Update pack 4?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tatewatkins

Update pack 4?

Post by tatewatkins »

Is there any expected ETA on pack 4? Since big packages like firefox are now two versions behind and firefox5 seems to have a problem with syncing :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jackmetal

Re: Update pack 4?

Post by jackmetal »

I was kind'of wondering the same thing. In the meantime, I'm just using the debian backports repository for iceweasel (Mozilla Firefox 7.x Unbranded).
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

It will probally be a while for this update pack. A few major things will be happening 1) Gnome three is really migrating into testing 2) Ubuntu 11.10 (superpowered sloth) is coming out on October 15th and if the Mint team is still spinning ubuntu bases they will be getting ready to release Mint 12. 3) They will need to deal with their own question of interfacein regards to gnome shell. Gnome 2 is officially dead and time is catching up to the distros.

I expect we will wait about 6 weeks for UP4 as all the teams attention now goes into its other edition. This will probally occur for 2 out of the 6 packs as there are two Mintbuntu releases per year.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Firefox issues? I just download the tar.gz package from firefox's download page, and extract to /opt/ (replacing the old "/opt/firefox" directory).

Bam, you have the latest version of firefox.
tatewatkins

Post by tatewatkins »

dritzominous wrote:Firefox issues? I just download the tar.gz package from firefox's download page, and extract to /opt/ (replacing the old "/opt/firefox" directory).

Doesn't that create incosistencies with the package manager then for future updates/removals etc?

If they are stretched that thin it seems i chose badly for my distro choice for them to basically drop one for a couple months/weeks a year.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

It shouldn't. Besides, if you see a firefox update that's older than your version, just deselect it.

I haven't had any problems yet. :D
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

tatewatkins wrote:
dritzominous wrote:Firefox issues? I just download the tar.gz package from firefox's download page, and extract to /opt/ (replacing the old "/opt/firefox" directory).

Doesn't that create incosistencies with the package manager then for future updates/removals etc?

If they are stretched that thin it seems i chose badly for my distro choice for them to basically drop one for a couple months/weeks a year.
Well the Mint team does do a great job overall. They don't drop it, but its normal to focus on a new release alot and of people have great luck with Ubuntu/Mint ubuntu. I prefer Debian personally, I feel Ubuntu is like a superpowered sloth on my machines, its just so awesome and packed with really cool features, but its runs at sloths pace. Everything is more user friendly, like windows, but its clunky and feels like your getting resitance.

I will say that though i dont think the Mint team is stretched too thin because they deliver a quality product I do really think they need to expand their team. Most Major distros have a good number of developers. Clem is an amazing guy, but if he got sick of this or God forbid got sick, would there be anyone else to take over the Mint project? Would it be as good quality? I honestly don't know, but from the community page it looks like there is only a handful of developers. If someone quits or gets sick at Red Hat/Fedora, Debian, the project goes on with others who already know the ropes taking the position they have been groomed for or working towards (ideally). If its a one man show and that man is MIA, they show cannot go on. Just something to think about or clarify with the users. This has been my number one concerns with choosing Mint as a distro. It may be a baseless concern, some distros like slackware have thrived under the same small leadership since the early 1990s. I think with a larger team the devs would be a little less overworked and could take Mint from that 95% pefect distro to that "It just works" distro. Again just something to consider.

Seriously though, mint is a great distro give it a chance and use it for your workflow and you'd be suprised at how 6 weeks isnt that long for updates that propbally won't change your system behaviour anyways. Yes there have been a few hiccups with the new update system, but really its become very polished and functions well.

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone want the new Firefox versions so badly? Is there a new feature or something? I see alot of postings for it but havent had problems with mine, so am just curious.
peterih

Post by peterih »

If "everyone" wants the new Firefox, perhaps it would make sense to make an update pack (3.1) which is just Firefox?
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

Just to point out, AFAIK Firefox has nothing to do with update packs.
Because Firefox is not in Debian repositories and UPs are snapshots of Debian repositories.
Firefox in LMDE is released through the Linux Mint channel (http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian) which is independent from both Incoming and Latest UP repositories.
So it's legitimate to ask for the latest Firefox, but don't expect it with an Update Pack Any.
Tell me if I'm wrong

cheers :)
twa

Post by twa »

Hi,
really.. I don't understand all this mania for the latest version of Firefox.
is the versione installed working OK ??
so sit tight and (do not smoke a cigarette)...just wait for.
cheers
:D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

lmdeman wrote:Just to point out, AFAIK Firefox has nothing to do with update packs.
Because Firefox is not in Debian repositories and UPs are snapshots of Debian repositories.
Firefox in LMDE is released through the Linux Mint channel (http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian) which is independent from both Incoming and Latest UP repositories.
So it's legitimate to ask for the latest Firefox, but don't expect it with an Update Pack Any.
Tell me if I'm wrong

cheers :)
absolutely right 8)
firefox, same as thunderbird, are mint pkgs, and packages.linuxmint is not mirrored hence not depending on the UP; as soon as Mint updates FF, we will get the update.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

zerozero wrote:firefox, same as thunderbird, are mint pkgs, and packages.linuxmint is not mirrored hence not depending on the UP; as soon as Mint updates FF, we will get the update.
Does that mean LMDE will get the Firefox update at the same time that LM12 (RC) is released, since that will surely include the latest version?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the FF v. that will come with LM12 (v.7) is not related with the FF packages in LMDE, so, although we may expect an update in LMDE, it is not tided to the new ubuntu-based release.
lmdeman

Post by lmdeman »

I'd suggest to rename this thread to "Firefox updates for LMDE" or something like that, because "Update pack 4" appears quite misleading now.
By the way... it would be time to test a new UP in Incoming, isn't it? :D
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Why care about having the latest firefox version?

1. Speed/memory usage/bugfixes

2. Security

Heck, Ubuntu gets it, so why shouldn't we? Even WINDOWS gets the latest version of Firefox.
peterih

Post by peterih »

dritzominous wrote:Why care about having the latest firefox version?

1. Speed/memory usage/bugfixes

2. Security

Heck, Ubuntu gets it, so why shouldn't we? Even WINDOWS gets the latest version of Firefox.
I agree. Firefox/Thunderbird are two central applications many people interact with daily. But, maybe we should be asking how to help the people who are working on the Mint versions of these packages?
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

Indeed...

I'd love to help. It's not that hard to build a Debian package. LOL
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Indeed. It takes less than a minute to create a Debian package from a Firefox or Thunderbird tarball from Mozilla's site.
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

Pretty bored now, need new Updatepack soon ;-)
Clem, stop fooling around in Ubuntuland and play with us adults now :twisted: :wink:
TomRoche

"Update pack 4?" -> "how to update the firefox package?"

Post by TomRoche »

lmdeman wrote:rename this thread to "Firefox updates for LMDE" or something like that, because "Update pack 4" appears quite misleading
Dunno how to rename an existing thread, so I forked it to "how to update the repository's firefox package?"

Return to “LMDE Archive”