We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gerd50

Re: We need more testers to the new incoming repo (how-to)

Post by Gerd50 »

Thank's for this thread @zerozero. Now i understand what's going on i hope :)

At first i thought, an update cycle all four weeks, not good for me. In front of my door i have a middleage copper cable, max
dl 47 kb/s. Till now i updated about all two weeks. Updates were 130 to 180 Mb large. Downloading the packages takes about
1,5 to 2 hours. Meanwhile i'm walking the dog, working the garden, sth like that. Updating all four weeks means it will take
3 to 4 hours. That's too long until the next cup of coffee :roll:

I really would like to use the new MU tool after i deleted the old one month ago. Using the 'incoming repo' means i can update
in the cycle i'm used in, dayly, hourly or what else i want but won't have save as possible updates, right?
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

I made the jump to LMDE today, after having a few issues with LM11 and Ubuntu Natty. I thought I might as well dive straight into the Incoming repo seeing as I haven't exactly got much to break!
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I'm on LMDE now . . . installed to a new partition on my notebook/laptop.

Haven't even done the initial updates yet ... first, want to add the new LMDE/Debian - 'incoming' repros

/me goes into guinea-pig mode :lol:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Thanks zero
Glad to see this come through.
Just switched the source list over updated and now gona reboot to see what happens :lol:
Hopefully brb.
Sam
Aha it worked so far, 140 updates all went well through the mint update instead of through the terminal.
I like this so far and the idea of only doing an update once a month or so is a lot better then checking breakages before updating and crossing fingers :lol:
So far on all 5 computers I got LMDE on I have never ran into any issues that could not be fixed easily.
If this works good I'll switch all 5 over to this instead, I'll test it till the end of July first though on mine.
I'll keep my eye on this post in case you need anything done and reported, so far no issues :D
Last edited by samriggs on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluheron1

Post by bluheron1 »

Just switched over to the incoming repo. System was already up to date. so I can't update anything yet. I'll be waiting for the next update package.
Mogster

Post by Mogster »

Well, I've already learnt one lesson. Read the update pack notes before jumping the gun! Now I'm stuck with an ugly terminal and calculator for a while, but hey ho. It does at least show that the new update manager is going to be incredibly useful.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

wayne128 wrote:finally, after more than 3 hours
fully updated

remove kexec-tools

reboot to new kernel
wayne@lmde32mu ~ $ uname -r
2.6.39-2-686-pae
quick test:
1 Problem on media playing: No sound,
video fast forward on Mplayer
this is first time with such sound and ff video out of the box.
2. vlc video OK, no sound, oop!!

continue...
3. youtube video, no sound, video played super fast forward.

got to try get rid of pulse audio.
follow mads tutorial
How To: Completely remove PulseAudio & replace it with ALSA
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60485

now sound is back. many thanks to mads on tutorial :mrgreen:
youtube can play video properly
default media player can play video normally at normal speed
vlc works too.
Gnome player showed error,, Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

@zerozero
wayne, wish you the best luck :)
atm a fresh LMDE install is basically broken, see here
haha :lol: got it working now after got rid of pulse audio plus your best luck wish :lol:

this comp has ATI and realtek giga NIC

Code: Select all

wayne@lmde32mu ~ $ lspci | grep ati
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
wayne@lmde32mu ~ $ lspci | grep Ethernet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
lleiria
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lleiria »

Hello,
I've been using LMDE for more than 6 months know and loving it :D
I have it on my desktop, on my wife's laptop and on the work machine.
So I volunteer to be a guineapig on my desktop; I'm already in incoming repo, updated with the new mint update and everything seemed fine - but I also use the liquorix kernel
I'll probably keep testing on work and switch to latest repo on my wife's laptop.
Do you think this is wise?
Greetings
Luis Leiria
Lisbon - Portugal
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

lleiria wrote:Hello,
I've been using LMDE for more than 6 months know and loving it :D
I have it on my desktop, on my wife's laptop and on the work machine.
So I volunteer to be a guineapig on my desktop; I'm already in incoming repo, updated with the new mint update and everything seemed fine - but I also use the liquorix kernel
I'll probably keep testing on work and switch to latest repo on my wife's laptop.
Do you think this is wise?
Greetings
Luis Leiria
Lisbon - Portugal

If you have several computers running LMDE, then you should clone at least one working installation.
You can use clonezilla, or for me use lazy method to copy by gparted and paste on unallocated space.

when you are playing with new incoming, do expect breakage.
if you cannot repair the breakage, at least you can take from old clone and copy back to the comp and get it work again within short time.
enigma

Post by enigma »

I will also volunteer but a question first.

This/These new repositories being populated by LInux Mint people will they include KDE updates?

I am strictly a KDE user. My LMDE has an injection of KDE-full and a few hundred more packages.

My suspicion is that the updated apps will not be KDE.

Anyone to correct my views?

Thanks
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

enigma wrote:I will also volunteer but a question first.

This/These new repositories being populated by LInux Mint people will they include KDE updates?

I am strictly a KDE user. My LMDE has an injection of KDE-full and a few hundred more packages.

My suspicion is that the updated apps will not be KDE.

Anyone to correct my views?

Thanks

I do not run kde, so just open my synaptic to check.
all kde packages are in the repos. version 4:4.6.4-1
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Darn it! I just settled on #! as my primary OS because: 1) I really like it and 2) I was tired of downloading updates all of the time with the chance that things might break. With #!, I just kept the repos at Stable and now have fewer updates and no breakages. It's not that I don't like fixing things (because that's how you learn). It's that I simply don't have time for it.

With this new development in LMDE, it would almost be worth it to give it a spin with the new repo to see how well it works. I really thought that my distrohoppin' days were over. I guess I should never say never.

mikhou
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

Although I'm joining the party a little late to save my gtk-prettiness, I set up the new updater. I love all the warnings it gives, once I saw those, I had to have it.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

While playing with firefox setting, I normally would make some changes, such as untick Bookmark Toolbar, so that I gain some vertical space.

What happen was the untick would remove Bookmark toolbar, however it does not survive reboot .

SO back to check the MU update pack info and saw the one on firefox.

Tried it and did

rm -rf ~/.mozilla/firefox
as suggested. and now it works after closing firefox and reopen.

So this is the really good thing about new MU :) .
all those issues are listed and available for user to refer to and appropriate action can be taken.

One inconvenience is, I could not 'copy the code from MU's Update Pack Info' and paste into the terminal so typo error can be common :mrgreen:
Has anyone found a way to copy those instruction and paste to terminal?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

sound a little crazy.
with updated LMDE32-MU from the comp with ATI graphic, I copy the partition, paste to another comp, which is amd with nVidia graphic card.
nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

This comp has totally poor, worst kind of out-of-the-box graphic when LMDE was installed back in January, that time the default nouveau driver has horrible font rendering. so I did not keep it for too long, don't want to get poorer eyesight.

This time, the pleasant surprise is the nouveau experiment driver is working well with max monitor resolution of 1440x900.

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)
1:0.0.16+git20110411+8378443-1+b1

sound like this nouveau had some great improvement. :mrgreen:
will play for longer time to see..

meanswhile, nVidia was not installed by default.. something to just KIV.

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

wayne128 wrote:One inconvenience is, I could not 'copy the code from MU's Update Pack Info' and paste into the terminal
Actually you can, but not using Copy/Paste or Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. Just use the mouse to select the bit you want in the Update Pack Info window and drag/drop the selection to the terminal window. Works like a charm here.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

In terminal, it's Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

grizzler wrote:
wayne128 wrote:One inconvenience is, I could not 'copy the code from MU's Update Pack Info' and paste into the terminal
Actually you can, but not using Copy/Paste or Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V. Just use the mouse to select the bit you want in the Update Pack Info window and drag/drop the selection to the terminal window. Works like a charm here.

thanks grizzler, it works..
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

AlbertP wrote:In terminal, it's Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V.
Ordinarily, yes. But it doesn't work for copying from the Update Pack Info window to the terminal, does it?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You should be able to copy the info with normal Ctrl-C and then in terminal you can paste it with Ctrl-Shift-V.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “LMDE Archive”