output of

cinnamon --replace
when running from gnome-fallback, that might help :) On a side note, if you're running compiz, turn it off from the startup applications preferences.
Cinnamon started from direct command (works quite slow, but it doesnt matter for now), thanks. Something wrong with dropboxes -- text corrupted and unreadable.
And yes, compiz is running (for Cairo-dock).
There is no session manager icon anymore. Do you know another way to get of compiz from startup?

UPD: Found it myself: gnome-session-properties.
Switched Compiz and Cairo-dock off -- Cinnamon started from logon.
There is not only dropboxes acting strange, windows too (their space inside is like... dont know how to explain... blurred?).
GregE

Post by GregE »

iLobster wrote:
stz*j wrote:@iLobster, try posting the output of

cinnamon --replace
Cinnamon started from direct command (works quite slow, but it doesnt matter for now), thanks. Something wrong with dropboxes -- text corrupted and unreadable.
And yes, compiz is running (for Cairo-dock).
There is no session manager icon anymore. Do you know another way to get of compiz from startup?

UPD: Found it myself: gnome-session-properties.
Switched Compiz and Cairo-dock off -- Cinnamon started from logon.
There is not only dropboxes acting strange, windows too (their space inside is like... dont know how to explain... blurred?).
The drop box issue is inherited from Gnome. If you are using AMD graphics there is not much that can be done but to wait and wait. I have two computers and the one with AMD graphics is doing it now with the FOSS driver, when before it was only when I loaded fglrx. Intel or Nvidia users should have no problem.

The Cinnamon packages are working well on my i3 Itel graphics machine. Thanks ZZ. My preference is still Gnome-Shell with extensions but I will still give Cinnamon a good test.

EDIT: I have been running Gallium again and have no problems. I think the glitch I had was due to a partially installed fglrx, which I had to remove. Wait a month and try fglrx again, surely ATI will fix it eventually.
Last edited by GregE on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LMDE Archive”