UPDATE PACK 7 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: UPDATE PACK 7 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by clem »

Mint-X was updated for GTK 3.8.

Note that it now consists in two packages: mint-themes and mint-themes-gtk3.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Grrrreat! :D No more problems with unico.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

- Fonts fixed in debian-system-adjustments (although, I've always been bad with fonts.. I can't tell the difference honestly, but anyway, links are automatically added to /etc/fonts/conf.d now).
- aptdaemon 1.1.1 imported.

Monsta, can you tell me more about the apt issue. Afaik it's a cosmetic problem fixed upstream in Debian unstable right? I checked the code in mintupdate, I don't see how different we're supposed to update the cache. Can you give me more info as to how this was fixed by Schoelje?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

- metas fixed
- various apps not starting (system-config-printer, network applet..etc..) fixed... that was the bug Monsta described , about gtk3 and mint-x/unico.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

- libopus0 is now multiarch [please test this as much as you can]
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, I think we're good here...

I'd like more details on mintupdate if possible and feedback on libopus. Other than that the gtk3 segfaults were pretty scary but that's behind us :)

I'm going back to development for now and I'll check back here on Monday. Hopefully then we can move UP7 to latest and prepare announcements.
misGnomer

Post by misGnomer »

Thanks to the crew and all the resident advanced users for greasing the wheels again.

And Clem, it'd be appreciated if you'd keep the userbase a little more in the loop what comes to the development plan of the Debian Edition LMDE in the future.

Thanks!
maxic

Post by maxic »

Mate. Icon text has a black color with a black shadow. Right click on desktop, change background. As applet starts then color of text changes to white.

$ system-config-printer

(system-config-printer.py:3371): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-widgets.css:56:16: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
(system-config-printer.py:3371): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gnome-panel.css:54:18: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
(system-config-printer.py:3371): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:4:15: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
(system-config-printer.py:3371): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: nautilus.css:4:15: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

(system-config-printer.py:3371): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GoaVolumeMonitor is not supported

(system-config-printer.py:3371): Gtk-WARNING **: Style property "border-top-left-radius" is not gettable
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py:113: Warning: /build/glib2.0-Ot8bbC/glib2.0-2.36.4/./gobject/gtype.c:4239: type id `0' is invalid
return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/types.py:113: Warning: can't peek value table for type `<invalid>' which is not currently referenced
return info.invoke(*args, **kwargs)
Kassad

Post by Kassad »

maxic wrote: ...
$ system-config-printer
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
This may solve some of the font problems:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/font ... mments=all
Comment by vwyodajl

2013-04-03 02:12

How come this error keeps popping back up
updating font cache... Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/53-monospace-lcd-filter.conf", line 10: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected

If you manually fix the file from
<test name="family">
<string>DejaVu Sans Mono</string>
<string>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</string>
</test>

to
<test name="family">
<string>DejaVu Sans Mono</string>
</test>
<test name="family">
<string>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</string>
</test>

The error no longer spits out. Seem like this has been a "bug" for many years now is there a reason this does not get fixed upstream?

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

clem wrote:- Fonts fixed in debian-system-adjustments (although, I've always been bad with fonts.. I can't tell the difference honestly, but anyway, links are automatically added to /etc/fonts/conf.d now).
Looks good. There is some difference, the fonts look more smooth, there are less sharp edges... well, like in Ubuntu :)
In fact, I've taken these settings right from Ubuntu's fontconfig-config package.
clem wrote:- aptdaemon 1.1.1 imported.
Looks good too, software-properties-gtk can be started again.
clem wrote:Monsta, can you tell me more about the apt issue. Afaik it's a cosmetic problem fixed upstream in Debian unstable right?
Yes. It's been fixed in 0.9.10 a month ago, but new releases [url=http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/apt.html]keep coming[/url] into Unstable, so the system can't automatically transfer the package into Testing.
clem wrote:I checked the code in mintupdate, I don't see how different we're supposed to update the cache. Can you give me more info as to how this was fixed by Schoelje?
He either threw away or commented the pieces of code with get_indexes calls (among some other stuff) and replaced them with his own code. I can't give more detailed info as the commit is huge. :)
Maybe it's better to ask him directly. The other way is to get apt 0.9.11 from Unstable, the bug will not pop up with it.
clem wrote:- metas fixed
Not entirely:

Code: Select all

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     mint-meta-debian-mate : Depends: mate-mime-data but it is not installable
                             Depends: mate-vfs but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
clem wrote:- libopus0 is now multiarch [please test this as much as you can]
Well, the installation went fine, libopus0:i386 no longer wants to remove its 64-bit counterpart along with pidgin and various multimedia stuff.
As for the thorough testing, we need someone with a real machine to test it in Steam, Wine and Skype. Anyone? :)
maxic

Post by maxic »

Kassad wrote:
maxic wrote: ...
$ system-config-printer
This may solve some of the font problems:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/font ... mments=all
I have no problem with fonts. Printer applet doesnt start.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

maxic wrote:I have no problem with fonts. Printer applet doesnt start.
What GTK+ theme do you use?
roger64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by roger64 »

Hi

OpenOffice4 display problems and Adwaita theme

I have been using OpenOffice installed from the Apache repository for a long time without any problem. When I tried UP7, I experienced display problems with OpenOffice4 Writer. I experienced the same problems with OpenOffice4 Writer on SolydX, both with kernels 3.9.1 and now 3.10.2. LibreOffice 4.1 has NOT these problems.

The cause of the problem seems to be related to the use of the Adwaita theme. At least, when I changed the theme, the problem disappeared. :D
maxic

Post by maxic »

Monsta wrote:
maxic wrote:I have no problem with fonts. Printer applet doesnt start.
What GTK+ theme do you use?
MATE standard theme Mint-X.

Clearity theme starts applet but warnings:

(system-config-printer.py:3601): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GoaVolumeMonitor is not supported
Unknown value for media-col: (unknown IPP value tag 0x34)
Choices: [u'media-bottom-margin', u'media-left-margin', u'media-right-margin', u'media-size', u'media-source', u'media-top-margin', u'media-type']
Selecting from choices: media-bottom-margin

Theme BlackMate (applet starts):

** (system-config-printer.py:3689): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: Ресурс из «/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css» не существует
(system-config-printer.py:3689): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.GoaVolumeMonitor is not supported
dclement

Post by dclement »

Monsta wrote:Looks good too, software-properties-gtk can be started again.
Hmm... It's not the case on the laptop which I used to test the updates:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk", line 38, in <module>
    from softwareproperties.gtk.SoftwarePropertiesGtk import SoftwarePropertiesGtk
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/SoftwarePropertiesGtk.py", line 39, in <module>
    from DialogCacheOutdated import DialogCacheOutdated
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/softwareproperties/gtk/DialogCacheOutdated.py", line 27, in <module>
    import aptdaemon.client
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/client.py", line 70, in <module>
    class MemoizedMixIn(MemoizedTransaction, GObject.GObjectMeta):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 316, in __getattr__
    return getattr(self._introspection_module, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/module.py", line 135, in __getattr__
    self.__name__, name))
AttributeError: 'gi.repository.GObject' object has no attribute 'GObjectMeta'
OTTH, while I observed the problem with the Mint themes (in my case, it affects Synaptic, Evolution and Network-Manager -- at least the applet), I noticed that changing the theme "solved" it, even NM, but after a reboot.

Best regards, Daniel
Jerom

Post by Jerom »

Monsta wrote:
clem wrote:As for the thorough testing, we need someone with a real machine to test it in Steam, Wine and Skype. Anyone? :)
I can do that... Will check Steam for LMDE...

So far so good with UP7, I had a font problem on first reboot (text on "Shutdown..." buttons where only empty squares/not readable : [][] [][][][] [] etc.)

Caja is also eating up 40% of my CPU - how can I diagnose better what he's doing ?
Here's a ps -ef :
userx 9569 2970 39 17:43 ? 00:04:36 caja -n

Edit: Caja is popping up and idling at 40% cpu when I start Chromium apparently :shock: (and goes away when I close it) so I'll check for issues on their side...
Chromium 28.0.1500.95 Debian jessie/sid (213514)

I'll stick to Firefox in the meantime ! :roll:

Edit 2: I'm running LMDE MATE 64bits and I downloaded a file under Chromium that may have caused Caja to infinite loop ?!...
(Anyone with the same issue ?)
Last edited by Jerom on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctrlesc

Post by ctrlesc »

Monsta wrote:As for the thorough testing, we need someone with a real machine to test it in Steam, Wine and Skype. Anyone? :)
Tested on my 24/7 box (no VM): Steam installed but complained that libGL.so.1 was missing at the end of its own download/update. I fixed this with 'apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386', and it runs great. I went through all the menus/store/big picture and did not find any obvious problems. I downloaded and ran Portal with no issues.

I use Wine just for ImgBurn and have not encountered any problems. Overall I'm starting to feel pretty good about UP7 at this point.
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

Smooth sailing here since the Mint-X update.
Riko

Post by Riko »

Hi,

I also upgraded to incoming via update manager. Most things are running fine, didn't have a problem with my theme, but don't run the default themes anyway. I'm using both gnome-shell and cinnamon. Things i noticed:

1) my sound server has disappeared or is not running anymore. There is no audio applet in the task bar and the sound settings dialog does not show an output device. Same result when checking pulse audio manager

2) some gksu (I suppose) started applications do not accept the password. Examples are software center and mintupdate from the menu. The pop-up requesting my password always come back with the message that the password is incorrect. mintupdate from the taskbar work flawlessly, though. Also synaptics accepts the password just fine. starting gksudo from terminal works, gksu does not recognize my password

Other than that, I don't have any issue with the current state of things, at least nothing I noticed yet :)

Looking forward for the final UP release.

Cheers, Riko
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

UP7 is going to latest. Thank you all for helping out with this.

Return to “LMDE Archive”