[SOLVED] LMDE install briefly turns on webcam. Why?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
fschaap

[SOLVED] LMDE install briefly turns on webcam. Why?

Post by fschaap »

I'm installing LMDE on an Acer C720 chromebook.

When I load the live USB desktop and click the "Install Linux Mint" icon, the webcam light briefly comes on.

What's this about?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leejosepho

Re: LMDE install briefly turns on webcam. Why?

Post by leejosepho »

...that's definitely caused by the account details module. It initializes the webcam if it finds one.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2386
fschaap

Re: LMDE install briefly turns on webcam. Why?

Post by fschaap »

Thanks! I see I should have searched for Cinnamon in combination with webcam, not Linux Mint.
leejosepho

Re: [SOLVED] LMDE install briefly turns on webcam. Why?

Post by leejosepho »

I found that by searching for "Linux Mint camera" since I have no idea how to use mine!
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Well, you can install Cheese from the repositories to check if the camera works at all :-)
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

fschaap wrote:I'm installing LMDE on an Acer C720 chromebook.

When I load the live USB desktop and click the "Install Linux Mint" icon, the webcam light briefly comes on.

What's this about?
BTW, how is LMDE on the C720?
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

I've been meaning to write an install guide, but haven't gotten around to it.

LMDE on the C720 simply runs and runs great. I needed to upgrade the kernel to get the kernel modules for the touchpad to run, but other than that everything works out of the box. Other than that, uneventful :-)
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

fschaap wrote:I've been meaning to write an install guide, but haven't gotten around to it.

LMDE on the C720 simply runs and runs great. I needed to upgrade the kernel to get the kernel modules for the touchpad to run, but other than that everything works out of the box. Other than that, uneventful :-)
If you do write an install guide, I will be patient. If not -- just in case I go ahead with my desire to get a C720 myself -- what do you do in order to 'upgrade the kernel'? An 'apt' command? No other hocus-pocus?
fschaap

Post by fschaap »

Busy! Yep, I just added Debian Jessie repo and apt-getted the 3.13 kernel.
lintel
Level 1
Level 1

Maybe we can write the install-guide together?

Post by lintel »

fschaap wrote:Busy! Yep, I just added Debian Jessie repo and apt-getted the 3.13 kernel.
Got a C720-2420 last week :)
If you could assist we with the LMDE installation, I would write a detailed install guide afterwards for the forum.

1. Could you paste the terminal-commands please? I didn't use Debian so far.
2. Did you also set-up legacy boot as default -- inclusive opening the box and removing/refixing the screw?
3. Any further issues?

Thank you in advance!
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

This thread is soon to be even more relevant to me -- I am awaiting the delivery in a few weeks of a used Acer C720, with full plans to re-partition (using ChrUbuntu script?) and to install LMDE. I was hoping that this thread would have been updated in the meantime, but if not I'll just have to try my best :)

From a lot of Google searches, the first thing that confuses me is why people do not mention *how* they have re-partitioned their drives when installing non-Ubuntu distros. One guy said that 'gparted' seems to work, but leaves Chrome in an unbootable state. The 'ChrUbuntu' install script looks like it will work to do the re-partitioning, and uses a bunch of 'cgpt' to work its magic -- though I would prefer to understand/do this myself rather than relying on a script. Another reason for this is that what I would actually like to do is to make *two* new partitions i.e. one for LMDE, and one for Android-X86.

Any thoughts on this?

Return to “LMDE Archive”